News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with Obi/GV once again....

Started by otherwhirl, March 07, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkNova

Quote from: RonR on March 10, 2012, 03:41:24 PM
I always suspect the router in these cases.

The best test is to temporarily plug the OBi directly in the modem, bypassing the router.  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct  connection.  Then make sure the OBi is connected to the Internet by calling the echo test at **9 222 222 222.

Next, see if the problem you're wrestling with is gone.  If it is, the router is likely the source of the problem.  If the problem is still present, then it's obviously not the router causing it.

In my case it is definitely not the router. I powered off everything and connected the Obi110 directly to my cable modem (bypassing the router), powered everything up, the Obi110 used DHCP to get an Internet IP and the same thing happened.

tamishouse

I have the exact same problem and it started on 3/8/12. Outbound calls work perfectly, inbound calls ring but when answered there is dead air.

I have opened the specific firewall ports in the FAQ.
I am not seeing any denied traffic to or from the Obihai 110.
I updated to the latest firmware on Obihai110
I allowed all ports to and from (except port 80) to the unit.

Here is what is happening on call setup

OUTBOUND (working):
Call 1 03/11/2012    11:34:38 
Terminal ID PHONE1 GoogleVoice1
Peer Name   
Peer Number 1xxxxxxxxxx 1xxxxxxxxxx
Direction Outbound Outbound
11:34:38 New Call 
11:34:43  Call Connected
11:39:53 End Call 

INBOUND (not working):
Call 2 03/10/2012    14:13:19 
Terminal ID GoogleVoice1 PHONE1
Peer Name   
Peer Number 1xxxxxxxxxx
Direction Inbound Inbound
14:13:19 Ringing 
14:13:40  Call Connected
14:13:44 End Call

tamishouse

Here is an active call log incomming:

Call 1           
Terminal 1 Terminal 2
Terminal ID GoogleVoice1 PHONE1
State connected connected
Peer Name   
Peer Number 1xxxxxxxxxx 
Start Time 09:54:28 09:54:28
Duration 00:00:12 00:00:05
Direction Inbound Inbound
Peer RTP Address 173.194.79.127:19305(relay) 
Local RTP Address 192.168.xxx.xxx:4648 
RTP Transport UDP 
Audio Codec tx=G711U; rx=G711U 
RTP Packetization (ms) tx=20; rx=20 
RTP Packet Count tx=265; rx=102 
RTP Byte Count tx=45112; rx=17544 
Peer Clock Differential Rate 0 PPM 
Packets In Jitter Buffer 0 
Packets Out-Of-Order 0 
Packets (10ms) Interpolated 289 
Packets Late (Dropped) 0 
Packets Lost 0 
Packet Loss Rate 0 % 
Packet Drop Rate 0 % 
Jitter Buffer Length 190 ms 
Received Interarrival Jitter 6 ms 
DTMF Digits Received 0 
Jitter Buffer Underruns 0 
Jitter Buffer Overruns 0 
Sequence number discontinuities 0 
skew compensation 0 ms 
send silence 0

DarkNova

Quote from: tamishouse on March 12, 2012, 09:46:28 AM
I have the exact same problem and it started on 3/8/12. Outbound calls work perfectly, inbound calls ring but when answered there is dead air.

Yours is behaving differently than ours as ours is not working for either outbound or inbound. I'm not sure if this problem is related or if it is a different problem.

tamishouse

I did see that Google is now trying to connect back into the Obihai but this is being closed by the Obihai right after it connects.

Mar 12 2012 09:53:45: %ASA-6-106015: Deny TCP (no connection) from 74.125.128.106/443 to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx/16171 flags RST ACK  on interface outside

Search Whois

IP Information for 74.125.128.106
IP Location:
United States Google Inc
ASN:
AS15169
Resolve Host:
hg-in-f106.1e100.net
IP Address:

DarkNova

After continuing to experience this issue, I saved the device's configuration to a file (System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration), then did a factory reset by holding the small switch on the back with a paperclip for 10 seconds, then I loaded the configuration back into the device. I was attempting to test if something was messed up in the device that could be fixed by a wipe and reload. It continued to malfunction.

Next, I did a factory reset again and reconfigured Google Voice from scratch, without reloading the configuration. This time everything seems to work. I am able to do both incoming and outgoing calls.

So it would appear that there was something in how the Obi110 was originally configured that was causing a problem, but did not manifest itself until recently.

I did a diff on the two config files and they are almost identical, but have a few small differences. I do not know enough about the config options to know the significance, but hopefully someone in Obi's support can use this to identify and fix the issue.

But in the meantime, you may want to try a similar factory reset and reconfigure and see if that fixes your problem.

richardcoop

My theory is that the obi110 usually gets better voice quality than other VOIP devices because it uses more data and some sort of smoothing algorithm to improve quality. .

In the Obi when the data flow is inadequate the voice starts breaking up or, in extreme slowdowns, no voice is received. In cable Internet connections, the upload speed is much slower than download speed. You can see your own data speed by looking at the site speedtest.net  Since the internet speed limitation is on the upload or sending side the problems all reported are people who can't hear on the other end because the outgoing data flow is inadequate, but you can hear them.

I have been following the upload speed of my local Cox Cable connection using speedtest.net and find that it varies widely. This weekend, when I was having problems, the speed was  lower (2 Mbits/sec) less than half what it is now.

Does this make sense? It would be useful to see more speed data from other troubled installations to confirm my theory It would be interesting to see what the internet speed that is required for good performance of the Obi. A solution would be for Obhai to rewrite the smoothing algorithm so that it is more tolerant of lower internet speeds.

DarkNova

Definitely not what was happening in my case. My internet speed was still testing fast the whole time and the problem immediately went away after the device was wiped and reconfigured. If you chart it, the Obi doesn't actually use that much bandwidth in the grand scheme of things.

dvbhardware

When everyone had this issue in this thread, my service was working fine.
Now I am having this problem for incoming calls only. As an alternative work around, and if you have a phone app turn it on to connect to GV with Groovip Lite to bypass the Obhai for incoming calls
See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2773.0

Jimmy

kenny113

I too am having this issue with a Obi110. Dead air on inbound and outbound calls. It just happens randomly. Not every call. Not every third call. Just random. Rebooting doesn't seem to be a resolution. Sometimes it still does it after a reboot.  Even after a reboot of the entire home network. Nothing has changed in my home network config. This started happening about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm going to go ahead and factory reset/reconfigure my device and hope it fixes it. I have a friend in Chicago who is having these same issues with a brand new Obi100 that he just purchased three weeks ago. Perhaps something with GV changed or perhaps something strange happened with the last firmware update.

DarkNova

When I was having this problem and ended up doing a factory reset, the key difference between not working and working seemed to be that ITSP Profile A -> RTP -> X_UseSSL was not checked in the working configuration. But this was before the latest firmware update, so I don't know if something changed with that, but you can see if this is checked.

kenny113

I think you might be on to something there... That setting changed to off in mine after the factory reset and reconfigure as well. So far it seems to be working fine over the course of 5 phone calls. We'll see if it keeps working...

kenny113

Scratch that... The issue just started happening again. It's not an Obi issue at all. I'm having the same issue using GV through Gmail at the moment. Call connects and then just dead air.

kenny113

GV must be having some intermittent issues. I just bypassed my router and turned off my firewall and I'm still having the same issue calling through Gmail. I've called a handful of different numbers now and it's all just dead air. I just called my cell phone and it was dead air for a little over a minute and then it started working. Then the next call I made was back to dead air again.