News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Line port use breaking Call Return (*69) feature?

Started by RyanG, March 16, 2012, 10:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanG

If I connect my standard phone line to the Obi 110 line port, the Call Return feature breaks. Works fine otherwise. Here's my setup:

* Primary line: SP1 service (which is Google Voice)
* Phone is connected to Obi Phone port
* Phone line through which I receive my DSL internet connection is connected to router/modem to which Obi is connected
* I have a second, extension, phone line connected to the Obi line port. (I did this so I may have 911 calling via my PSTN service.)
* CallReturnDigitMaps is set to default in the Obi admin page

Here's how I tested:

1. I call my google voice number and Obi rings the attached phone. Expected.
2. I hang up without waiting for an answer.
3. I dial *69 and get this message "There is no call route available to connect your call." Not expected.
4. I disconnect my phone line from the line port and dial *69, the phone rings the number that called me. Expected.

What could be causing the problem at step 3?

RonR

I have the exact same configuration you described and *69 works here with or without the LINE Port connected to the PSTN Line.

What is shown in the OBi Call History for the failed *69 call?

RonR

Can you successfully make outgoing calls through the LINE Port by dialing **8 + number?

RyanG

Thanks RonR. No, I could not make a call using the **8 - I got the same error message. However, I think I got it fixed.

In Obitalk portal, went to Physical Interfaces -> PHONE

Set CallReturnDigitMaps = ...,{li:(<**1>xx.)}, instead of default value of ...,{li:(<**8>xx.)},

That's the advice I was given. Not sure why it worked.

However, I'm noticing a different problem associated with using the line port. Now when I answer a call I hear complete silence for the first 5 seconds followed by a short tone and two beeps and then I can hear the other person. It happens consistently when I have the line port connected. Doesn't happen at all when I disconnect the PSTN line from the line port.

Have you had this experience? Any ideas how to fix?

RonR

Quote from: RyanG on March 19, 2012, 10:04:46 PM
Have you had this experience? Any ideas how to fix?

No, my LINE Port works as expected.

If your PSTN line is inbound only and cannot be used for outgoing calls, then it makes sense to change the CallReturnDigitMaps as you did, since the result will be to have incoming calls from the LINE Port retuned via SP1 when *69 is used.  If that's not the case, I don't understand the reason for the change.

RyanG

Your understanding is correct. I did make the change so that all outgoing calls, including *69 ones, would use SP1 and not the PSTN line since I cannot make long distance calls on my PSTN line. I can make 911 on the PSTN line though and this is the reason I want it connected to Obi.

Let me demonstrate something else that I have a question about and may shed some more light.

With PSTN line connected to obi line port, I call my GV number. I look in the call history and see this:

Call 2   03/19/2012    22:43:23   
Terminal ID   LINE1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
22:43:23   Ringing   <------Note that it's ringing on LINE1
22:43:25   End Call

I disconnect PSTN line from obi line port and make another call. Here's what the history shows:

Call 1   03/19/2012    22:45:22   
Terminal ID   GoogleVoice1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number   18185701293   
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
22:45:22   Ringing   
22:45:24      Call Connected
22:45:37   End Call

Can you figure why it rang on LINE1 even though I called my GV number and *not* my PSTN? I want it to ring on GoogleVoice1 if it call my GV number.

RonR

Do you have Google Voice set to ring your PSTN number in addition to Google Chat?  That could account for the symptoms you're describing.

RyanG

Brilliant! Thank you Ron!

My GV account was set to ring both my land line number and Google Chat. I unchecked the land line number and that fixed the Call Return problem.

Another problem this fixed is whenever I have the land line connected and receive a call, I'd always hear a brief tone followed by two sharp beeps (similar to the Obi call waiting notification). It would never happen when I didn't have the land line connected. I believe this was happening because Google was ringing my Google Chat subsequently which got routed to Obi as a call.