News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[S]Obi 110 with Anveo 'codec' question.

Started by Robert.Thompson, March 13, 2012, 01:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

I have never touched the codec settings on my Obi 110 - they are 'as delivered'.

The question is whether I should be touching them at all and, if so, are there particular settings for best call quality when using Anveo as my SP?

Edit: It seems Anveo supports G.711, ulaw (PCMu)

Should I disable all codecs other than G.711?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

pc44

My understanding is that G729 is the best in most typical scenarios and that the Obi's will automatically kick down to G711 if that is the codec your VOIP provider supports.

I'm sure someone else like Ron, QBZappy, jimates, etc. will fill us in on this shortly, but I don't think you have anything to worry about for G711u  :)

RonR

G711 is a much higher quality Codec than G729.  G729 is typically used in bandwidth limited situations.  Each Codec has a priority assigned to it which allows you to set an order of preference.  The default is:

1: G711U
2: G711A
3: G729

If you limit yourself by disabling Codecs, you may have calls refused because you don't allow the only Codec the called party supports.

I would recommend leaving the Codecs alone unless you have a specific problem you're trying to solve.

Robert.Thompson

Thanks guys, I'll leave my codecs alone. :)
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com