News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How about POE (Power Over Ethernet)

Started by 4myphones, March 08, 2011, 02:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4myphones

hello all i have been Voiping for going on 7 years now and its nice to see a TOTALLY NEW PRODUCT on the market
i have used Sipura, (PAP2) InnoMedia (Sunrocket Gizmo) and some GrandStream ATA's all worked well but they are all outdated many designed in 2005

being NEW i would have loved to see this run on 5v DC (like the PAP2) instead of 12v
with 5v the OBi110 would be a real ROAD WARRIOR being able to use even a laptops USB port or the plethora of battery operated USB chargers like for iPods BUT
the need not to leave anyone behind requires 12v for 5 REN LOAD support
while not flawed its kind of like Microsoft's approach to OS never remove any supported device when making a new OS
i am sure there are more ROAD WARRIORS then 5 REN users out there these days

so how about POE (Power Over Ethernet)

QBZappy

Hi,
I agree. The Obi 100 could have been designed with this in mind. Unlike the Obi110 the Obi100 could more easily be considered a portable device. Although the Obi100 is bigger than some other USB or network voip products on the market, it has abilities which make it useful for road warriors. Power over POE or USB is an excellent idea. Even at the cost of loosing the ability to ring more than one phone.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bodywave

OBi 100 only has a REN of 3. If it had a REN of 5 like Linksys PAP2T (on each port!), I'd be comfortable with lowering the REN for the sake of PoE, but if it came down to PoE vs. REN > 1, I'd have to prefer REN > 1.

And yes, I have already invested in PoE switches, so I'm clearly a PoE fan, but it's not my #1 priority.

bts.forklift

Quote from: QBZappy on March 08, 2011, 08:03:45 AM
Hi,
I agree. The Obi 100 could have been designed with this in mind. Unlike the Obi110 the Obi100 could more easily be considered a portable device. Although the Obi100 is bigger than some other USB or network voip products on the market, it has abilities which make it useful for road warriors. Power over POE or USB is an excellent idea. Even at the cost of loosing the ability to ring more than one phone.

These guys make quite a few elegant solutions for providing power to non-PoE devices over Cat-5 cabling:
http://www.panoptictechnology.com/network-smart-adapters/

krpan

Hmmm... I'm showing my ignorance here... but isn't the power available over PoE (12.95W or more) greater then what the provided power supply (12W) supplies?

Wouldn't that mean that PoE should be possible without sacrifices (other then maybe extra cost  :))?

Ostracus

Quote from: bts.forklift on May 09, 2011, 07:32:56 AM
Quote from: QBZappy on March 08, 2011, 08:03:45 AM
Hi,

These guys make quite a few elegant solutions for providing power to non-PoE devices over Cat-5 cabling:
http://www.panoptictechnology.com/network-smart-adapters/

That's not a bad idea...except that I believe Obihai only warranties their device if you use their power supply.