News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound GV call problem - get dead silence when call is answered

Started by TroyB, March 13, 2012, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyB

Scenario is as follows:

1) Make call from cellphone to OBI (home phone).
2) Answer home phone, hear dead silence.
3) Caller's phone (cell phone) continues to ring until GV voicemail picks up
4) Can make outbound calls through OBI110 with no issues

This problem started around 3/8/12 and it has been hit or miss. Sometimes the call goes through and works and sometimes it does not. Most of the time it does not work (like 95% of the time). Used a different VOIP box and service through same home network and that VOIP box/service works just fine. Tried reloading OBI110 firmware, reset OBI box to defaults, reloaded configuration from scratch, deleted config and reloaded GV from scratch. Nothing fixes this problem. I have read some of the other recent similar forum posts but those are talking about outbound issues (which I am not seeing). This is 100% an inbound issue.

OBI110 box is shown a status of GREEN on the Obi Dashboard and GV is shown as connected. Everything shows as normal but inbound calls do now work. It seems that the phone is telling the OBI box that it has answered the call but the OBI box is not routing the audio to the phone plus telling the network to go ahead and pass the call on.

Does anyone have any ideas?   ???   :(

Thanks,

Troy

Everton

In situations like this, the first thing to do is to bypass your router and connect the OBi ATA directly to your Modem.  Power up the Modem first and once "online"/Ready, attached your OBi ATA.  Do a Test call to see if it works properly.  If it does, then the issue is related to your Router.

Do you have the other VOIP ATA connected to your LAN at the same time as the OBi ATA?  If yes, maybe you might want to disconnect the other ATA, power cycle the Modem/Router/OBi ATA and test to see if incoming works.

richardcoop

Just started having the same problem today, also.

Emailed obihai tech support.

TomM

Been having the exact same issue for a few days using an Obi100.  At least we get an email from GV for a missed call and can see who tried to call.  Have checked setups and router settings and still can't find a solution.  E-mailed tech support also.

TroyB

It's not a problem with my other VOIP ATA as they both have been plugged into my LAN and working fine together. I use my other VOIP ATA for 911 calls and as a backup in case my Obi110 goes south (or has problems like this). The problem started around the 8th, but I had the Obi110 in-use for many months now with absolutely no issues. This is the first time I have seen any issues with my Obi110.  :(

Now, I did hear back from Obihai Tech Support and they told me to press "1" after I answered the home phone to see if the call now connects. Once I pressed "1", the call went through and I heard the caller (and the caller's cellphone stopped ringing). I have asked Obihai Tech Support why I have to press "1" to make the call connect after I press "TALK" on my cordless phone. I am waiting for their response but I feel it is either the Obi110 box configuration has been corrupted or maybe the Obi110 box is now defective (cannot detect off-hook condition)

It's like the DTMF digit "1" triggers something in the Obi110 box to get the call to answer. It seems that the Obi110 box is no longer detecting an off-hook condition to connect the call, and pressing "1" is a way to "force" the call to connect.

I hope to hear back from Obihai tech support soon. I had to move over to my backup VOIP ATA to keep inbound calls working in my house but I am still using the Obi110 to make the outbound calls.

RevKev

The "press 1" is Google's Call Screening. Turn it off in the OBi at Voice Services, SPx Service, SkipCallScreening (checked).

TroyB

RevKev

It's my understanding that with SkipCallScreening checked, the OBi will automatically "press 1" for you - and that GV always has the call screening enabled through the chat phone even if you disable in it GV.

I could be wrong though so you could try making sure it's disabled in GV and see if that makes a difference.

I have it checked in OBi and disabled in GV.

TomM

I understand the "press 1" for call screening and that may be part of the problem but, I miss calls because sometimes the phone never rings.  I only know the call was missed because it was me calling home or an email from GV saying we missed it.  Never had this problem until recently.

Agate

Same problem here too. Started yesterday. Doing more testing today **9 222 222 222 works perfectly. I use Google Voice. On outbound calls, ringing is heard then silence. Inbound calls to the Obi, the box rings the phone but when I pickup no voice connection, the other end continues to Google Voice mail. Using 1.3.0 (2675) firmware.

OBiSupport

The Obihai support team is aware of the issue where answered inbound calls are met with silence while the far end continues to hear ringing, eventually going to voice-mail.

This issue has been observed by a relatively small number of users. If you are experiencing the behavior described above, feel free to report this using the Open a Support Request form on the Obihai web site.

AndrewH

I'm suffering from this problem as well. I first noticed it on the 12th. Call screening was initially enabled on Google Voice, but this problem persists even after I disabled it.

I filled out the support request form, but am posting here too for good measure.

Agate

Here is the fix:

System Providers --> ITSP Profile A --> RTP: X_UseSSL (set this to default, make sure the box is NOT checked)

RonR

Quote from: Agate on March 14, 2012, 10:00:16 AM
Here is the fix:

System Providers --> ITSP Profile A --> RTP: X_UseSSL (set this to default, make sure the box is NOT checked)

X_UseSSL is disabled (unchecked) by default.  How did X_UseSSL get enabled?  Did you enable it, did the OBiTALK Web Portal mistakenly enable it, or what?

AndrewH

Pressing "1" after receiving an incoming call w/ silence did not help.

Stewart

Quote from: AndrewH on March 14, 2012, 10:51:00 AM
Did you also confirm that your problem is not the issue posted by Agate?

AndrewH

Quote from: Stewart on March 14, 2012, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: AndrewH on March 14, 2012, 10:51:00 AM
Did you also confirm that your problem is not the issue posted by Agate?
Yes. X_UseSSL is NOT checked. It is grayed out, and the Default box is checked.

TroyB

I also just checked the same parameter and X_UseSSL is disabled (unchecked) by default in my Obi110 configuration. So that is not the problem either.

I have confirmed that pressing "1" after I take the call (while I hear the silence) does get the call to go through 100% of the time. It seems to force the call to connect.

I hope to hear back from Obihai tech support later on today.

RonR

Quote from: TroyB on March 14, 2012, 11:21:28 AM
I have confirmed that pressing "1" after I take the call (while I hear the silence) does get the call to go through 100% of the time. It seems to force the call to connect.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Having X_SkipCallScreening enabled (checked) is supposed to be pressing the '1' for you.

Agate

RonR, I run 12 of these boxes, all using Google Voice. Only 2 started having behaviors in the last 3 days as follows: Inbound calls would ring but upon pickup no one seemed to be connected. The calling party would eventually ring through to Google Voice mail and be processed normally from that point forward. From the calling parties perspective it seemed like no one answered the call was handled by voice mail.

Outbound calls would sometimes connect, sometimes not. If they did not connect to the called party number, there would be one ring heard then go silence.

Upon checking all 12 boxes settings, only 2 had this problem, and only 2 had the X_UseSSL box checked.