News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can OBI110 cause my DSL modem to glitch?

Started by Tominct, March 08, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominct

Hi Guys - I am having a problem that is not obviously linked to OBI110, just circumstantial evidence.  My DSL modem started  glitching. (the link to the substation gets unstable and status light flashes).   When I pull the plug on the OBI110  the modem stops misbehaving.  This happened once before.  There was a firmware flash that came out and the problem went away.  The difference is that before the OBI status lights were flashing in an odd way when the modem glitched, but today they are green.

My home configuration has not changed in 6 months so its not that I added a new printer or changed anything on the wireless.  I have not applied any firmware updates to my router or other gear either, cant speak for the obi update history since  sometimes it updates automatically.

I logged into obi and there is no pending firmware to apply, so the device seems up to date. My obi plugs into my Asus RT-N16 wireless router which in turn plugs into the modem. (A Westell wirespeed which has been working for years with no issues).  It is possible that the modem has reached an age where I am getting intermittent failures that just coincide with the obi being plugged in.  We will see.  .

Wonder if that solar storm is at fault here.

carl

modems/routers have a rather limited life expectancy, especially those running 24/7 in hot/humid environment. But I had a while back a similar problem and after I went through two gateways ATT finally admitted that it was their line which was not good. So you never know...

Tominct

It was the dsl modem.  The thing just got flakier and flakier as during the afternoon, cutting in and out.  It was only  coincidence that it behaved for a short time without obi attached.