News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call using Gmail's "Call Phone" feature (instead of Google Voice)?

Started by gkas, March 14, 2012, 02:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkas

Is there a way to start a call from the Gmail "Call Phone" link and have it ring the phone that's connected to the Obi?

Here's some background: for a few months before I bought my Obi, I used a PC headset to make Google Voice calls. This is really convenient using the link "Call Phone" in the chat menu at left, esp. since I can type a few letters of the person's name, select it, and it dials for me -- no need to type in numbers.

But now using the Obi connected to a phone, I can ONLY use Google Voice to dial. (note: VOICE, not Gmail). I have to open a new browser tab and go to Google Voice page, click Call, find the contact, and click Connect. Then it will ring my phone.

But Gmail's "Call Phone" still wants to use the headset connected to the PC, not the Obi-Phone Can I make Gmail use the Obi-Phone?

NOTE: This topic was originally here, but we got off topic due to other unrelated technical issues:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2466.msg15936#msg15936

jimates

I have to open a new browser tab and go to Google Voice page, click Call, find the contact, and click Connect.

You can type into the search box at the top of the page at google voice, just like you do in gmail. Of course that is after you navigate to the page.

If you choose google talk as the phone to call with and select "remember my choice" it will always use the google talk (Obi).

gkas

Thanks for responding, but I think you may have missed my point. I don't want to open Google Voice every time I need to make a call. I have Gmail open anyway. I can initiate calls from there but ONLY using the PC headset which is not my preference. I'd love to initiate a call from Gmail that uses my Obi. But maybe it's just not possible?

Another solution might be widget added to Gmail that looks up contact data and then initiates a Google Voice call, but I can't find such a thing.

jimates

I understood. I minimized the steps it takes but there is no other option. The Obi uses the google chat feature of gmail, so when gmail is open you cannot make the Obi ring and google chat not ring.