News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice: pretty useless for Canadians, right?

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 09, 2012, 11:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

I have a Google Voice account which I setup to get free long-distance calls on my android smartphone using Google Voice Callback. (I get unlimited free incoming calls.)

Now that I am about to switch to an OBi 110 for voip, I was wondering if Google Voice has any value to me?

I can make free calls on the OBi using either my Gmail account or my GV account but other than that, is GV useful?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RevKev

It sounds to me like you have 2 google voice accounts. One under your gmail account and one under another email/google account.

You can use either or both with the OBi. You can use one with the OBi and one with your android. With the OBi, you'd get the same free long-distance from your home phone that you currently get with your android. But you wouldn't have to go through the callback steps. Just dial the phone and, if configured properly, the call goes out over GV.

Quote...but other than that, is GV useful?
What do you consider useful? Free calls, voice mail (via email)? Other features of the OBi?

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RevKev on February 09, 2012, 04:28:58 PM
It sounds to me like you have 2 google voice accounts. One under your gmail account and one under another email/google account.

You can use either or both with the OBi. You can use one with the OBi and one with your android. With the OBi, you'd get the same free long-distance from your home phone that you currently get with your android. But you wouldn't have to go through the callback steps. Just dial the phone and, if configured properly, the call goes out over GV.

Quote...but other than that, is GV useful?
What do you consider useful? Free calls, voice mail (via email)? Other features of the OBi?

Hi RevKev:

I guess I am confused about the purpose of the actual GV phone number - does it allow people to call it for free from anywhere in the US or does the caller pay long-distance charges?

A regular Gmail account plus an OBi gives free out-going calls. Does GV give your callers free in-coming calls?

Sorry for my confusion about GV, maybe I think that it is more than it really is.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RevKev

Google, nor anyone else, can change your caller's phone service/plan. So no, it does not allow people to call it for free. People who call it do so using their own phone and service plan.

You can, however, get a GV number in a different area than your own. For example, if you have friends/family in Houston TX, you can get a Houston TX number so calling it would be a local call to the people in Houston.

The purpose of a GV number isn't really any different than the purpose of any other number. It is to make and receive calls. Google gives you some unique features such as enabling you to route incoming calls to different phones. The OBi lets you use your house phone to directly dial and receive calls via your GV number.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RevKev on February 09, 2012, 05:52:00 PM
The OBi lets you use your house phone to directly dial and receive calls via your GV number.

Thanks RevKev. :)

How do I get my OBi to receive call via my GV number?

I don't think that I understand what you mean?

Thanks for your patience,
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RevKev

If you setup your Google Voice account in the OBi and plug a phone into the PHONE port, you can receive calls to your Google Voice number. It will work very much like an ordinary telephone (POTS) line. When someone dials your GV number, your phone will ring. When you pick up your phone and dial a number, depending on OBi configuration options, your call will go out through GV.

Wilbour

I am in the process of getting an OBI110 so the following is hypothetical to a degree. I live in Canada and have an American Google Voice phone number. The number is the same area code as my American inlaws. At the moment they can call my number (local call for them) and I can answer using my computer but it has to be on and I never liked talking to my laptop and having my conversation over speakers. Yes I could use a headset/microphone but that still limits it's use to having the computer on and only one location in the house. With the OBI110 I can have all my phones in the house, corded and cordless ring when they call. And I can call them with any phone in the house. All this is done without long distance charges for anyone.

jimates

Quote from: Wilbour on March 30, 2012, 04:58:00 PM
I am in the process of getting an OBI110 so the following is hypothetical to a degree. I live in Canada and have an American Google Voice phone number. The number is the same area code as my American inlaws. At the moment they can call my number (local call for them) and I can answer using my computer but it has to be on and I never liked talking to my laptop and having my conversation over speakers. Yes I could use a headset/microphone but that still limits it's use to having the computer on and only one location in the house. With the OBI110 I can have all my phones in the house, corded and cordless ring when they call. And I can call them with any phone in the house. All this is done without long distance charges for anyone.
this is correct, as long as the service provider where the Obi is located does not restrict voip, the location of the Google Voice number and the location of the Obi cause no limitations.

I would like to know if someone in Canada that is new to both google voice and the Obi can use it for their local calling. Any type of simple configuration with another voip provider?