News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV and Tracfone and obi

Started by TheDancingGecko, April 25, 2012, 08:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDancingGecko

Right now I use only use GV as my cell phone number.
(In GV settings I have it set to forward the GV number to my Tracfone)

If I set up an OBi device to use my GV number at home, will I still be able to forward the GV number to my Tracfone also??

Thanks

lhm.

TheDancingGecko

Quote from: lhm. on April 25, 2012, 09:01:29 AM
Yes.
Hey thanks.....
As I read through the forum....using the OBi seems so simple......but then....it also seems sooooo complicated.
Everyone talking about port this sip that...trunk....using 4 lines at once.....and THEN there is the "Trusted Circle"

Whoever is in my "Circle" now can call my number and then use it to call others...??? Why in the H*** would they do that?

If I can just stay simple...... :D

jimates

You need a gmail account with your current google voice number associated with it.

Set up calling from gmail using google chat. Once you do that, another forwarding phone will appear in your google voice account as Google Chat.

Check the box for Google Chat as a forwarding phone.

Set up your Obi using the google voice account/gmail log in credentials.

Your Obi will be just like your Tracfone, a forwarding phone in google voice.

Felix

Quote from: TheDancingGecko on April 25, 2012, 09:45:23 AM
Hey thanks.....
As I read through the forum....using the OBi seems so simple......but then....it also seems sooooo complicated.
Everyone talking about port this sip that...trunk....using 4 lines at once.....and THEN there is the "Trusted Circle"

Whoever is in my "Circle" now can call my number and then use it to call others...??? Why in the H*** would they do that?

If I can just stay simple...... :D
I'll tell you the way I told my Dad... don't worry about the features of the device; start with what you want it to do. I have four OBi - and none of them have any trusted circles. Also, all of them have very trivial dial plans.

They have 1, 2, or 3 lines - not because it's cool, but because I call domestically with different provider than internationally. Dad doesn't want to give up PSTN - which is only used for incoming calls, and in case something wrong with Internet - so he has OBi110 and 3 lines.

So, decide what you want. If you are in US, and hardly ever call internationally, and you don't mind to have GV as your only phone company (no 911; no support; some other limitations) - then you can have one provider and your setup is staying trivial. That's how my cousin have it - 1 line.

If you want something else - OBi will most likely allow you to do it, but it will require more configuration. I remember Perl motto - make simple things simple, and complex things possible.

Good luck