News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 can neither make nor receive calls today

Started by R_Chandra, March 14, 2012, 06:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R_Chandra

I started noticing this morning when someone called me that I got no audio when picking up the phone.  I had X_SkipCallScreening turned on, so after about a second, I should have heard a click and someone talking.  Next I tried to call out, but likewise, I had ringing (ringback, one burst) but no audio.  I looked at Google's GV "known issues," and they mentioned some number of users not being able to send/receive calls through GMail (I'm not sure, but I think uses XMPP and Jingle, much as the OBi does).  Then I disabled the call screening skip feature, and still no dice.  I don't even hear the prompt to accept the call/send to voicemail or whatnot.  If I configure GV to ring my VoicePulse number instead, the call goes in my SPA2000 and then through my OBi110 LINE port and all is well...so it's not audio in the adapter that's zapped; it's that it doesn't seem to want to interact properly with GV any more.  Even calls initiated via the Web page going through "Google Talk" will ring my phone, but will not complete the call(s).  It's been out all day today.  I've rebooted and even powercycled the OBi several times, and even rebooted my router.

The difficult part is, beyond changing some settings here and there, I don't know Jingle (or XMPP for that matter) well enough to diagnose any further.  Besides...wouldn't that be encrypted (so that the credentials aren't sent in the clear)?

I hope this isn't the same "arms race" that the Gaim/Pidgin developers faced when IM networks decided to change their protocols (like Y! Messenger) pretty much just to try to lock out 3rd party IM clients.  Then the Gaim developers basically had to reverse-engineer the protocol again to see what the native client was doing differently.  Similarly, I hope GV didn't change something so that OBi needs to do an update to their firmware.

R_Chandra

Well, then...I was puttering around today with reloading factory defaults and such, and while that didn't really help, I just made two successful GV calls, one local, one toll-free (+1(866)402-7366, or Boost Mobile).  So...perhaps Google have resolved whatever issue they were having...dunno.