News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice outgoing call time limit (2 hours per my testing)?

Started by hydrostarr, October 27, 2011, 09:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrostarr

Am experiencing Google Voice outgoing call time limit (2-hours limit, per testing done by me and a friend with both Obitalk and Google Talk).  GV simply drops the call (if on Obitalk) or in GoogleTalk will say "goodbye" or some such before dropping the call.

• Anybody else experiencing this? 
  • Any way to change this behavior, say to remove the limit or at least make a longer limit?  Possibly by an Obitalk config setting...?

fwiw, similar discussion (there's others like them) in GV support forums... but doesn't seem to present any answers to above:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=04ccfd86368fc0f1&hl=en

QBZappy

hydrostarr,

Is this 2 continuous hours on the same call or 2 hours of accumulated use?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

hydrostarr,

I've been reading the link in your post. It seems back in 2009 the time limit was 3 hours. What I could not find was if the limit was per call or daily. I'm assuming it's per call because no one has ever mentioned the limitation on this board before. If the limit is now 2 hours of continuous calling, it is still pretty generous if you ask me for a free service.

I don't think there is a setting to bypass that limit since it is imposed by GV.

Anyone else ever use GV and reached the time limit?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Everton

Yes, there is a strict 2-hour limit per call and once a call reaches that limit, the call is dropped.  There is no way around this limit!  This has happen to me a few times.

hydrostarr

Quote from: QBZappy on October 27, 2011, 10:40:52 AM
Is this 2 continuous hours on the same call or 2 hours of accumulated use?

Thx much for quick followup.  It's 2 hours on one call.  Redialing from the same line to the same number (that was called originally) starts another call.  Yep, this is fantastic from a free service, for sure.  fwiw, I'd -gladly- pay (to GV or Obitalk or whomever) some nominal amount to get around it.  But not as much as the $43/mo I'm saving by dumping vonage.  :)

Hope my persistence isn't causing problems when asking:  why specifically do we think we can't "work around" this?  Are we certain it's GV only... and/or that Obitalk can't at least detect in advance that GV is about to hangup and warn the caller, or something similar?  Or maybe auto-redial the number after hangup?  Or maybe even offer a paid service that negotiates something with GV so that certain Obitalk subscribers get a "premium" GV-Obi package (that might address other technical/support/etc shortcomings)?  In the latter case, Obi and GV could maybe make more $$, money I'd certainly happily pay.  (Alas... setting up all the pay/pricing/service structure is of course very non-trivial... but just thinkin'... out of the box here for solutions both technical- and "business"-oriented.)

In any case, love the support feedback here (at obitalk.com/forum).  And thoroughly enjoying the Obitalk product.  :)

giqcass

Found this thread today.  I had a Google Voice call end abruptly right at one hour.  Maybe it was a coincidence.  I noticed this was an older thread so perhaps something has changed in the Google TOS.  It would be nice if Obi added a simple call timer to the device.  Let the user set the time before they get a warning on each account.  It could also be useful for those watching what they spend.  I'm really loving my 202 right now.  I'm thinking I might add the BT adapter since it's working out so well.
Long live our new ObiLords!

pc44

It might vary based on some sort of Google determination of how much weekly or monthly call volume you have used.  The reason I say that is because I have experienced the 2 hour cut-off at times.  When it does occur, they are very punctual ;D with the call terminating precisely at 120 minutes.  However, other times, I have definitely gone past 2 hours on a single call without any issues or problems.

So, it seems as though it is enforced on occasion and not consistently, at least for me.