News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Error- Static, Doesn't Work

Started by hanleymj, September 19, 2011, 08:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanleymj

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help on this. Obi100 w/ GV.

Have followed the instructions to a T. I am stuck in this endless loop:

1- Turn phone on. Have dial tone.
2- Dial cell phone. Cell phone rings.
3- Obi Phone turns into static. Can't hear voice from cell phone. Cell phone can't hear voice from Obi Phone.
4- Turn off Obi Phone. 50% of the time, it loses connection w/ no dial tone. Have to power cycle obi100.

I have tried this w/o router, w/ ObiPhone in DMZ, all have the same issue.

I can ring the Obi Phone. Sometimes I can communicate, other times I get static.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

M105

Have you tried a different phone on the Obi?  Might be a bad phone or phone wire.

If you are using a cordless phone on the Obi, check that it does not operate on the same radio frequency as the router. (2.4 GHz)

hanleymj

Haven't tried another phone. Don't actually have one, may have to go buy a basic one if this is the likely culprit.

Phone is running on 1.9 GHZ and is DECT 6 compliant (if that means anything). Router is 2.4 GHZ

Also, I was able to make a call for about 5 minutes, and everything seemed to be great. At about the five minute mark, static started slowly building up, culminating in a dead/dropped signal.

M105

Quote from: hanleymj on September 19, 2011, 09:12:46 AM
Also, I was able to make a call for about 5 minutes, and everything seemed to be great. At about the five minute mark, static started slowly building up, culminating in a dead/dropped signal.

Hmmmm,  phone battery okay?

hanleymj

Yes, the phone battery is perfect.

Thinking the problem might be interference, I purchased a new cord and moved the phone and base station away from all electronics. I'm still having this issue.

#1 - Fine for a couple of minutes
#2 - Static builds up for a minute or so
#3 - Disconnects call. - The phone still shows as being connected, but I seem to lose the internet connection, if you will.

Thanks all.

M105

Well "static" doesn't sound like a digital problem, however I suppose it could be.  I would try swapping the phone first, just to eliminate it as the culprit.

Does the Obi auto attendant still sound loud and clear after a couple of minutes?  Dial *** and keep it going for a while.

hanleymj

So, I kept a closer eye on it during a lengthy phone call. The OBi seems to power off when I get disconnected. I'm thinking this must be a faulty box. The LEDS all shut off, the power LED turns red.

RonR

The red LED comes on when the unit first powers up or it reboots.  You might have a faulty power supply, a faulty OBi, or a firmware issue.

Is the OBi updated to the latest firmware?  If the problem still occurs with the latest firmware, you might consider resetting the unit back to factory defaults and reconfiguring it before concluding it's a hardware problem.

hanleymj

Firmware was updated as soon as I connected the ethernet cord. Have reset to factory settings ( I think. I used the IVR and chose the appropriate setting). Still having this problem.

How does one check to see if the power supply is faulty? I don't have extra adapters lying around.

Seems like a hardware problem. Anyone disagree?

Everton

Quote from: hanleymj on September 19, 2011, 02:56:23 PM
Firmware was updated as soon as I connected the ethernet cord. Have reset to factory settings ( I think. I used the IVR and chose the appropriate setting). Still having this problem.

How does one check to see if the power supply is faulty? I don't have extra adapters lying around.

I have read most of the threads on this Forum and there is always this propensity for users to want to blame problems that surface with the use of the device, on the hardware.  99% of the time, it is the lack of knowledge, improper setup or other device (e.g., their Router) on their network, that is the source of the problem.  Someone mention that you should test another phone, to eliminate the phone as the source of the problem.  Have you done that?  You can borrow a cheap corded phone from a local store and test and then return it if you so choose.  BTW, is the phone plugged directly into the OBi device or back-fed into your house wiring?

Have you ruled out issues with your own electrical system?  Improper grounding can cause static, as well as other electrical issues.  Can you setup the device at a friend's house to see if the problem persists?  Certainly the issues you mention or remedies employed to date should not lead to the conclusion you arrived at....just saying.   >:(

hanleymj

Quote from: Everton on September 19, 2011, 06:41:06 PM
Quote from: hanleymj on September 19, 2011, 02:56:23 PM

I have read most of the threads on this Forum and there is always this propensity for users to want to blame problems that surface with the use of the device, on the hardware.  99% of the time, it is the lack of knowledge, improper setup or other device (e.g., their Router) on their network, that is the source of the problem.  Someone mention that you should test another phone, to eliminate the phone as the source of the problem.  Have you done that?  You can borrow a cheap corded phone from a local store and test and then return it if you so choose.  BTW, is the phone plugged directly into the OBi device or back-fed into your house wiring?

Have you ruled out issues with your own electrical system?  Improper grounding can cause static, as well as other electrical issues.  Can you setup the device at a friend's house to see if the problem persists?  Certainly the issues you mention or remedies employed to date should not lead to the conclusion you arrived at....just saying.   >:(

Appreciate the response. Couple of thoughts and responses:
- Granted, not an EE or anything, but I wonder if my phone could actually cause the OBi device to randomly hard-reboot during a call.
- I'm dismissing router as a problem, as I initially ran the device with its IP as DMZ. Then when that failed, I hooked it directly to my broadband modem, which also did not address the issue.
- Phone is hooked directly to OBi, not through any wiring systems.
- As far as electrical systems are concerned, I'm not sure how I can assess this, other than to say that I live in a modern apartment building that was constructed in the last 5 years. All of my other electronics function flawlessly. I recognize that this does not preclude a possible wiring problem, but after reading reviews on Amazon, I'm inclined to think it's more likely a defective device than wonky electricity.

Thanks again all for the help!

hanleymj

Just wanted to come full circle and give an update in case someone comes across this issue in the future.

I had ordered a replacement unit from Amazon. I just took the new unit, plugged it into the old setup, updated firmware and set up GV.

Works perfectly now. Seems I just got a 'lemon'.

MI_Joe

I am glad I found someone else with the same issue I am having.  My obi 100 also does this same exact thing.  The call is find for 5 minutes or so, then loud static sets in and a another 30-60 seconds the call is gone.  I do watch my obi 100 device and it never gives a red light or anything.  Perhaps its the unit, but I wonder too if it could be the voltage its sending down the lines during the call.  Perhaps dialing that back a little would help?

MI_Joe

OK... so my problem persists yet.  I just got my replacement OBI100 and have the same replicated problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the problem in detail:
Make or receive call and all is well.  3-5 minutes into the call loud static sets in and I cannot hear the other party, but the other party can hear us.  I have watched the OBI100 device and all lights are green as should be... no red lights.  Hang up and immediately call back the party and 3-5 minutes later same thing.

Configuration:
-Charter Internet, 15mb.
-Linksys WRT120N wireless router.
-OBI100 connected to port on Linksys router.
-Phone line to Obi100 connects 3 phones.  The line from the obi100 is new cat5 using 1 pair (2 wires) to punch down block where the 3 phone lines are using new cat5 lines using 2 pair to the phone jack where the phones are connected.

Here is what I have tried thus far...
-Set QOS on router to high for OBI device
-Swapped original OBI device with new OBI
-Different phones... all do the same thing

What I am going to try next:
-Phone connected directly to OBI100
-OBI100 connected directly to Internet

MI_Joe

***UPDATE***

I tried phone connected directly to OBI100 device same thing.  Tried OBI100 directly connected to cable modem... same thing.

For the record the loud static sets in between 6:50-7:10 every time.  The static lasts 5-10 seconds and then its done.  The call does not disconnect and you cannot hear the party on the line anymore although they can hear you.

I truly am out of options at this point.  Either I got two bad OBi100 devices or there has to be something in the configuration that will help.