News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up "callback" to work around XMPP going away

Started by Hortoristic, November 22, 2013, 11:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

I've been an OBI user for some time and have pieced together some somewhat sophisticated dial plans to keep in touch with family in UK and Canada for free - but am struggling with the notion of making use of "callback" as a working around to GV XMPP going away.

Maybe I have some wrong assumptions; but I thought I was seeing an implementation where when I dial a number via my VOIP provider (I have voip.ms for calling international); and it somehow dials GV instead; which then makes use of the callback feature and GV behind the scenes connects the number I dialed with the phone I'm dialing from - thereby not using my VOIP outgoing minutes for entire call duration, but using my free incoming VOIP minutes instead?

Sort of getting lost on the concept how it works though; if above is correct does it use the smallest billing time slice to make the initial VOIP call - so for example it might round up to the first quarter minute for all outbound calls, then the rest of the call is the free incoming DID minutes?

Am I misunderstanding how it all works?  I did spend some time researching call back - but not seeing something to defend or shoot down my assumptions.

gderf

Maybe I don't understand it either, but AFAIK the only way to get a "callback" situation that lets GV call you back via a free DID is to use the web browser when logged into your GV page.

That's how I do it, mostly via the GV plugin for Chrome which can access my contact list, or allow me to type in a number, or call any number I find in a web page that appears as a link.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

Currently the Obi uses XMPP to initiate a callback from Google Voice.  The Obi makes it appear to be a direct outbound call.  Once XMPP goes away you will need to initiate a callback via the web unless a fix comes along.  Google Voice calling is free to US and Canada.  I don't know how you would be getting free UK calling unless both parties are using VOIP.

With callback your Voip provider is only used for incoming calls which is free with most VOIP providers.
Long live our new ObiLords!

sdb-

Quote from: giqcass on November 22, 2013, 06:50:37 PM
Currently the Obi uses XMPP to initiate a callback from Google Voice.  The Obi makes it appear to be a direct outbound call

The XMPP approach does not use a callback.  It is a direct outbound call.  (See the 'Jingle' protocol.)

In the future a callback will be the only mechanism unless a replacement for Jingle over XMPP is found.  That replacement may be via some aspect of the Hangouts API/protocol.

giqcass

I am quoting other peoples explanations of the hack so I can't guarantee the accuracy but as I understand this particular hack it uses callback.  Obi uses XMPP with GV in a way it was not meant to be used.  It just plays a ringtone while it's happening so it appears to be direct dial. 

Either way there are seamless callback solutions that will continue to work after XMPP.  The question is whether ObiHai will add them.  My guess is no based on their blog post.  I think a raspberry pi running an open source PBX will be the new(old) thing for seamless Google Voice calling.
Long live our new ObiLords!