News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bootstrap Problem: No IP, no way to assign IP! [Obi110]

Started by vman, March 19, 2012, 02:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vman

Well, this is a rather interesting difficulty.

I have an Obi110, and want to assign it a static IP.  I don't have a DHCP server, and don't want to waste time setting one up just for this one device.  I also lack a working touch-tone phone.  I had intended to dial *** and try to set the IP that way; but it turns out my only old-fashioned POTS set is broken (oops!).

How do I get an IP so I can log in via the Web interface?  I need to get this working ASAP.

Thanks duly for any help.

RonR

Quote from: vman on March 19, 2012, 02:08:21 PM
How do I get an IP so I can log in via the Web interface?  I need to get this working ASAP.

Attach a working touch-tone telephone to the PHONE Port jack and dial : ***4

The OBi does not support pulse/rotary dialing.

Stewart

Please describe your networking environment (modem make/model, router make/model, etc.)  Most modems can issue an IP address via DHCP and most routers include a DHCP function.

If you have a computer with two NICs, you can set it up to e.g. share the Wi-Fi Internet connection to the Ethernet port.  DHCP is enabled by default.  You may need a crossover cable or switch in the path, if the Ethernet NIC is not auto MDI/MDX.

Some free programs, such as TFTPD32 for Windows, include a DHCP server as an auxiliary function.

If the intended application for the OBi will use the Phone port, it's simpler to just get a phone that can send DTMF.