News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Google Voice for Long Distance and Local Carrier for Local Calls

Started by ssturner66, April 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia

Ok............. blush.................. :-[

We're so happy with our OBi device, that we actually decided to drop our landline. We're going to port that to a prepaid phone line so we can take our time informing everybody to dial our VOIP number.

So now I have to figure out how to make all calls via Google Voice and FreePhoneLine  ;D Let's say all domestic calls over FreePhoneLine (SP1), and all international calls over Google Voice (SP2), that can't be that hard to set up, can it?

Rick

Quote from: Sophia on November 26, 2012, 05:53:53 PM
Ok............. blush.................. :-[

We're so happy with our OBi device, that we actually decided to drop our landline. We're going to port that to a prepaid phone line so we can take our time informing everybody to dial our VOIP number.

So now I have to figure out how to make all calls via Google Voice and FreePhoneLine  ;D Let's say all domestic calls over FreePhoneLine (SP1), and all international calls over Google Voice (SP2), that can't be that hard to set up, can it?

Simply port your landline to prepaid, then GV to keep the number...

ianobi

Sophia,

With FPL on sp1 and GV on sp2. Set:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11S4|<250>[2-9]xxxxxxS4|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|<**2>011xx.)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Calls will route as follows:

[2-9]11  ->  three digit numbers starting with 2 to 9 > sp1
 7 digits  ->  Obi adds 250 > sp1
10 digits  ->  that start with 2-9 > sp1
11 digits  -> that start with 1 > sp1
   011+  ->  sp2

With regard to 911 calls, I would take a "belt and braces" approach. Although the above DigitMaps should route it correctly to FPL, I would makes changes in your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:

Delete {(<#:>|911):li}

Insert {911:sp1},{(<#:>):li}

This will send 911 direct to sp1 with no delay.

I have guessed a little with Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap, as I'm not fully aware of what number formats FPL accept or need. You may need to get back to me about that.

Sophia

I wish!!! But we are out in Canada, no way we can port our number to GV at the moment. In fact I don't think we can do it ever, because right now there is no VOIP provider who will accept numbers from our small town...  :(

Oh I see you posted while I was typing this, thanks for the information, ianobi!!

Glandoux

Hi everyone!
Sorry to hijack this thread but i actually have the same problem/setup as Sophie here.

I don't have a landline
My sp1 is google voice
My sp2 is Freephoneline.

I want the long distance calls to go out through GV and all the local calls to go use FPL.
I tried what was suggested in this post but so fare no luck..
Now when i try to do a call, it says there is no route for the call.

Any help with ITSPA, ITSPB and Physical phone digimaps would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Glandoux

Ok now i can make local phone calls, but not long distance call.

Here's my setup

SP1: GV
SP2: FPL

ITSP A (Googlevoice) digimap : (<1819>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)
ITSP B (FPL) digimap : ([2-9]11S4|<819>[2-9]xxxxxxS4|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|<**2>011xx.)

Physical phone digimap : ([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

outboundCallRoute : {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Like i said, i want to use FPL for local calls and googlevoice for longdistance.
Right now i can make local calls but when i do a long distance, i hear the noise of a busy line.

thanks,

Glandoux

Ok, everything works now, i was able to fix mon long distance call by adding this to my ITSPB

(<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx)

Just one question though, what is 011xx. for?

Sophia

That one I can answer  ;D
011 is the code for international dialing from North America (in Europe, this is 00).

Busthead

Quote from: ianobi on November 03, 2012, 04:11:05 AM
Sophia,

I'm assuming that you have PSTN on your Line Port, Google Voice on sp1, something on sp2? Also, Phone Port Primary Line is set:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

Leave the ITSP A and B DigitMaps at default.

To route the calls to the correct trunks (line, sp1 etc), use the Mpli (Map Primary Line). In your case this is the Line Port DigitMap:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|180xxxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

If you do have a service provider on sp2 through which you wish to send international calls, then:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|180xxxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**2>011xx.)

Calls will route as follows:

[2-9]11  ->  three digit numbers starting with 2 to 9 > PSTN Line
  7 digits  ->  Obi adds 250 > PSTN Line
10 digits  ->  that start with 250 > PSTN Line
11 digits -> that start with 180 > PSTN Line
11 digits -> that start with 188 > PSTN Line
11 digits  -> that start with 1 but not 18 > SP1 Service
    011+  ->  SP1 Service or SP2 if you use the **2 version

911 calls are a special case due to this rule in your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:
{(<#:>|911):li}
This means that 911 calls will be sent direct to the Line Port regardless of anything in any DigitMap.

The above DigitMaps mean that you do not need to dial codes (**1 etc) to route the calls, the DigitMaps do it for you. However, if you wish to override the DigitMaps, then you can still dial **1 etc.

Feel free to ask questions – we are all learning here  :)
Sometimes my answers are a bit slow in coming as I am here when most of OBiLAND is asleep!

Edit: Refined 1xxxxxxxxxx to 1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I've replaced the default "Physical Interfaces->LINE Port->DigitMap" with:

([2-9]11S0|0|[2-9]xxxxxx|<530:>530xxxxxxx|18[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

The results are as follows:

Test1: 911 to reach emergency services: Have not tested
Test2: 0 to reach the PSTN operator: Call routed properly through PSTN
Test3: Seven digit 530 area code number: Call routed properly through PSTN
Test4: Ten digit 530 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, and then "Call did not go through. Please try your call again" error message
Test5: Ten digit 800,866,877, or 888 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, then busy signal
Test6: Eleven digit 530 area code number: Call routed properly through GV
Test7: Eleven digit 800,866,877, or 888 area code number: Call routed properly through PSTN
Test8: Eleven digit long distance number: Have not tested
Test9: **8 + seven digit local number: Call routed properly through PSTN
Test10: **8 + eleven digit long distance number: Does not funciton - "No call route available to complete call"

I don't understand why Test4, Test5, or Test10 are failing.

Looking at the "Status->Call History" after a Test4 call it appears that the last three characters are removed insteat of the first three: "5309021". Same on Test5: "8004444".

No clue why Test10 is failing - maybe I have to change the "PHONE->OutboundCallRoute"?

Any assitance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ianobi

Busthead,

Your original Line Port DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|0|[2-9]xxxxxx|<530:>530xxxxxxx|18[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

This should be no problem - 911 calls are a special case due to this rule in your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:
This means that 911 calls will be sent direct to the Line Port regardless of anything in any DigitMap.

Test4: Ten digit 530 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, and then "Call did not go through. Please try your call again" error message.
I suspect this rule [2-9]xxxxxx is matching the first seven of the ten digits dialled and sending out to line after the seventh digit. I will add a S4 delay in the proposed DigitMap.

Test5: Ten digit 800,866,877, or 888 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, then busy signal.
Same problem as Test4, plus there is no route for ten digit numbers starting with 8.

This should work fine through GV on sp1.

Test10: **8 + eleven digit long distance number: Does not funciton - "No call route available to complete call".
OBi is telling you the truth! Your digit map is designed to send long distance eleven digit numbers to GV. If you want the ability to use both, then you will need to change <**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx to 1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx then long distance will go through PSTN unless you manually dial **1 followed by eleven digits. Or you make GV on sp1 your PrimaryLine, then we redirect all the PSTN numbers from there. I'll assume leave PrimaryLine as PSTN for now. No need to change Phone Port OutboundCallRoute.

Proposed Line Port DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|0|[2-9]xxxxxxS4|<530:>530xxxxxxx|8[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|18[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Try this DigitMap and come back if needed for fine tuning or a complete rewrite  :)

Busthead

Quote from: ianobi on November 30, 2012, 01:43:36 AM
Busthead,

Your original Line Port DigitMap:

This should be no problem - 911 calls are a special case due to this rule in your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:

Test4: Ten digit 530 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, and then "Call did not go through. Please try your call again" error message.
I suspect this rule [2-9]xxxxxx is matching the first seven of the ten digits dialled and sending out to line after the seventh digit. I will add a S4 delay in the proposed DigitMap.

Test5: Ten digit 800,866,877, or 888 area code number: Does not funciton - Single ring, delay, then busy signal.
Same problem as Test4, plus there is no route for ten digit numbers starting with 8.

This should work fine through GV on sp1.

Test10: **8 + eleven digit long distance number: Does not funciton - "No call route available to complete call".
OBi is telling you the truth! Your digit map is designed to send long distance eleven digit numbers to GV. If you want the ability to use both, then you will need to change <**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx to 1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx then long distance will go through PSTN unless you manually dial **1 followed by eleven digits. Or you make GV on sp1 your PrimaryLine, then we redirect all the PSTN numbers from there. I'll assume leave PrimaryLine as PSTN for now. No need to change Phone Port OutboundCallRoute.

Proposed Line Port DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|0|[2-9]xxxxxxS4|<530:>530xxxxxxx|8[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|18[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Try this DigitMap and come back if needed for fine tuning or a complete rewrite  :)

Very much appreciate the prompt reply and assistance.

I'm satisfied with just removing the <530:>530xxxxxxx digit map for now and not supporting the ten digit dial functionality.

I would however like to know how I can maintain PSTN as the PrimaryLine and GV for long distance but occasionally route long distance calls over PSTN (for outbound faxing). I though prepending **8 to the dialed number would do the trick.

Thanks

ianobi

There are two answers. First, rewrite the DigitMaps to make sp1 the PrimaryLine, then you can redirect eleven digit numbers to PSTN using **8. All other numbers would route automatically. Second, if it is only very occassional use for faxes, then simply press # before dialling the number. This will connect you direct to the PSTN line with no OBi DigitMaps involved.

Let me know if you want to go with the first suggestion and I will suggest suitable DigitMaps.

Busthead

Quote from: ianobi on December 01, 2012, 04:38:06 AM
There are two answers. First, rewrite the DigitMaps to make sp1 the PrimaryLine, then you can redirect eleven digit numbers to PSTN using **8. All other numbers would route automatically. Second, if it is only very occassional use for faxes, then simply press # before dialling the number. This will connect you direct to the PSTN line with no OBi DigitMaps involved.

Let me know if you want to go with the first suggestion and I will suggest suitable DigitMaps.

Pressing # before faxing is an easy enough solution. Here is the digit map I ended up with:

([2-9]11S0|0|[2-9]xxxxxx|18[06-8][06-8]xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Much thanks.

dircom

1  Not sure if I can port my # to GV, Bandwith.com does is not listed in my Central office.  But it is in my local calling area.  
2  If the internet went down, my wife would not be happy if we relied on GV
3  My wife does not want the phone to function any differently than it does now

Currently I have a bundle with Cox. Thinking about ditching CATV for OTA TV, & ditching cox phone, and getting a "Baby Bell" phn, because I am a "Baby Bell" retiree and can get local service cheap (+ discounts on features, nothing on LD)

I see on this thread, you can set up LD calling to be done thru GV, and local calling thru your PSTN line.

One problem I see, is if my wife is on our PSTN line right now, I know I can always use a phn connected to my OBI and use GV to dial out.
If she was using our cordless system connected to the Obi 110, I would not know which line she is using.

When you add a PSTN line to your Obi, are you not giving up a way to have two concurrent phone calls?

and the other problem is outgoing caller id on LD, would be different

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: dircom on March 04, 2013, 06:51:28 PM
One problem I see, is if my wife is on our PSTN line right now, I know I can always use a phn connected to my OBI and use GV to dial out.
A) If she was using our cordless system connected to the Obi 110, I would not know which line she is using.

B) When you add a PSTN line to your Obi, are you not giving up a way to have two concurrent phone calls?

C) and the other problem is outgoing caller id on LD, would be different

A) No, not true. An Obi110 has only one phone line (one jack) for an analog phone handset. The second jack is for the PSTN line, therefore if wife is on phone she is using the one and only phone line for her analog phone handset.  Her call may be going out VoIP/GV or PSTN, that you do not know unless you look at lights on the device or call status in the device web page.

B) No. For an Obi110 there are two ports/jacks on an Obi110, one for an analog handset, and one for a PSTN line. These are not interchangeable. See this: http://www.obihai.com/matrix.html.

One possible solution for your case is to use an Obi110 and an Obi202, in which you would configure a means for a phone handset on the Obi202 to make a call terminating on the PSTN line on the Obi110. If the PSTN line is in use you'd get a fast busy ringback or whatever you configure.

C) True.

dircom

I meant to say, leaving my existing PSTN line alone (not connected thru the obi), hooking up a separate phn to the OBI 110, I now have two phone numbers, that can function separately from each other.

I know some people use a PSTN # hooked up to a 110 for 911 purposes, or for overseas calling schemes.
In my case I was thinking about hooking up the PSTN line to the 110 for free LD

While you can look at the lights as you mentioned or look at the call status, its not a practical way to know what line was being used

If I connected the PSTN line to the obi, (and programmed the obi to use GV for LD) and plugged my cordless system into the OBI  calls into either # (PSTN or GV) would ring on the cordless, which is convenient.

But would I not be giving up the ability to make and receive 2 calls at the same time?
I don't see a practical solution, other than keeping the two lines separate (not connected thru the obi), and using a two line cordless system which is expensive .

Rick

If you have a PSTN now, and you get an OBi, and you hookup the PSTN to the OBi, then YES, you've eliminated the ability to use both lines at the same time.  Pretty straightforward.

If you MUST use two lines at once, you can buy an OBi 202.  However, that doesn't let you use your PSTN, which is why it was suggested below to use both a 110 and a 202.

One issue you're going to have, based on your questions, is that this seems to be somewhat confusing for you.  You say you were thinking of hooking up the PST to the 110 for free LD, what you meant to say was that you were thinking of getting a 110 to hookup to your phones so that when you want to call LD you use GV instead of the PSTN line, i.e. you have that choice.

I'd suggest, based on your questions, that you consider another option.  Keep your PSTN line hooked up like it is.  Buy an OBi 100.  Hookup a new wireless phone to it.  That's your Long Distance phone system.  Use the existing PSTN line for 911 and to receive calls.  Then you have both your two line requirement met and the ability to receive calls and use 911.

Or, don't do anything.  Get a GV number, use Google Talk on the computer with a headset to make free outgoing calls.  Or, if the PSTN is not being used, simply have Google Talk ring the house phone when making the call.  Info on how to do all that is on the Google Voice forums.

dircom

Quote from: Rick on March 05, 2013, 05:12:18 AM
If you have a PSTN now, and you get an OBi, and you hookup the PSTN to the OBi, then YES, you've eliminated the ability to use both lines at the same time.  Pretty straightforward.

I installed a 110 - It is straightforward, especially since I installed phones for a living, and did tech support for FIOS.  Just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything :)

If you MUST use two lines at once, you can buy an OBi 202.  However, that doesn't let you use your PSTN, which is why it was suggested below to use both a 110 and a 202.

One issue you're going to have, based on your questions, is that this seems to be somewhat confusing for you.  You say you were thinking of hooking up the PST to the 110 for free LD, what you meant to say was that you were thinking of getting a 110 to hookup to your phones so that when you want to call LD you use GV instead of the PSTN line, i.e. you have that choice.

Of course, for free LD, using GV

I'd suggest, based on your questions, that you consider another option.  Keep your PSTN line hooked up like it is.  Buy an OBi 100.  Hookup a new wireless phone to it.  That's your Long Distance phone system.  Use the existing PSTN line for 911 and to receive calls.  Then you have both your two line requirement met and the ability to receive calls and use 911.

Using my 110 in that manner as we speak

Or, don't do anything.  Get a GV number, use Google Talk on the computer with a headset to make free outgoing calls.  Or, if the PSTN is not being used, simply have Google Talk ring the house phone when making the call.  Info on how to do all that is on the Google Voice forums.

GV, OBI etc works great, I have no problem installing or using so far.
My only problem is to make the system transparent to my wife.
No way to do that as GV doesn't support name caller iD

and she doesn't want to use one phone to receive calls, and another to make calls,
and I don't want to tie them both together because I lose concurrent calling/receiving

Again, just checking to see if I missed anything, thanks for all the responses (and sorry for going off topic on this thread)

dircom

It appears I could port my phone# to a voip provider that has caller id with name
& then set up my obi to use GV for outbound

That way it would be transparent to my wife, it the phone would operate pretty much the same as our PSTN line
except that the outbound caller id would be different

Is that correct?   
If so any recommendations for free or inexpensive (but high quality) voip service for incoming calls with Caller id w/name?

Sophia

Sorry to revive this super old topic, but I too am running into a problem now. We have a friend in Florida whose number starts with 863, but we can't get through to him.

Our current LINE DigitMap says:

([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|<1:>250xxxxxxx|1800xxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|1877xxxxxxx|1866xxxxxxx|1855xxxxxxx|
1844xxxxxxx|1833xxxxxxx|1822xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

I'm thinking the error is in the <**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx bit, but unclear how to change it.

What we're after is that all numbers starting with 1-xxx including 1-8xx (EXCEPT the toll free numbers starting with 800, 88x, 877, 866, 855, 844, 833 and 822) are routed through Google Voice. The exceptions should go through the landline. Is it possible to set it up that way? :)