[S] Obi 110 / Anveo / Fax question...

Started by Robert.Thompson, April 10, 2012, 09:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

I have my Obi 110 set up and working fine with Anveo - I do not have my land line connected to the Obi.

My problem is when I use Anveo to send myself a fax. I frequently get a 'FAILED - HANGUP'. My phone rings quite a few times as the fax tries to come in. The first time it usually fails and then it (Anveo) tries again. Sometimes it fails on the second attempt as well - I need to re-send it over again. Eventually, I do receive the fax.

The question is: Do I need to do some sort of special set up on my Obi device to help it receive faxes?

Edit: I am not using a fax machine - I am using Anveo's fax service on my Anveo voip line.

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Everton

You could try to reduce the baud rate of your Fax Machine and/or disable/enable ECM.

However, why don't you have Anveo accept the fax and email it to you as a PDF or TIFF?  That way, you can print only the faxes that you need.  Also, I think incoming faxes are free with Anveo.  You will have to setup the call flow (FAX DETECT and RECEIVE FAX) to do that.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: Everton on April 10, 2012, 10:27:55 AM
You could try to reduce the baud rate of your Fax Machine and/or disable/enable ECM.

However, why don't you have Anveo accept the fax and email it to you as a PDF or TIFF?  That way, you can print only the faxes that you need.  Also, I think incoming faxes are free with Anveo.  You will have to setup the call flow (FAX DETECT and RECEIVE FAX) to do that.

I really like the idea of Anveo accepting my faxes and then just emailing me a copy! :)

I will try to set this up.

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Robert.Thompson

#3
Quote from: Everton on April 10, 2012, 10:27:55 AM
You could try to reduce the baud rate of your Fax Machine and/or disable/enable ECM.

However, why don't you have Anveo accept the fax and email it to you as a PDF or TIFF?  That way, you can print only the faxes that you need.  Also, I think incoming faxes are free with Anveo.  You will have to setup the call flow (FAX DETECT and RECEIVE FAX) to do that.

I 'chatted' with Anveo on this and was advised that an Anveo phone number can be either a dedicated fax line or a fax/voice line. If it is the latter, FAX DETECT is only 90% effective, ie, it may not detect an incoming fax.

The recommendation, for 100% incoming fax reliability, is to buy another Anveo phone number and set it up as a dedicated fax line and to leave the original line as a dedicated voice line.

This is what I have done, I think. (read: Anveo newbie)

Edit: So I set it all up and it works perfectly - costs about $3.00 more per month.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Everton

Why $3.00 per month instead of $0.99 for the second fax line?  My guess is that the fax line is not connected (setup) to your OBi or any other ATA, and all incoming fax calls simply get answered (fax received) and emailed to you.  For outgoing, are you scanning, upload to Anveo and then sent through your fax line?

I rearly receive fax on my Anveo account, so I can't justify buying a DID for dedicated fax.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: Everton on April 11, 2012, 06:47:00 AM
Why $3.00 per month instead of $0.99 for the second fax line?  My guess is that the fax line is not connected (setup) to your OBi or any other ATA, and all incoming fax calls simply get answered (fax received) and emailed to you.  For outgoing, are you scanning, upload to Anveo and then sent through your fax line?

I rearly receive fax on my Anveo account, so I can't justify buying a DID for dedicated fax.

I don't really know. ???

I'll get back to you after I discuss this with Anveo...
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Robert.Thompson

So, I checked with Anveo and here is what I pay:

For the 'Starter Plan' which includes 'email to fax':  $7.85 per month
For my 2 'Unlimited incoming' DID ($2.45 each)    :   4.90 per month
Total                                                           :$12.75 per month

Plus I pay $0.005 per minute for outgoing voice or fax.

All the above in USD.

Still much cheaper than the $81.00 CAD that I was paying Bell Canada.

I know that I could do VOIP for less but I am happy with this, at least for now.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

ArneBolen

If you only receive few faxes you don't need an unlimited Rate Plan for your fax number. Just use the Value Rate plan instead, it costs only $1.45/month for Canadian numbers.

Please note you can mix Value and Unlimited Rate Plans as you wish.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: ArneBolen on April 15, 2012, 12:52:07 PM
If you only receive few faxes you don't need an unlimited Rate Plan for your fax number. Just use the Value Rate plan instead, it costs only $1.45/month for Canadian numbers.

Please note you can mix Value and Unlimited Rate Plans as you wish.

Thanks ArneBolen, I'll give that change a try! :)
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

PeterFales

Can anyone explain how Anveos "fax detection" works?    I couldn't find any information on the Anveo web site.   I tried to sending myself a fax and it worked (the phone never rang and the fax was delivered to my email).  But it seems like they would have to answer the phone and listen for the fax tones before deciding to ring the phone.   If that's the case, it seems like that would introduce several seconds of extra delay before the phone rings on a voice call?

Shale

Quote from: PeterFales on November 04, 2013, 09:13:21 AM
Can anyone explain how Anveos "fax detection" works?    I couldn't find any information on the Anveo web site.   I tried to sending myself a fax and it worked (the phone never rang and the fax was delivered to my email).  But it seems like they would have to answer the phone and listen for the fax tones before deciding to ring the phone.   If that's the case, it seems like that would introduce several seconds of extra delay before the phone rings on a voice call?


I looked at the Anveo fax-related Flow Control items.

There is a RECEIVE FAX, a DETECT FAX, and a GOODIES control. The description for the DETECT FAX says "Listens for 2.5 seconds to detect incoming FAX tones. Because of the short detection interval the success rate of detecting FAX tones is 75%. You can use RECEIVE FAX without detecting tones and get near 100% success rate."

1. With a dedicated incoming fax number, you could route right to RECEIVE FAX.
2. Where you have had the user go thru a path where he entered a digit to identify a fax, you could have that path lead to RECEIVE FAX.
3. Where you detected a caller ID  match from a list of known fax machine phone numbers, you could go right to the RECEIVE FAX.
4. You could use the DETECT FAX control, and put up with both a 2.5 second delay for voice calls, and a ~25% chance the call would not be detected as a fax.

I am presuming the GOODIES acts as a DETECT FAX but with additional things happening. This would be used for special situations.