News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Whistlephone on OBi110

Started by mykmayk, March 10, 2011, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykmayk

has anyone able to successfully add as a service provider and use whistlephone on obi110?

the proxy server i used is proxy.whistlephone.com.  i left the default 5060 ports as is.  the username i used is my whistlephone number. these are also the settings i used successfully on pap2.  btw, i left the URI field blank.

but i can't get these settings to work on obi110.  it registers on obi110.  but when i make a call, i get this automated voice error message:
"The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider."
əʞɪɯ mɪke

RonR

There's a good chance this is due to Whistlephone returning a non-standard SIP result code.  If the OBi110 receives a non-standard SIP result code, instead of simply treating it as an error, it reports that the service provider didn't respond even though it did.  I've been meaning to report this to support but haven't gotten around to it.

I have a Whistlephone account and will try it a little later to see what my OBi does with it.  It should work for outgoing calls, but will likely never work for incoming calls as Whistlephone appears to use 5 different servers and has to be registered to all them to have much of a chance of receiving a call (this is according to Asterisk folks).

mykmayk

Quote from: RonR on March 10, 2011, 06:22:07 PM
I have a Whistlephone account and will try it a little later to see what my OBi does with it.

thanks RonR.

yep, even on linksys pap2, whistlephone has that known problem with incoming calls because they have 4 proxies.  so the incoming caller has a hit-or-miss with getting the default proxy that is registered on the pap2 device.

at least with obi, if in case google does end the free calls at the end of 2011, i'm thinking of using whistlephone for outgoing calls and sp2 from another sip provider (e.g. sipgate) for incoming calls.  since whistlephone has that "follow me" feature, if in case the incoming caller didn't get lucky with the default proxy, they can still get through to the sp2 if i forward whistlephone to sipgate.  so, obi110 will still ring -- on either sp1 (whistlephone) or sp2 (other sip forwarded from whistlephone) in any case.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

RonR

I seem to be getting the same results as you.

Outbound calls work fine on Sip Sorcery, whether registered or not.

Maybe one of the OBi support guys will sign up for a free account and determine why it's not working on the OBi.

jimates

I had problems with Whistlephone by itself when I had my old router. I contacted WP support. It worked fine after I replaced the router.
This is the last response from WP when I told them it worked after the router switch.
ATAs are known to interact poorly with Whistle's servers, so I definitely recommend sticking with the new router. I'm glad you found a solution. : )

See the conversation here
http://support.whistlephone.com/help/discussions/problems/2634-nothing-happens-when-i-dial

mykmayk

Quote from: jimates on March 10, 2011, 08:37:30 PM
I had problems with Whistlephone by itself when I had my old router. I contacted WP support. It worked fine after I replaced the router.
This is the last response from WP when I told them it worked after the router switch.
ATAs are known to interact poorly with Whistle's servers, so I definitely recommend sticking with the new router. I'm glad you found a solution. : )

jimates, are you able to get whistlephone to work on obi110?  i think i've read that whistlephone support response from the whistlephone website (so, that was you.  ;D) when i was researching this problem.

for pap2, my whistlephone account is working (except for that incoming proxy intermittent problem).  but with obi110, i can't even get it to work with 1 outgoing call.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

jimates

I tried briefly to get it to work but gave up right away.