News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy outgoing voice - one cause

Started by SHardison, June 13, 2011, 01:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHardison

I had callers say that my side was choppy.  I confirmed this by calling my office phone across town and leaving test messages.  One reason for this given by OBi, is trying to call while uploading a large file.  Good point.  Also remember that backup programs talking to the cloud also qualify for large file uploads.  What I found is "Crashplan", which is one dang good backup program, also destroys Obi.  I tried all the router QOS settings I could find in every combination, and nothing worked better than sleeping Crashplan.  So until Crashplan plays nice with OBi, I will be backing up only in the middle of the night.  Problem solved... at least for now.

winger13

however, that is just one issue - one caused in your house.  So far, for the past two nights, I have isolated outbound-only call quality issues only during times when overall internet traffic (like in my neighborhood, city, etc.) is high.  During the daytime, so far outbound quality sounds good.

livefortechnology

I use crashplan and just go into crashplan settings and set the maximum upload to no more than 75% of your upload or leave at least 256k upload minimum.  I have 30m down and 5m up and set crashplan to 4.5m max upload and even turning QOS on the router off have tested and never had voip issues.

winger13

What is "crashplan" ?  I have a D-Link DIR-655 router hooked up to a Comcast SB6120 with 50Mbps/5Mbps service.

Ostracus

livefortechnology

The point was that if you have minimal upload speeds crashplan <can> destroy obi as was stated, but it <can> also destroy every other voip and a million other things if it's not configured properly.....has absolutely nothing to do with any obi shortcomings we've had obi for a year with multiple boxes backing up to crashplan all day long with no voice quality issues.