News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

intermittent failure - red light no dial tone

Started by greggler, March 09, 2012, 07:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greggler

I've been using an obi110 with google voice for about a month now and it works perfect except for 4 events where the light on the obi goes red and the dial tone goes away.  In every case the situation persisted until i rebooted the obi and then it proceeded to work perfectly. 

Sounds like a bug.  How can I troubleshoot the root cause on this?  Are there any log files to retrieve off the device or specific items to note next time it happens?

RonR

I would suggest you first reset the OBi to factory defaults and reconfigure it.  If the problem persists after doing that, come back and seek other troubleshooting alternatives.

greggler

thanks for the suggestion and i will try it tonight but it seems a more like a random catch-all guess rather than logical troubleshooting.  this is a brand new unit with only minimal and ordinary google voice configuration applied since being purchased. it worked instantly out of the box and continues to work 99% of the time.  i'm doubtful that this type of quirk is a result of a mistake with the few small config choices involved in google voice setup.

does anyone have any info about how to extract error logs from the device to see what is really happening behind the scenes?

Stewart

Quote from: greggler on March 09, 2012, 01:25:35 PMdoes anyone have any info about how to extract error logs from the device to see what is really happening behind the scenes?
In System Management -> Device Admin -> Syslog, set Sever to the address of your PC and run a syslog server or Wireshark to capture the output.

Given your red light symptom, I'd guess that setting up static IP and/or 100 Mbps full duplex (see RonR's post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2203.0 ) might help.

greggler

perfect, i didnt see that setting when browsing around.  i'll setup a syslog server and start capturing logs today.