News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 doesn't like my Netgear GS108T Managed Gigabit switch

Started by Kurter, March 19, 2011, 11:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurter

I pulled out a lot of hair over the last 12 hours finally realizing that I didn't have a DHCP issue after all....the simple fact is that the OBi110 device doesn't want to connect (reliably) at anything > 100MB-half duplex.

Wow, everything was easy after that. 

P.S. If you don't have a managed switch to dial down the speed on that port, may I suggest a cheap 10/100 switch.

RonR

My OBi is plugged into a Gigabit capable router (Netgear WNR3500L) and has been happy from day 1.

Kurter

I agree it appears to be a incompatability with this particular "GS108T 8 port [managed] switch" which I picked up for > $150 at Staples. 

It is agreed: it works great with every other network device in the house, but just not one of my two core switches.  (The other switch is also a Netgear gigabit 8 port [unmanaged] switch, which runs a different segment in my home network).  I didn't want the OBi located on this switch, as this is where I bury the DirectTV whole home networking streaming and the rest of the NetFlix (and other Apple AirPlay type of) streaming.   

I am noting this issue as OBi and others may not want to assume this device works at 1000MB on {all} devices. When it doesn't work, or work reliably: and it's a managed switch, they can just dial down the speed (on the switch side) and get it working.

As a systems engineer who meddles with this stuff all day long, it was about the VERY last thing on my checklist after about 12 hours of Wireshark tracing as I had it connected [via] various Cisco routers to the switch in question and watched it work... Only when directly connected is it a problem, and only then, at 1000MB and FULL duplex.

I thought I had seen one other reference on the forums to this (not working on a particular switch), but even at that, had discounted it as you did, based on your [and others] instant success.

Long story short, OBi now works for me too and I'm happy as a clam and wondering when the OBi100 is coming out for my 2nd purchase...

plugger2

The OBi110 connects to my 1000/100 switch (Dlink DGS-1008D) at 100Mbps, so I simply assumed it is a 100Mbps device.  My Linksys SPA3102 also connects at this speed. Everything else is 1000Mbps.

Were you trying to force 1000Mbps to the OBi110 on the managed switch?

(Edit: confirmed as "10/100BaseT Ethernet Port (802.3)" in OBi110 HW specs http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi110DS.pdf)

yhfung

I also have the Negear GS108T and did not experience any problem at all.

Have you switched off your Netgear switch in order to flush away the old information stored in your switch?

Or check the management web page of your Netgear switch about the status of the port that OBi110 is connecting to see if there any optioned associated with this point.

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

Kurter

Model Name            Hardware Version                   Boot Version              Software Version
GS108T                       1.0.0.1                              V1.0.0_02                     3.0.4.10

I tried everything including looking for newer firmware and power rebooting to reset the bridge table, and everytime I plugged the OBi into that port on that switch, the web interface always showed the link "down".

Ultimately, everything is just fine with it (forced) to 100MB/half on that port....Next adventure.

MikeF

I had the same problem (Obi etherenet not connecting) with a D-LINK DGS-1224T (24 port gigabit smart switch).

Worked fine with other switches, but no amount of messing with port configuration could get it to work the the 1224T.