News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tone Settings and ring profiles, how they are used on an obi device?

Started by larrybob, April 05, 2012, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybob

For use in a country other than the US, I realize that I must change the tone settings to match the country that the box is in, so a user has an experience that matches what they normally hear from a land line  telephone in their country.

Can anyone explain how these settings are applied, they do not show up anywhere in the programing I could identify.
For example I discovered that the ringing sound and cadence heard when making a call is contained in TONE SETTINGS under "Ringback Tone".

There is a second set of parameters under RING PROFILE ring patterns ; ring pattern1, ring pattern2, .....ring pattern10. I first thought Ring pattern 1 was the cadence you heard when listing to a ring of a call that is being made, but as I mentioned above, this cadence comes from the tone section, not the ring profiles.

Where and when are the Parameters set under Ring Profile used.

Thanks

Larry

RevKev

Ring patterns are sent to the phone when a call comes in. Each trunk allows you to chose a ring pattern number.

larrybob

I looked at SP1, and line , and now I see where that parameter is selected.
(I had adjusted the RING PROFILE parameter thinking it was for the outgoing pattern, but as luck would have it, it should match the ring pattern of the host country which should be the same as what you hear when making a call. So I correctly modified both cadences. (Even though I had no idea what I was doing!)
Outgoing in the Tone Profile , and incoming in the ring profile.

It would be nice if you could select A "RingBackTone" parameter under TONE PROFILE  for each trunk, like you can for incoming calls. If this was possible, I would set the "RingBackTone" parameter for SP1(google voice) to mimic calls in the US, and set the "RingBackTone" parameter for sp2 to mimic calls in the host country.

This way when calling the US, the caller will hear a US ring, and when calling within their own country they will here the ring tone and cadence of that country.

Unfortunately , unless I am missing something, this is not possible. One outgoing cadence and ring tone must be used for all calls.

Larry

larrybob

Now I understand the use of the ring Profiles.
How are the different Tone parameters called into use. This must be hard coded somewhere, where there is no coding access? In my research, some countries have 24 different tones in use, while others only have 6... how does the tone parameters set in the obi box, interface with the incoming and out going calls that occur when an obi box is in use in different countries?

RevKev

Looks like your only choice for tones is profile A or B. Within a profile, you can change tones but you can't change how they are used.

To change the "RingBack" tone for each service, you could set SP1 to profile A and SP2 to profile B and change the tone(s) as needed. However, I think the Obi fakes only the first ring when calling out. Then the receiving provider provides the ringing.

larrybob

RevKev,

There is no setting for tone profile on Sp1, and sp2, only incoming ring profile.
There is a Tone Profile setting on phone and on line however. I guess you could set the line to Tone profile B, and the phone to Tone Profile A. I am not sure what happens when a call from the phone is routed through the line connection.  If both have different Tone profiles I am guessing the line profile takes president? If this is the case the ringing heard when routing through the line would be Tone B in this case, and calls routed through Sp1, and SP2 would have the ringing parameter heard from Tone Profile A.

I do not have a line connection to test this... so let me know if my guess is correct.

Larry

RevKev

QuoteThere is no setting for tone profile on Sp1, and sp2, only incoming ring profile.
My bad. Of course, you're right.

In the admin docs, it says this for ToneProfile on the phone port:
QuoteSelect a Tone Profile for call progress tone generation. Choices are A, or B

For the line port:
QuoteSelect a tone profile for tone detection to support the detection of outbound call connected state

I think it means that a subset of the tones are used for either call progress or call detection (i.e. phone and line would not conflict) and neither would effect what the caller hears (both are outbound only).