News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 100 & Anveo - no long distance

Started by pointpeninsula, May 12, 2014, 08:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointpeninsula

Hi,

I'm one of the recent converts from GV, and after solving the SIP scanner problem, I seem to have a new one. My phone works fine for making and receiving local calls, but when I try to make a long-distance call, I get a ringback.

Any ideas? Is this an Obi problem, Anveo problem, or a combination of the two?

tia,
Tom

AlanB

Did you have the ability to make long distance calls before protecting against SIP scanners?  Could you have entered some data in wrong block?

Probably not an Anveo problem. If you are in the US a local and long distance US should be the same thing.

Shale

You get a ringback? Do you mean you hear ringback tone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringback_tone, or are you saying that your phone rings?

If your Anveo is SP2, try prefixing your number with **2; adjust number to match appropriate SP. This is just a test and possible temporary workaround.

pointpeninsula

Thanks for the replies. As you can see, this problem isn't very high on my list of things to do!

Shale:
Ringback: I meant a ringback tone (like a fast busy), not that my phone is ringing.
I tried dialing out with **1, then 9145551212 (I figured that would at least test the system). I get the same problem with or without the prefix. My Anveo configuration is on SP1.

AlanB:
I don't know if I could call long distance with Anveo. I know it worked with Google Voice, though. As a test, I removed the X_InboundCallRoute filter and set it back to the 'ph' default, and I still could not dial out long distance (using directory assistance for 914 as a test). I agree that it ought not to be an Anveo problem, but I'm stuck between Obi and Anveo, so I'd probably start with them.

Any other ideas that I can try? Otherwise I'll open a support ticket with Anveo. I think I get one freebie per month.

Thanks,
Tom

Shale

Check what shows up in you log in your OBi100 for the calls in question.

To check the call history log:

1.  If you do not know the IP address of your OBi, find IP address:
from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.  Write it
down.

2.Let a comma represent a pause. On your connected phone,
for OBi100, 110, 200 or subsequent OBi202 access dial ***1.

Your OBi should read your current IP number to you. It is often
192.168.__.__ or 10.0.__/.___ where __ represents some numbers. Write
that down.

3. Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your
browser. If you don't know what a browser is, that means Internet Explorer,
Chrome or Safari. It could  also mean Firefox,  etc.

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. The username is admin.

4. On the left, click Status -> Call History.

c3c3

Quote from: pointpeninsula on May 22, 2014, 02:47:29 PM
Any other ideas that I can try? Otherwise I'll open a support ticket with Anveo. I think I get one freebie per month.

For the Obitalk plans, you get one freebie for the life of the account.  Unless you have custom settings (most people don't need to), do a factory reset and reprovision.

AlanB

Is 914-555-1212 a valid number?  There really is no "local" and "long distance" within US.  You could connect to the internet anywhere.   If you dial a "local" number using the area code first (10 digit dialing) does it work?

pointpeninsula

Thanks for all the great ideas.

And, after getting Java to work, I found the tone on Wikipedia from the link you provided, Shale, and of course what I was really hearing is the reorder tone.

The numbers with area code are stored in the call history both locally on the Obi (accessed it's web server in the private LAN), and they also show up in the Anveo call log from their website, so the system is certainly trying to call.

The (area code)-555-1212 should work; my only other option is trying that number on my cell, but ATT intercepts it and provides their directory assistance (at least I think that's what is happening). I tried it just now with my wife's Verizon phone and got right to an operator (a real human!).

I can call my local number using 10-digit dialing and it works fine.

I guess I'll try the reset and reprovision later. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks,

Tom

pointpeninsula

I did the factory reset and reprovision (as far as I can tell, since Anveo quit working until I performed the reprovision), and there's no change. I still get the reorder tone when I attempt to dial long distance.

Any other ideas from anyone?

tia,

Tom

c3c3

Did you do this?

1. Delete device from obitalk.com
2. Factory reset
3. Add device to obitalk.com
4. Reprovision Anveo

pointpeninsula

I hadn't deleted the device first, no. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks.