News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New user questions

Started by farens, April 14, 2012, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farens

Hello,

I am a getting ready to start using Obitalk.  I have the following ready:

OBI100 adapter
T-Mobile Sim card & phone to port cable company landline number.
Google Voice account with number.

My issue is with setting up a 2nd account so we can use 911 & caller ID for incoming calls.  Researching the matter it seems the best way would to use a service such as Callcentric for incoming calls & Google Voice for free outgoing calls.

Should I port our landline number via T-Mobile to Google Voice or Callcentric?

If anyone is using this setup & comment on the setup & cost it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: farens on April 14, 2012, 11:32:50 AMShould I port our landline number via T-Mobile to Google Voice or Callcentric?

I have never used Callcentric (and BTW, I've read that Anveo is cheaper for 911, but have no experience with them either), however the real question would be whether you are charged a per-minute rate to receive incoming calls via that service.  A cursory glance at the web sites of both companies indicates they have "Personal Unlimited" plans that appear to allow unlimited incoming calls (Anveo for $1.99 per month and Callcentric for $5.95 per month - note I am not digging into the web sites to see if there are extra fees or surcharges, just noting the "bold print" prices).  In any case, if you do have such a plan, then I'd consider porting your number to that provider because chances are you'll get real Caller ID name service on incoming calls, which Google Voice does not provide.  However, if you are charged by the minute for incoming calls, and you don't want to pay that per minute charge, then porting your number to Google Voice might be your preferred option.

Another thing to take into consideration is that a few users (a small but not entirely insignificant percentage) have been having issues receiving calls from Google Voice recently.  I haven't personally experienced that, except for one weekend when they screwed something up recently, but Google Voice will probably never have the commitment to providing service that a commercial provider would have.  So those are just some things you may want to weigh in the balance as you make your decision.

But unfortunately I have no actual experience with either of the providers mentioned above.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

MichiganTelephone

After writing the previous message, I found this thread on BroadbandReports.com that may be of interest to you:

"Personal Unlimited" plans - Anveo vs CallCentric
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

farens

Thanks from one Michigander to another.