News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simple, Non Technical, VoIP Adaptor

Started by bsdaiwa, April 07, 2012, 06:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

I have been using SIP based calling for the last 14 years. I discovered it when I was exploring VOIP for my business. I wanted my wife to be able to communicate with her family in Argentina and SIP offered me the ideal way to achieve that.
I started and stayed with SipPhone because they provided a device that was easy to setup and could be combined with the local PSTN line so we only needed to install one phone system in each location. They used a device made by Leadtek they named the Call-In-One but was labeled by the manufacture as a 8051S. The specification sheet said:
"IP/PSTN Dual Access:
Incoming and outgoing calls from both
IP and PSTN networks using one POTS
phone"
Since Google took over SipPhone, the devices are no longer available, so I have turned to the OBi110 but it is very technical and requires many settings. Is there anyway that you can produce a simple device similar to the Leadtek BVA8051S so that those of us that are not technically oriented can use it? In other words, can you dumb down the OBi110? The key for me is the ability to use only one phone for but SIP and PSTN.
I would be more than happy to send you PDF's of all of the setup pages so you could see how simple it was.

pc44

Hi bsdaiwa,

I'm curious to see the setup PDF.  Can you post it on here?

Also, have you tried using the Obitalk Portal?  Several people find it much easier and simpler to use when installing their Obi product.

Happy Easter all,
pc44

bsdaiwa

Quote from: pc44 on April 07, 2012, 11:06:53 AM
Hi bsdaiwa,

I'm curious to see the setup PDF.  Can you post it on here?

Also, have you tried using the Obitalk Portal?  Several people find it much easier and simpler to use when installing their Obi product.

Happy Easter all,
pc44
I tried to post them but do to size limit was not able to. If you PM me I with your email address I will send them to you.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: QBZappy on April 07, 2012, 02:34:18 PM
I think it might be this Quick guide setup:
ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/voip/8051_quick_install_guide.pdf

Homepage:
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/voip_ta/overview.asp?lineid=19&pronameid=138

That is the manufacture and device, the guides describe the setup process but do not show the actual pages.

MichiganTelephone

Leadtek adapters were used by Packet8 here in the USA for many years.  They may have worked with that service but I can tell you from my experience that they were horrible to connect to an Asterisk server.  Not only would they simply refuse to connect at various times, but they kept generating an invalid SIP packet containing the message "Content To Short" (with "too" misspelled) that would appear repeatedly on the CLI and in Asterisk's log file.  Every single user I knew of that had them gave up and bought something else (most bought OBi110's or OBi100's, and in all cases the OBi's worked beautifully) because the Leadtek's were so unreliable when connected to Asterisk.  Of course all this is just my opinion, but there is no way I'd ever willingly let another Leadtek device onto our server.  Someone else's experience might be different, but that's my opinion.

Sometimes VoIP adapters have many settings for a reason... such as by tweaking the right setting, you might actually be able to get the thing to work the way you want it to!
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

bsdaiwa

The Leadteks worked fine for me and they were simple to setup and send to relatives in different countries. I wasn't setting up Asterisk servers I was just trying to communicate with friends and relatives.
I admire all of you who have the talent and perseverance to work out all the settings to accomplish all the wonderful things that an OBi can do but for some of us its too much. I much prefer the KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid) and that was all I was asking for.

Ostracus

Ah, if Apple came up with a VoIP adapter with one button, "connect".

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Ostracus on April 10, 2012, 06:48:50 AM

But it would cost $249 and would contain a non-replaceable battery that would stop working a month after the warranty expires!  :D
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

pc44

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on April 10, 2012, 09:03:41 AM
Quote from: Ostracus on April 10, 2012, 06:48:50 AM

But it would cost $249 and would contain a non-replaceable battery that would stop working a month after the warranty expires!  :D

Good point ;D