News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ooma and Obi on same network

Started by makitso, March 15, 2012, 06:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makitso

Is it possible to have an Ooma device and Obi plugged into the same router?  The idea is to have Ooma manage the house lines and incoming calls on the Ooma number would ring on the home phone.  The Obi would be connected to a separate phone line in the office and be used for outbound calls.

Second related question.  I have a Google Voice number that now forwards to the Ooma number.  If I add an Obi into the system would that be a problem? 

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: makitso on March 15, 2012, 06:57:54 AMIs it possible to have an Ooma device and Obi plugged into the same router?  The idea is to have Ooma manage the house lines and incoming calls on the Ooma number would ring on the home phone.  The Obi would be connected to a separate phone line in the office and be used for outbound calls.

Unless you have a funky router or have set up some special port forwarding for the Ooma, you should not have a problem.

Quote from: makitso on March 15, 2012, 06:57:54 AMSecond related question.  I have a Google Voice number that now forwards to the Ooma number.  If I add an Obi into the system would that be a problem?

No, but if you decide to switch your Google Voice account to the OBi you'll have to change the forwarding in your Google Voice account to go to Google Chat rather than the number associated with the Ooma.  You may need to log into the associated Gmail account and place at least one call from there (using your web browser) if you have never done that before, so that the Google Chat/Google Voice linkage gets set up properly.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.