News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi/google out, att in

Started by gworona, May 12, 2011, 06:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gworona

I think this kind of setup will work just fine, but being a newbie, I just wanted to make sure.

Originally, I wanted to eliminate the monthly charge to ATT for my land line by porting my number to tracfone and then to google voice and use the google voice/google chat/obi110 solution documented in this forum.  After porting my number to tracfone, I find that google will not port it from tracfone to google voice.  So if I go back to ATT but get a cheap, "no long distance" plan, can I configure/connect the obi such that:

1. when I call out can I just dial the number and it will go through google (no long distance charges, no special dialing sequences)
2. when someone calls my long-held home phone number, my home phone will ring just like before
3. 911 will call the local 911 dispatch center

M105

Yep, that is the default setup on an Obi110.  Just set up Google Voice on SP1, plug your phone into the phone port and plug your landline into the line port.  The landline will ring through to your phone and 911 will go out over the landline.  All calls will by default be placed via Google Voice.

ProfTech

That is not entirely correct. What you are wanting the system to do is 100% possible and not very difficult to set up. However, the default setting in the Obi 110 is to send anything you dial to Ma Bell unless you press **some number first. You would need to massage the outbound map a little bit and possibly [would have to look at it] the phone port digit map as well in order to make any dialing go to Google. Not sure if Obitalk could do it for you or not.

RonR

Quote from: ProfTech on May 12, 2011, 01:22:03 PM
That is not entirely correct. What you are wanting the system to do is 100% possible and not very difficult to set up. However, the default setting in the Obi 110 is to send anything you dial to Ma Bell unless you press **some number first. You would need to massage the outbound map a little bit and possibly [would have to look at it] the phone port digit map as well in order to make any dialing go to Google. Not sure if Obitalk could do it for you or not.

Actually, no changes are required to anything but:

PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Then all calls will go out SP1 (Google Voice) by default without any changes to DigitMaps or OutboundCallRoutes and 911 will automatically go out the LINE Port.

M105

Quote from: RonR on May 12, 2011, 01:28:19 PM
Actually, no changes are required to anything but:

PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Then all calls will go out SP1 (Google Voice) by default without any changes to DigitMaps or OutboundCallRoutes and 911 will automatically go out the LINE Port.

You are right Ron and if I remember correctly setting up Google Voice via the wizard or portal sets the primary line to SP1.  If not, it is easily done, so basically what gworona wants is the default setup for an Obi110 configured for Google Voice on SP1.

jiminalaska

QuoteI find that google will not port it from tracfone to google voice

Why was Google unwilling to port it from the tracfone to google voice?

Quote from: gworona on May 12, 2011, 06:04:36 AM
I think this kind of setup will work just fine, but being a newbie, I just wanted to make sure.

Originally, I wanted to eliminate the monthly charge to ATT for my land line by porting my number to tracfone and then to google voice and use the google voice/google chat/obi110 solution documented in this forum.  After porting my number to tracfone, I find that google will not port it from tracfone to google voice.  So if I go back to ATT but get a cheap, "no long distance" plan, can I configure/connect the obi such that:

1. when I call out can I just dial the number and it will go through google (no long distance charges, no special dialing sequences)
2. when someone calls my long-held home phone number, my home phone will ring just like before
3. 911 will call the local 911 dispatch center

lavarock7@gmail.com

On reason may be that the person wishing to port lives in an area Google "does not support". Try to port any 808 area code to Google.

-- snipped from the Obi forum --

Msg: Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.
For some area codes, Google Voice does not support porting, e.g. Hawaii (808), Alaska (907). If you get this result when you enter your land line number, you will not be able to port you number to Google Voice. It is of no use to complete the steps below.

--

http://obihai.com/porttutorial.html