News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

iPhone app improvements

Started by keith.h.morris@gmail.com, March 08, 2011, 09:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith.h.morris@gmail.com

It would be great if the app could pull contacts from the contacts on the phone. An ideal situation for me would be to use the Obi app when I want to call a landline because this would save my mobile minutes. You could then make it easier to have a favorites list instead of adding each of your contacts manually.

QBZappy

Hi,

If you have unlimited incoming you can have the Obi callback your cell offering you dial tone to make a bridged outgoing call. You can dial out full numbers or you can setup a few speed dials for the more frequently called numbers. This might work if you have this type of cell plan. There are details on the forum on how to set this up.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

keith.h.morris@gmail.com

My phone plan allows free mobile-to-mobile incoming and outgoing. Minutes are used from my plan when I make or receive a call from a landline. If I could use the ObiOn app on my phone when calling a landline this would allow me to save some mobile minutes. Adding all the landlines in my iPhones contact list would be a pain. I know there is a way for apps to access your contact list on your phone because I've seen it done with other apps. Ideally you could pull up contacts from your phone within the app and then call them or have an option to add the number to the speed dial list.

With that said I just received my Obi a few days ago and it's a great product. It seems Obihai listens to it's users and provides great customer service.

QBZappy

keith.h.morris@gmai,

Hi,

Call strategies are sometimes dynamic. If you invested in an Obi unit, it might be time to reevaluate the call plan you use for your cell. I changed mine recently to unlimited incoming $20/mo. I don't have the same free  outgoing minutes as my more expensive previous plan. I don't care because my Obi unit calls me back and bridges my my outgoing call. I reduced my monthly cell bill by more than half. This alone paid for the cost of my Obi. You gotta love that.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

keith.h.morris@gmail.com

QBZappy,

Thanks for the reply. I mainly got the Obi to use as a home phone. I got rid of our home phone service a few weeks ago when I first heard about the Obi. My wife really missed having a home phone during that time.

I currently have ATT Family Plan for my cell phone with two iPhones. So I'm paying quite a bit monthly already. I really don't ever go over on our minutes but I thought using the ObiOn app could definitely save some minutes if needed.

My wife is stuck in her ways so I think I would have a hard time convincing her to start using the ObiOn app to make calls. Therefore, I can't see myself adjusting my current cell plan. I've not yet tried the ObiOn app while on a 3G network so I'm not really sure how well it works. I see it is recommended you be on wi-fi or 4g for best results.

I hope to play around with the device some more and get the best use out of it. It pretty much pays for itself in two months since I ditched the home phone.

QBZappy

keith.h.morris@gmai,

Hi just to clarify, I was not suggesting to use the Obiapp (PC) to make calls. The Obi unit can be configured to call your cell phone by looking at the CID number of your cell phone.

ex: you are shopping and want to make a call to someone using your cell. Call the number your Obi is connected to, hang up after one ring before the Auto Attendant picks up. Obi can call your cell based on the CID it just received giving you the abilty to make an outgoing call by dialing a number or dialing a preassigned speed dial number. This method makes use of your phone lines connected to the Obi and your celluar service.

There is no use of the software app you may have installed on your Iphone. That app is useful to bypass the cell service completely by usung a connection to your home network or wireless service.

May work for some under the right circomstances.

It's not clear to me from your post, I'll just mention that the following is possible. In your case since the Obi unit is at home your wife can make calls using a phone connected to the Obi. Get a Google Voice account setup your Obi unit with this account and get outgoing/incoming calls using the phone.

To save your cell minutes while away from the house you need to do the math and figure out if it is cheaper to get an unlimited incoming calling plan if you are not locked into a contract.

keith.h.morris@gmail.com

I currently have the Obi setup with GV. I guess we kind of got off topic. I guess the way each person uses the device is different. I still think my suggestion to improve the ObiOn app is a good idea.