News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

no ringing 'home' GV Number when calling forwarding cell phone

Started by Copper, March 27, 2012, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copper

I can't get my GV number to ring when calls are made directly to my cell phone.  My intent is to be able to pick up "a" phone at home without having to lunge for an elusive cell phone.

I'm scouring this board for clues and checked the basic GV, GMail / GChat(talk) & OBi install instructs to no avail.  I know how to login to web portal from IP.  Any ideas how to isolate & remedy the problem is appreciated!

RonR

Do calls from other people to your Google Voice number arrive at your OBi as expected?

Do calls forwarded from your cell phone to your Google Voice number show up in the Google Voice Call History?

Copper

RonR, thanks for your reply!  Yes to your first question.  I have called the cell number ('forwarding phone' on the GV a/c) many times, but the only time a GV call history record of it is if I leave a voice mail.

RonR

Quote from: Copper on March 28, 2012, 07:46:35 PM
I have called the cell number ('forwarding phone' on the GV a/c) many times, but the only time a GV call history record of it is if I leave a voice mail.

A forwarding phone on Google Voice is a phone that Google Voice calls whenever someone calls your Google Voice number.  The forwarding phone on Google Voice named Google Chat, if enabled, sends calls to your OBi whenever someone calls your Google Voice number.  If the forwarding phone on Google Voice that's your cell phone number is also enabled, Google Voice will also ring your cell phone when someone calls your Google Voice number.

If you have your cell phone set to forward all calls to your Google Voice number, calling your cell phone should ring your OBi, assuming the Google Chat forwarding phone on Google Voice is enabled.

In advanced settings for your cell phone number in your Google Voice account, make sure you have the following setting:

Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?

No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

jimates

Copper,

Normal process is that when someone calls your google voice number the call is routed to all selected forwarding phones in your google voice "phones" list.
This should be your cell phone and the Obi (google chat). In order for direct calls to your cell phone to ring your Obi, you would have to forward those calls to google voice.

You can set up conditional call forwarding on your cell. This would direct all unanswered calls to your cell number to google voice. You can also choose to replace your cellular carrier voice mail with google voice's voicemail so all your voicemail is in one place.

For your cell phone at google voice select Edit -> Show Advanced Settings -> Forwarding Options -> Ring my other phones before going to voicemail

That way any unanswered call to your cell are forwarded to google voice and google voice will ring your Obi before sending the call to voicemail. Keep in mind this could result in extended ring time for the caller who may hang up before the call is answered.

Copper

jimates, you had me at a mouse twirl downwards!  I feel like I should be pressing and holding the space bar down instead of hitting a space bar once.  The forwarding options is indeed a third choice, I knew that - just below ring schedule.  I hope you can find my humor in my duh moment.  Thanks for your help, and appreciative to you and RonR!