News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need helps to setup Obi110

Started by Hoang, March 28, 2012, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoang

Hi,

I am new to this stuff.  I bought the Obi110 two weeks ago.  I added several numbers of my relatives to my Obi110 trusted number list so that they can use their landline or cellular phones to call my Obi110 box, and AA (Automatic Asistance) of my box guides them to call Canada or other US states. 

I have 2 smart phones which have Obion apps installed.  I put their Obi # on my Obi110 trusted number list but AA doesn't pickup to guide me to dial different landline # in other states.  Can you give specific instrustions how to do that.   

For example, I have
           Obi # of my Obi110    200 111 222
           Obi # of smartphone1 290 123 456
           Obi # of smartphone2 290 654 321

I want to use smartphone1 (290 123 456) calls **9 200 111 222, and I want AA of Obi110 respond and allow me to call another number from other states.

Thanks,
Hoang

RonR

Quote from: Hoang on March 28, 2012, 03:00:44 PM
I want to use smartphone1 (290 123 456) calls **9 200 111 222, and I want AA of Obi110 respond and allow me to call another number from other states.

To allow Smartphone 1 (290 123 456) and Smartphone 2 (290 654 321) to use the Auto Attendant of the OBi, set the following in OBi:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute : {(290123456|290654321):aa},{ph}

Hoang

RonR,

Thank you very much.  It works.  I need to read more.

Hoang

Lateralg

My situation:
A) Obi 110,  B) Two Google Voice numbers, C) Will retain long-held land line & number at cheapest rate, D) Answering machine connected to wall RJ-11 which is the base unit for two cordless phones, E) Second base unit, which can be easily connected to Obi 110, supports two cordless phones ,  F) Good-old corded phone connected to wall via RJ-11.  G) I've been using an Obi 100 for several months, and very happy with performance.  H) Three people now using the "system".

Needs:
1) I need to be able to make VOIP call to anywhere in US at any time, and still have an open line for others to make a no-cost call.  2) I'd like to have a phone number dedicated to my incoming calls.  3) Answer incoming VOIP or land-line calls on any phone.  (I guess 1 & 2 say I need a line dedicated to me)

Questions:
1) Can I do this?
2) If so, how do I configure my system?
3) Do I have capabilities beyond my needs?
4) What does the "Line" port enable me to do?
Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

RonR

With two Google Voice accounts configured on an OBi, you have the capability of 4 outgoing and/or incoming calls in any combintion (each Google Voice account is capable of two sessions).  The LINE Port is intended to be connected to a PSTN Line, but can also be connected to another device which simulates a PSTN Line, such as an Ooma, ATA, Skype adapter, etc.

By default, all incoming calls ring the OBi PHONE Port.  Certain callers can be routed to the Auto Attendant instead in order to make new outgoing calls while still having the ability to reach the PHONE Port.  Outgoing calls use a particular trunk by default as selected by the PrimaryLine setting, but an alternate trunk can be selected by first dialing a Service Route Access Code (**n).

You may wish to declare one of your Google Voice accounts (say SP1) as your 'line', giving you the ability to receive an incoming call while on an outgoing call (with the aid of Call Waiting).  This would be the 'published' number to reach you at.

The other Google Voice account (say SP2) could be configured for authorized callers to use for placing new outbound calls via the Auto Attendant.  Those callers can still reach you by pressing 1 at the Auto Attendant prompt.  The Auto Attendant can also be configured to call the caller back if they hang up before the Auto Attendant answers so they aren't charged for the call.  Callers not routed to the Auto Attendant will still ring the OBi PHONE Port.  You can still use SP2 for outgoing calls by first dialing **2.

Configuring the OBi is the easy part.  Deciding exactly how you want it to operate is the bigger challenge.  Once you decide, I'd be happy to assist you with the configuration.

Lateralg

Thanks Ron; that gets me started.  Need a couple of clarifications:

The meaning of "Trunk" as used in this context:
" Outgoing calls use a particular trunk by default as selected by the PrimaryLine setting, but an alternate trunk can be selected by first dialing a Service Route Access Code (**n)."

So with the 110 I can have 4 concurrent calls going?  And with my 100, two concurrent calls?
If my cordless phone says "line in use", I could make a call without interrupting the one going on?

Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

RonR

Quote from: Lateralg on April 13, 2012, 03:16:53 PM
The meaning of "Trunk" as used in this context:
" Outgoing calls use a particular trunk by default as selected by the PrimaryLine setting, but an alternate trunk can be selected by first dialing a Service Route Access Code (**n)."

Trunks are connections to the outside world (SP1, SP2, OBiTALK, LINE, VG1, etc.).

There's an explanation of Trunks and Endpoints in the OBi Device Administration Guide.

So with the 110 I can have 4 concurrent calls going?  And with my 100, two concurrent calls?

It's four with both.  The only difference is an OBi100 is missing the LINE Port.

If my cordless phone says "line in use", I could make a call without interrupting the one going on?

You'd push the FLASH button to put the existing call on hold and then make a new outgoing call.

Stewart

Quote from: Lateralg on April 13, 2012, 11:20:23 AM
A) Obi 110,
G) I've been using an Obi 100 for several months, and very happy with performance.
I don't understand your intent.  If you will have both OBi devices at the same location, you can easily set them up for concurrent calls, with some limitations imposed by your present phones.

For example, you might connect the system with the answering machine (and phones A and B) to the Phone port on the 110, and the other base (with phones C and D) to the 100.  The 110 Line port and the corded phone (E) would connect to wall jacks (landline).  With proper setup, an incoming call on either GV number would ring A, B, C and D.  Let's say your wife answers on A.  At this point, you could make an independent GV call from C or D, but not from B.  Likewise, a second incoming call, on either GV number, would ring C and D, as well as signaling call waiting to A.  In some combinations, a third call would be possible on E.

If you will have only the OBi110, concurrent calls would require using the landline for one path (no problem for incoming, callback or click-to-call would be needed for free outgoing).  Or, a separate path could be provided by an OBiON app on a smartphone, tablet, etc.

How would you like to use GV voicemail and/or the answering machine?  Some combinations may not be possible, because phones A and B are part of the answering system, and GV voicemail will always answer after 25 seconds.

Lateralg

I now have only a 100.

My original intent was to buy myself a 110, and give 100 to daughter.  But the possibilities you mention have me reconsidering: Maybe I buy a 110 for both her and me, leaving me with a 100 and a 110.  I have to think about that.  I'm likely to stay with original plan.

Can you put the following in terms of what it means to an every-day user?

"Key Features of the OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and Telephone Adapter:
Aggregation and Bridging of Two (2) SIP and/or Google Voice, One (1) OBiTALK & One (1) Land Line (POTS) Services"

"aggregation" and "bridging"

Beyond not understanding the meaning of the two words, it seems that:
"... Two (2) SIP and/or Google Voice, One (1) OBiTALK & One (1) Land Line (POTS) Services ..."
Actually means  "... Two (2) SIP and/or Google Voice, OR One (1) OBiTALK & One (1) Land Line (POTS) Services ...".

It could be concluded that, as originally written, it can bridge and aggregate:
SIP1
SIP2
GV1
GV2
1 ObiTALK
1 POTS

Even though I don't know what bridge & aggregate mean in this context, I kinda doubt that they can do all of this.

Another issue: How does OBi save cell phone costs?  It seems that as long as a cell phone has a connected call, the clock is running & minutes are being consumed.  What am I missing?

My apology for being so dense on issues that are second nature to those helping.  I can give several reasons why OHC is better than pushrods, and why a 6-speed transmission is better than 5-speed, but the terminology & functions related to OBi are a tough study for me.
Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

Lateralg

Another question:

Assume I have 110, GV, & land line.

If I'm on a GV call, and there's an incoming call on land line, will I get a call waiting alert, and the opportunity to switch between the two calls?

I assume the same answer applies if I'm initially on land line call & there's an incoming GV call.  Correct?
Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

RonR

Quote from: Lateralg on April 14, 2012, 02:14:57 PM
Assume I have 110, GV, & land line.

If I'm on a GV call, and there's an incoming call on land line, will I get a call waiting alert, and the opportunity to switch between the two calls?

I assume the same answer applies if I'm initially on land line call & there's an incoming GV call.  Correct?

Yes, Call Waiting works with all trunks.

Lateralg

Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

RonR

Lateralg,

In simple terms, an OBi supports two service providers, the OBiTALK Service, and a PSTN Line (OBi110).

The two service providers can be Google Voice and/or SIP providers, in any combination.

If at least one of the two service provider channels is configured for SIP, additional SIP providers can be configured on Voice Gateways for outbound calling only (it may be possible to accept incoming calls via these SIP providers also, but not via the Voice Gateway).

The OBiTALK Service is a proprietary service provided by Obihai for interconnecting OBi's and OBiON Apps.

The OBi supports bridging (connecting) up to four calls between endpoints and/or trunks.

Some cell phone services provide free incoming calls.  If yours is one, you can configure the OBi such that you call the OBi, hang up before it answers (therefore not incurring a cell phone charge), and the OBi Auto Attendant will call you back.  From the Auto Attendant, you can connect to the OBi PHONE Port or place an outgoing call using one of the OBi's service providers.

Lateralg

Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

Stewart

With just one OBi110, a GV account and a landline, you can set up the system to allow some concurrent calls.  For example, the landline is connected to both the Line port of the OBi and phone A.  Phone B is connected to the Phone port of the OBi.  GV is set to both the landline and Google Chat.

When a GV call comes in, both A and B will ring and you can answer from either.  If you answer from B, a second call to either number will still ring A (and give call waiting to B).  If you answer from A, the landline is in use and a call to the landline will get a busy; a call to GV will ring B.

If phone A is in use, you can make a call from B (on GV only).

If phone B is in use, you can make a landline call from A.  You could also make a GV call from A, by triggering it from your computer, using the OBi callback feature, or dialing through GV.  This last method would be charged as a local call on the landline.

If you have a smartphone, the OBiON app can be used as an additional calling path.  You can connect via Wi-Fi where available, or over 3G.  The latter uses cellular data and quality is often poor, especially when in motion.

Lateralg

Thanks Stewart.

The capabilities of OBi far exceed my expectations.  It's good to know about them.
Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary