News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ac hum Obihai 110

Started by blueray, November 12, 2012, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueray

Using Obihai 110.  Phone connected to landline port have bothersome ac (60 cycle) hum when using the landline port.  The hum is not bothersome when using Google Voice on the same phone.

When I access the landline (**8) and then disconnect the ac adapter from the Obihai, the hum diminishes.  The hum is also present on other phones connected to landline but not on Obihai.  The hum diminishes on them as well when I disconnect the Obihai 110.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the hum?

Rick

Quote from: blueray on November 12, 2012, 03:43:24 PM
Using Obihai 110.  Phone connected to landline port have bothersome ac (60 cycle) hum when using the landline port.  The hum is not bothersome when using Google Voice on the same phone.

When I access the landline (**8) and then disconnect the ac adapter from the Obihai, the hum diminishes.  The hum is also present on other phones connected to landline but not on Obihai.  The hum diminishes on them as well when I disconnect the Obihai 110.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the hum?

It MIGHT be caused by a crappy phone with lousy shielding.  You could try unplugging each wall phone one by one and see what that does.  Often people put a cheap wired phone (not portable) somewhere so if they lose electricity they can still make a call.

If that doesn't do it, count how many devices you have plugged into the wall (do NOT include any portable phones operating off a base unit, just count the plugged in base unit).  You MIGHT have too many units plugged in.

Given that it's still present when you have no OBi on the line, I would examine the wiring at each outlet and see if perhaps you have a loose wire or maybe one touching something.

If that's not it, post back.

richfiddler11

Try a different power supply for the Obi, it's pretty well documented that the one they ship is cheap and noisy. I just had the same AC Hum problem and tried all kinds of things -- powerline filters, better quality phone cords, different phones and nothing got rid of the 60Hz hum.

Then I tried a supply for a linksys router (12V, 1000mA, positive center) -- cleared the AC hum right up. Search around, you'll find lots of suggestions for specific supplies. I also tried a Radio Shack 12V 500mA supply that worked fine as well.