News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Solved: Could Not Complete Your Call

Started by Jeff205, March 09, 2011, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff205

When I try to dial out, I get a message saying "We could not complete your call.  Please try again.".

-  I have followed MichianTelephone's install procedures, reviewed the YouTube video install, and voxilla.com's install.
-  I am not logged in to any gmail account while trying to dial.
-  My ObiTalk portal shows that the provider is connected.  I did have a second provider listed initially, but I removed it just in case it was causing an issue.
-  I can not receive incoming calls either.  The Obi phone never rings and eventually goes to my voicemail.
-  I have tried 7-digit, 10-digit, and 11-digit dialing.
-  This is a Google transferred account.

What have I missed?

Jeff205

I setup a non-transferred account and it works.

MichiganTelephone

Please define "a Google transferred account."  Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

Anyway, pick up the phone attached to the OBi, and dial * * * then 1 and listen for the IP address.  Navigate to that IP address in your web browser (you will need your admin password). On the first page to appear, look for the SP1 Service Status section and see if the status is Connected.  If it is not, the problem is you aren't successfully registering with Google Voice - check your account information and make sure you followed all the instructions (especially the part about making sure you have enabled Google Chat in your Google Voice setup).  If it is Connected, then it's some other issue - try dialing a call with the **1 prefix to force it to go via SP1 and see if it goes through.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Jeff205

It does show connected on the device's web page and the ObiTalkk portal.  I also tried to force it to SP1 by dialing **1, and it does not work.

What I mean by a transferred account is that I had a number assigned (a Google Voice number, not ported) to my non-gmail.com domain and had it transferred to a gmail.com account which the Obi supports.  I have another number with my "email" gmail.com account that I used to test (because I want a different account for voice as you advised) and it works.

MichiganTelephone

Well, I can offer a few suggestions:

Make sure you do not have any open web browser windows/tabs at all to the account that isn't working.  You may even want to reboot your system just to make sure there are no residual connections (particularly if you ever went into Gmail on that account since your last reboot).

If that's not the problem, then carefully compare settings on the Google Voice configuration pages between the account that does work and the account that doesn't.  You might have missed something, though I am not sure what it could be.

There's really not that much that can go wrong in the OBi device setup, assuming you didn't try any customizations to the configuration, and used either the wizard or the OBiTALK portal to initially configure the account.  If you entered correct account information, that should work, assuming the Google Voice account is correctly configured and is working.

If all else fails, make sure the Google Voice account isn't messed up.  Try changing the forwarding to another phone temporarily and make sure you can receive calls when you dial the GV number.  If you can, go into the Gmail account portal (something you normally should not do, but at this point you're at the "grasping at straws" stage) and see if you can place a call from within Gmail that will ring the other phone, then connect through. Once you know that works, change the forwarding back to Google Chat (and be sure to log out of that account!).

And always check for typos when entering account information, particularly passwords (which are usually blanked out so you can't readily see any mistakes).

That's about all I can think of.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Jeff205

I think I found the source of the issue, but don't know how to change it.  It is related to an account that has been transferred by Google.

The Google Chat email under Google Voice Settings/Phones is the old e-mail address (not the same as my account).  In an effort to change it, I deleted it and I can't find a way to add it back with the correct email address.

Urghhhh!!!!

MichiganTelephone

Jeff205

Finally!!!!

Okay, if you transfer your GV number from another account, the Google Chat email address under the Phone tab does not update.  You have to delete the incorrect Chat address (you can not edit it nor setup a new one).  Then select Gmail from the GV page and initiate a call from Chat/Call phone section on the left (I did this with the incorrect Chat email previously and it did not update it, so you have to delete it then do this step). Then go to your Gmail settings page, Chat tab, and make sure enable GV is selected (Save your changes).  Then go back to your GV settings page, select the Phone tab, and you should have a new Chat with the correct address.

I didn't have to make any changes on my Gmail settings page so you can probably skip this step, but I've heard some people have to select "enable".

Hope this helps others.

Jeff205

Thanks MichiganTelephone, that's exactly what I found too.

I appreciate your help!

MichiganTelephone

Glad to hear you got it working, Jeff.  This is the first time I've heard of this particular issue, but I'll bet it won't be the last.  :(