News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SOLVED: Tearing my hair out with newbie install

Started by heavyharmonies, March 10, 2011, 05:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyharmonies

I spent 4+ hours last night doing and redoing things in an attempt to get the OBi110 working with Google Voice, but could not.

Yes, I've viewed the setup video and followed all the steps.

My network config is the following:

Comcast cable modem -> DI-Link DI655 wifi router -> DI-Link non-wifi router (forget the model number) -> OBi110

I initially got everything configured (via obitalk.com, not the web interface) and was able to call the **9-333-333-333 **9-222-222-222 numbers. However, any time I would try to make an actual call, I got the dreaded "There is no service available..." message.

Then I noticed that in the SP configuration it said that authentication to Google Voice had failed. So I carefully re-entered the gmail address and password of the gmail account I'm using. No luck. I must have tried 8 times, just to make sure that case sensitivity was correct and I wasn't fumble-fingering it. No luck.

So I reset the OBi110 and started from scratch again. This time I was able to get the SP status to "Connected" (Is it possible that if you mistype the login or password even once that you are completely hosed until you do a factory reset of the OBi110?)

So I was able to get back to being able to call out via the numbers above, but still no direct calls.

Furthermore, after about 5 minutes of hookup and configuration, the OBi110 would lose its IP (power LED flashing green, which according to the Quick-Start guide means it's looking for DHCP).

I checked my main router (DI-655) and unchecked the SIP option and rebooted everything. No luck.

I put the OBi110 in the router DMZ. No luck.

I reset the OBi110 and redid all steps, no luck.

Then I figured I'd try simplifying the network and removed the second router. i.e., connecting the OBi110 directly to my DI-655. Same behavior.

Ok... let's try and eliminate DHCP from the equation. I go into the web interface of the OBi110 and change it from DHCP to static IP, entering all of the subnet mask and gateway information from my DI-655.

That gets me to the point of the power LED remaining on solid, BUT:

1. In the obitalk.com dashboard the status icon is orange/brown, not green.

2. If I examine the SP1 and SP2 information in the OBi110 web interface, they are both blank. I understand that I should not be attempting to configure via both obitalk.com and the web interface, but correct me if I'm wrong: the only way to set up a static IP address on the OBi110 is through the web interface, right?

3. I still cannot make or receive any calls. Still the "There is no service available..." message.

I'm at my wits end with this thing. For the life of me I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

It shouldn't be this hard.

Jeff205

Make sure your GV chat email address is the same as the email address you use on the Obi.  I had an issue with this due to a GV number transferred to a different email address.

Go to GV settings/phone tab/chat email should be the same as displayed at the top of the screen.  If not, there are steps to correct it here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=288.0

RonR

Quote from: heavyharmonies on March 10, 2011, 05:26:19 AM1. In the obitalk.com dashboard the status icon is orange/brown, not green.

2. If I examine the SP1 and SP2 information in the OBi110 web interface, they are both blank. I understand that I should not be attempting to configure via both obitalk.com and the web interface, but correct me if I'm wrong: the only way to set up a static IP address on the OBi110 is through the web interface, right?
1. For a number of users, myself included, there is a known problem with the OBiTALK dashboard that is preventing their OBi110 from asccessing it (it shows offline).

2. Consider configuring the OBi110 manually:

System Management -> Device Update -> Reset Configuration

System Management -> Network Settings -> LocalTimeZone : [your local time zone]

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : [your Google Voice username]

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : [your Google Voice password]

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> Primary Line -> SP1 Service

Then reboot the OBi110.

ShermanObi

Have you made a call from your browser via the Gmail "Call Phone" feature yet?

To use the Google Voice communications service on your OBi, you must have made at least one call from your Gmail account's "Call Phone" feature. To do this, sign-in to Gmail and place a call from your computer's browser with the Gmail "Call Phone" function located on the lower left side of the Gmail window.

Since you did observe the "connected" status, it appears the Gmail UN/PW credential you used is working. Assuming you have the "Make this the Primary Line to call out" box checked in the GV configuration settings on the OBiTALK device configuration page, you should be able to make a call by dialing 1+ any ten digit USA/CAN number.  

Sorry you have spent so much time trying to get the OBi to make a call using GV.  You are right, it shouldn't be that hard.  And it isn't.  We can help you get it sorted today.  Please contact support@obihai.com and we will help you.

Entering the UN or PW wrong will not mess things up if at a later time they are re-entered with the correct information.

Also, using the web page integral to the OBi device is OK for network and management based settings.  All other service related settings can continue to be managed by OBiTALK.

Your home network situation with two routers and

From your message, it looks like you are close to having things working.  

** Important **
If you follow RonR's advice above, that is fine but, please remember that anytime you use the integral web page on the OBi device to make configuration changes to service settings, your changes will be overwritten by the OBiTALK profile the minute you  reboot the device.  We recommend that users go to their OBiTALK portal account to configure services and functionality on their OBi.  

Otherwise, as you already know, and as RonR did point out in the 3rd step, you will need to disconnect Auto-Provisioning in order to keep service settings intact.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109

jimates

You didn't say whether you had used your google voice number from within gmail successfully before.

Make sure calling is enabled in your gmail and you have successfully complete one phone call from within gmail
Gmail should not be open in a web browser while receiving calls to the Obi.
Google Chat is set as a forwarding phone in your Google Voice.

Put the Obi directly on the modem, set it up and verify proper operation. Set the sp with google voice as your primary line for outgoing calls.

I had router problems (d-link dir615) causing dropped calls. I eliminated the router and went straight to the modem. I set the Obi up and verified it was working as it should, then I put the router back in the system and started from there.

I had a new Cisco gigabit router that I was going to use anyways so I just changed out my router and everything is now great.

RonR

Quote from: ShermanObi on March 10, 2011, 09:01:13 AM** Important **
If you follow RonR's advice above, that is fine but, please remember that anytime you use the integral web page on the OBi device to make configuration changes to service settings, your changes will be overwritten by the OBiTALK profile the minute you  reboot the device.
Using the configuration steps I suggested, his changes won't be overwritten by the OBiTALK profile the minute he reboots the device:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: jimates on March 10, 2011, 09:12:13 AMI had router problems (d-link dir615) causing dropped calls. I eliminated the router and went straight to the modem. I set the Obi up and verified it was working as it should, then I put the router back in the system and started from there.

I had a new Cisco gigabit router that I was going to use anyways so I just changed out my router and everything is now great.
This doesn't surprise me.  I've heard other reports of people having issues with D-Link equipment and VoIP.  Sometimes the most inexpensive item on the shelf is not the one to buy.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 10, 2011, 09:27:22 AM
This doesn't surprise me.  I've heard other reports of people having issues with D-Link equipment and VoIP.  Sometimes the most inexpensive item on the shelf is not the one to buy.

I have had that router since I upgraded to N wireless, several years ago. It has served me well with no problems at all.
It was by far not the most inexpensive item on the shelf at that time and If I hadn't wanted to upgrade to gigabit I would have left it in place and found the problem.

heavyharmonies

Quote from: ShermanObi on March 10, 2011, 09:01:13 AM
Have you made a call from your browser via the Gmail "Call Phone" feature yet?

I had gone through #3 in this link:

http://voxilla.com/2011/01/24/how-to-use-google-voice-and-obi-for-all-your-calls-free-2512

I assume that is the same thing or no?

QuoteTo use the Google Voice communications service on your OBi, you must have made at least one call from your Gmail account's "Call Phone" feature. To do this, sign-in to Gmail and place a call from your computer's browser with the Gmail "Call Phone" function located on the lower left side of the Gmail window.

This I had not done.

QuoteSince you did observe the "connected" status, it appears the Gmail UN/PW credential you used is working. Assuming you have the "Make this the Primary Line to call out" box checked in the GV configuration settings on the OBiTALK device configuration page, you should be able to make a call by dialing 1+ any ten digit USA/CAN number.

Yes that option is checked.

ShermanObi

Great. After you have made a call with the Call Phones feature from within Gmail (using the same Gmail UN/PW you used for the OBi110 SP1 service), please try to make a call to a regular number from the OBi, e.g. 1-719-567-6742

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: jimates on March 10, 2011, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 10, 2011, 09:27:22 AM

I have had that router since I upgraded to N wireless, several years ago. It has served me well with no problems at all.
It was by far not the most inexpensive item on the shelf at that time and If I hadn't wanted to upgrade to gigabit I would have left it in place and found the problem.

Sorry, jimates, I didn't mean to imply that your particular D-Link was an inexpensive model.  It's just that in a couple cases I have heard where people bought an inexpensive D-Link and found that they started having problems with VoIP.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

heavyharmonies

Well crap!

I just got home from work, only to find the OBi110 with its power LED flashing, meaning it lost its IP address between 6:30am and now. Web interface is not reachable from my computer's browser.

Why the [CENSORED] does it keep losing its identity on my network when nothing has happened and it was set to a static IP address?

I have a workstation, a home media server, a laser printer, a PS3 and a DirecTV DVR on this same network and NONE of those devices have any issues.

I hope I didn't just waste money on this box and the DECT phone system I bought to use with it. :(

heavyharmonies

I have rebooted my router as well as reset the Obi110, both multiple times, but to no avail. I now cannot access the Obi110 in any way shape or form.

I've replied to a support ticket, but since there's no phone support to be able to walk through any router- or network-specific issues, I'm not optimistic about a resolution. I hate email support just because of the hours between responses going back and forth. It turns resolution time into days.

/RANT

Very frustrated.

RonR

If you're convinced the OBi110 is inaccessible, you might try hardware resetting it through the access hole in the bottom.  Depress the switch and hold it until the power light turns red.  That will return it to factory defaults.  At that point, I highly recommend trying the manual configuration I outlined in the third post to see if it works.

heavyharmonies

That's what I meant by "reset". The hard reset through the hole on the bottom. I've done that and powered off and back on, and it still just sits there flashing green.

How do I get to the Obi110 on the network once its reset in order to manually configure it? The static IP I assigned it doesn't work. It just times out trying to reach it.

Thanks.

MichiganTelephone

When you reset the device, it should go back to getting its IP address using DHCP.  So pick up the phone that you have plugged into the phone port, and dial * * * then 1 and listen for the current IP address.  Then you should be able to go to that address in your browser and have the page come up.

But actually, once you have done a factory reset, if I were you I would stay out of the device's web portal, at least to start with.  So ignore what I said above, and go to the OBiTALK portal and add your device there.  It will give you a code to dial from the phone and then it will find your device, and then you can do all your configuration right from the OBiTALK portal and you don't even need to know how to access the device's portal.  I think that would be a lot easier for you, if you'll try it.  As long as you can dial the **9-222-222-222 number and it works, then you should be able to let the OBiTALK portal do all your configuration for you — plus, I suspect it would make it a lot easier for Obihai support to troubleshoot your issue, should that become necessary.

heavyharmonies

Does the OBi support team do things to the box remotely? This is bizarre.

The support team sent me a ticket asking me about the indicator lights on my router. The indicator lights showed that the OBi was NOT connected. I powered the Obi off, changed router ports, powered on... still no indicator. Swapped out to an ethernet cable of mine in case it was the cable... still no indicator.

As I was sitting here replying to the support ticket, the OBi110 rebooted... and then about a minute later rebooted again (I hadn't done anything)... and the power LED stayed on solid.

I quickly jumped onto Obitalk, re-added the device, and reconfigured Google Voice.

Success!

I was just able to call out and complete a call...

BUT! (1) it's on IP 193, one of the DHCP IPs, (2) it's hooked up to the wrong router and in the wrong place in the room. I'm now deathly afraid of moving or reconfiguring anything. Although without assigning it a static IP, for all I know it might fall off my network again.

MichiganTelephone

You should have no problems just disconnecting it from one router and moving it to another — UNLESS there's an issue with that other router.

Unless you have some compelling reason, I wouldn't switch to a static IP again quite yet (or ever, if you don't really need it).  Granted that you should be able to (and I have with mine) but right now you don't know what caused the issue you had so I'd take it slow so that if something does break, you know exactly what you did before it broke (and aren't trying to guess which of the last ten things you did might have caused the problem).

heavyharmonies

AUGH!

Son of a...

So I called dear old Mum as a test for call quality, latency, etc. and 10 minutes into the call the call died. The OBi110 started flashing the power LED again.  About two minutes later, the OBi110 rebooted on its own. The power and Line LEDs are now both lit solid, but I cannot make any calls and the status indicator at obitalk.com is showing brown instead of green.

I can get to the OBi110 config page from my browser and it has held the DHCP-assigned IP address, but under SP1 status it says "Resolving DNS".

This thing is possessed...

RonR

Why don't you connect the OBi110 directly to your Comcast cable modem and eliminate your router and anything else on your local network (you'll probably need to reboot your cable modem after making the change).  [I would also configure the OBi110 manually for this test, but that's just me.]

If the OBi110 works reliably connected directly to your cable modem, the problems you're having are most likely due to your router not being up to the task.