News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it okay to leave the Uverse gateway setting for Obi in DMZ plus mode ?

Started by carl, February 08, 2012, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Because I had problems with one way audio on my second Localphone DID, I had to change the configuration of the 2 wire u-verse gateway to DMZ plus mode.
Localphone gave me an additional account for the second DID , but I cannot register it on Obi100 because I already have GV and my US localphone    DID on my Obi 100. :-\

Anyone here who knows ? I would not leave my regular computer exposed to  DMZ plus mode.

Stewart

Instead of DMZ Plus mode, you may be able to forward just the SIP port, or possibly work around the problem with STUN.

If you must use DMZ Plus, forward ports that you don't want exposed to a dummy (nonexistent) device.

If you have DIDs on two LP accounts and want them to ring to the same place, get a free iNum DID for the account that the OBi registers to and set the iNum to forward to SIP device (the default).  On the other account, set the foreign DID to forward to the iNum (free).

carl

Hi Stewart,
The issue with the 3600HGV gateway is that there is no manual and no real technical support for it- it is a propriatory device and ATT simply will not answer any questions whioch go beyond setting up you internet service.
Looking at the system info of the gateway my computer is still in Private (NAT) mode while Obi100 is now in DMZ plus mode.( it needed an Obi reboot to get there). So my assumption is ?? that my computer is still okay, while my Obi is exposed to all kinds of things ??  .
I quite frankly, do not see any way to do hacks in the gateway, especially with no manual.
The only possibility which it gives is let certain applications pass through in the " individual application settings" option. I am wondering which application that woould be in my case. I tried the port forwarding the way the other poster recommended with no success.
The screen looks more or less as follows:

Allow device application traffic to pass through firewall

By default, the firewall blocks all unwanted access from the Internet. You can allow access from the Internet to applications running on computers inside your secure home network by enabling firewall pinholes. Opening firewall pinholes is also known as opening firewall ports or firewall port forwarding. To do this, associate the desired application with the computer below. If you cannot find a listing for your application, you can create a user-defined application with the protocol and port information.

To allow Internet traffic or users through the Firewall to your LAN devices, applications and servers

1) Select a computer

Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall
Choose carl-PC
Choose carl-PC
You have chosen OBi100

2) Edit firewall settings for this computer

Maximum protection - Disallow unsolicited inbound traffic

Allow individual application(s) - Choose the application(s) that will be enabled to pass through the firewall to this computer. Click ADD to add it to the Hosted Applications list.

Filter Applications by

Application List

Hosted Applications

•All applications
•Games
•Audio/video
•Messaging and Internet Phone
•Servers
•Other
•User-defined

Age of EmpiresAge of KingsAge of WondersAliens vs PredatorAnarchy OnlineAsheron's CallBaldur's GateBattleComBattlefield CommunicatorBlack and WhiteDark ReignDark Reign 2Delta ForceDelta Force 2Descent 3Descent FreespaceDiablo (1.07+)Diablo IDiablo IIDialPadDirectX GamesDNS ServerDoomDune 2000Elite ForceEverquestF16, Mig29F22 Lightning 3F22 Raptor (Novalogic)Falcon 4.0Fighter Ace IIFighter Ace II DXFreetelFTP ServerGhost ReconGnutellaHalf LifeHeretic IIHexen IIHotline Connect 1.9HTTPS ServerI'76IMAP ServerIRCKALIKaZaALapLink GoldLIVvELocation FreeLotus Notes serverMechWarrior 3Mechwarrior 4Midtown MadnessMotocross MadnessMotorhead serverMSN Gaming ZoneMSN Gaming Zone DXMyth: The Fallen LordsNeed for SpeedNeed for Speed 3Net2PhoneNetMechNetmeeting, Default PCNNTP ServerOKWebOKWinOutlawspcAnywhere v7.5PhoneFreePOP3 ServerPPTP ServerQuake IIQuake IIIQuake III ServerRainbow SixRed AlertRise of NationsRise of RomeRoger WilcoRogue SpearShoutCast ServerSlingboxSMTP ServerSoldier of FortuneSpeak FreelySSH ServerStarCraftSWAT3Telnet ServerThe 4th ComingTiberian Sun: C&C IIITimbuktu ProTotal AnnihilationUltimaUnreal ServerUnreal TournamentVia VideoVNCVoxPhone 3.0Warbirds 2Web ServerWebPhone 3.0WinMXX WindowsXBoxXP Remote AssistanceXP Remote DesktopYahoo Pager

Add a new user-defined application

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) - Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the "Allow individual applications" feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: On LAN devices which have a Private IP address, once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

I can try to do the thing with i- numbers however considered the difficulties getting Localphone working. ( among other the necessity of re routing of my outgoing calls by LP , special dialing codes needed for the digitmap and whatever, it might be challenging to fix anything without screwing up the achieved.

RevKev

Given that your problem is with audio (as opposed to connection), I would guess RTP is the issue.

First, take your OBi out of DMZ mode.
Second, try Stewart's suggestion of using a STUN server.

If that doesn't work, try forwarding RTP ports to your OBi...

1. Select your computer
select your OBi

2. Edit firewall settings
Allow individual applications
Add a new user defined application
Add:
   Application name: RTP
   Protocol: UDP
   Port range: 16600-16998

carl

Hi RevKev,
I would not know how to handle the STUN server configuration, which as everybody says, may not work anyway
But I tried your recommended user defined application and unfortunately, the problem remains the same ( as a matter of fact it got worse first, but after rebooting the gateway additionally to Obi it got back to the same one way audio.)
So, for now the Obi is back in DMZ mode and I at least created a very strong password for Obi and the gateway (maybe it does some good). :(

RevKev

Using OBiTalk, from the OBi Dashboard, click on your OBi Device. Then OBi Expert Configuration, OK, Enter OBi Expert. Click ITSP Profile A General ( or Profile B) and ...

STUNEnable (checked)
STUNServer (the name of a valid STUN server - may be provided by your service provider)      
X_STUNServerPort (default 3478 or that provided by your service provider)

Click submit.

Other ports you can try forwarding...

Application name: SIP
   Protocol: UDP
   Port range: 5060-5061

Application name: OBiTALK
   Protocol: TCP & UDP
   Port range: 10000

Note also that your service provider may use alternate ports for either or both SIP and RTP. If so, you'll need to adjust the port forwarding accordingly. But if that were the case, you probably had to set those ports in the OBi as well.

One way you may be able to tell what ports are being used is if you can set your gateway to log incoming traffic on the DMZ (while the OBi is still in DMZ mode). The check the log for the ports being accessed when you make or receive a call.

carl

I will have to try the 5060-5061 forwarding once I have a second person here making the test calls.( 5060 is the LocPh. proxy server port)
The gateway is supposed to log all traffic but I could not discover anything there after I made a call. Last thing it showed when the incoming audio was blocked I guess.
Last 3 entries of the event log : 
INF

2012-02-08T20:34:33-05:00

fw,fwmon

src=81.201.84.27 dst=81.201.84.27 ipprot=17 sport=10822 dport=16802 All traffic dropped

INF

2012-02-08T20:34:38-05:00

Previous log entry repeated 244 times

INF

2012-02-08T20:34:38-05:00

fw,fwmon

src=81.201.84.27 dst=81.201.84.27 ipprot=17 sport=10823 dport=16803 All traffic dropped

mykmayk

darned localphone! it doesn't want to play nice with u-verse's 2wire modem. even if i put the obi in dmz mode, the only way for the called party to hear me is if they put their line on mute.

without putting the obi in dmz, the other party can hear me fine even without putting their line on mute, but i can't hear them.

so, while i'm on u-verse (which i plan to switch soon), i'll just have to use callcentric. no problems for them although localphone still has better rates to the location i call often. bummed!
əʞɪɯ mɪke

Stewart

Quote from: mykmayk on February 09, 2012, 09:16:47 AM
darned localphone! it doesn't want to play nice with u-verse's 2wire modem. even if i put the obi in dmz mode, the only way for the called party to hear me is if they put their line on mute.
Possibly, there is a problem at Localphone unrelated to your network.  From your GV or cell phone, call a Localphone access number, enter your account number and pin, then dial your problematic destination.  If that call has audio problems, it's unrelated to your setup; put in a ticket with Localphone.

If the above test is ok, try again, this time from your Callcentric account, dialing 011883510008268800 (Localphone iNum calling card access number).

If that is also ok, try this workaround: Add the destination number to your Localphone Contacts, if you haven't already done so.  To your Localphone list of your phones, add the caller ID that your Callcentric account is sending.  On the Local Numbers page, change your Location to International (iNum) and you'll see an iNum corresponding to your contact.  Call that number using Callcentric, and you should be directly connected.  Cost is the same as using Localphone directly; the Callcentric leg is free.  Though latency will be somewhat worse, there shouldn't be any other quality degradation.

carl

So far, I have tried everything recommended here with the exception of the STUN server, for which I need more info from Localphone. No success. Due to the time zones, I will have the answer from them tomorrow and hopefully the last ditch effort helps.
One interesting thing is, what I mentioned before , that I cannot register a X-lite soft phone at all, not even in the DMZ mode for the computer ( which I got out from in minutes).
So for now I am leaving Obi in DMZ.
Interesting is indeed that Callcentric seems not to have those problems while Localphone, Anveo, etc manage to frustrate everyone without an IT engineering degree.
The biggest scandal is off course , the semi monopolist ATT and their service and hardware.
>:(

Stewart

Quote from: carl on February 08, 2012, 09:21:26 AM
Because I had problems with one way audio on my second Localphone DID, I had to change the configuration of the 2 wire u-verse gateway to DMZ plus mode.
Localphone gave me an additional account for the second DID , but I cannot register it on Obi100 because I already have GV and my US localphone    DID on my Obi 100.
Am I missing something?  If you put things back the way they were, you should have no DMZ Plus, with everything working except the foreign DID.

Then, get an iNum for the Localphone account with the US DID, test that it works by calling it via an iNum gateway, then forward the foreign DID to that iNum.

carl

One thing what you might be missing because it was mentioned in the previous threads but not that explicitly in this one is the issue of voice mail pick up.
in the old setting, the Localphone voice mail did not pick up and the call got dropped after 4 rings. Now,in the DMZ, the voice mail is still not picking up but the phone keeps on ringing until it times out. Since I just sold my Panasonic cordless because it sounded horribly with VOIP and intend to get a V tech which in their 2 handset version comes with a answering machine I can let the answering machine pick up the Local Phone calls without interfering with GV calls.
Yes, I will give the i- number thing  a try if the STUN server stunt does not work however it was so difficult to get the original setting to work both with Obi and Localphone which had to re rout the calls and special dialing codes and whatever that I am a bit reluctant to take measures which further complicate things.
:)

carl

Localphone does not have a STUN server.
I-number solution may work, however it would mean to go back to the more serious type of voice mail problem plus the caller ID would show a " weird " number.
So, that's the end of the line for now. We stay in DMZ mode until :( a better solution is available or the ATA screws up.   ::)

RonR

Quote from: carl on February 10, 2012, 08:20:19 AM

You do not need to use a particular STUN server.  Any/all STUN servers should work equally well.  I use:

stun.ideasip.com

carl

Quote from: RonR on February 10, 2012, 09:43:29 AM
Quote from: carl on February 10, 2012, 08:20:19 AM
Any/all STUN servers should work equally well.  I use:

stun.ideasip.com

You do not need to use a particular STUN server.  Any/all STUN servers should work equally well.  I use:

stun.ideasip.com

Any idea what would be the STUN server port number then?

RonR

Quote from: carl on February 10, 2012, 10:31:09 AM
Any idea what would be the STUN server port number then?

STUN server ports are almost always 3478 (Default checked).

carl

Thanks. I will give it at try whenever I get the chance and report.

xzy118

Quote from: carl on February 10, 2012, 11:47:24 AM

Carl, just curious if you have succeeded in figuring out using localphone with Uverse gateway.  I tried everything (including enabling stun server)but still unsuccessful.

carl

Quote from: xzy118 on March 19, 2012, 07:08:21 PM
Quote from: carl on February 10, 2012, 11:47:24 AM

Carl, just curious if you have succeeded in figuring out using localphone with Uverse gateway.  I tried everything (including enabling stun server)but still unsuccessful.

No, I have not, but I have not given up on it completely. For now, the gateway remains in DMZ + mode for Obi. It works well, except that the Localphone voicemail never picks up so it keeps on ringing forever. I will have in about a week a new phone with answering machine solving that.
A bit more annoying is that I cannot activate X-lite nor use the Localphone softh phone.Obviously, I will not let my computer into DMZ!.
I put superstrong passords on both the Obi and the gateway and so far I experienced no problems with leaving it in DMZ.
Maybe the new Obi 202 with it's own router brings some progress into this. ::)