News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voice (V92) modem doesn't work with Obi200 [SOLVED]

Started by Pulsar, May 15, 2015, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulsar

I got Obi200 recently, it works well with my cordless phone (including CallerID detection), but my voice modem (Hiro H50006; PCI card inside my Windows PC) doesn't work at all, when I connect the "Line" connector of the modem to the "Phone" connector of Obi200. I don't see any messages in the modem's log. (My Obi200 is using two VOIP providers, freephoneline and GV.)

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I really need it to work, as the software I am running on PC (CallStation) is very good in zapping telemarketing calls. (It has ~40 numbers of telemarketers in its black list; every time one of them calls, it gets "this number is not in service" message). It worked fine when I had the land line.

Obi200 has dozens of options in Physical interfaces/Phone 1 section. I tried to play with some of them (like Impedance, different voltage settings), but still the modem's log is empty, and CallStation doesn't pick the call.

Perhaps I need to change my modem settings - like Port speed, Data protocol (Standard EC/Disabled/Forced EC), Compression (enabled/disabled), Flow control (Hardware/none), Data bits (4...8 ), Parity (None/even/odd/mark/space), or Stop bits (1,1.5,2)?

drgeoff

The first step is to ascertain that the modem is electrically connected to your OBi. On your PC, initiate a modem call.  Do you see the appropriate PHONE LED on the Obi begin to flash?

Pulsar

Thanks for the advice. I just tried that, and I had no problem calling my cell phone from CallStation app running on my PC (which is using voice modem to talk to Obi200). I do see lots of related activity in the voice modem log. So electric connection is fine.

But when I try the opposite - calling home from cell phone - voice modem log shows nothing, and CallStation records nothing.

Is there any Obi200 setting I need to enable for this to work?

drgeoff

Log in to the Obi's local web GUI. Click on 'Status' and then 'Call History'. Do you see the incoming calls and are they shown in the right hand column as going to the PHONE port?

If yes, I suggest increasing the ringing voltage. Physical Interfaces/Phone Port/Ringer/RingVoltage. You can also try changing the RingWaveform to Trapezoidal.

Pulsar

I do see "To PH1" and "Ringing" next to the calls I made earlier today when testing the modem. But I thought that should be the case, as my phone connected to the Phone connector of Obi200 rang.

I already tried most of phone parameters in Obi200 (different voltages, currents, and impedance), to no avail. I didn't try the trapezoidal signal, so that's what I'll do next - thanks for the suggestion.

Pulsar

Wow, it actually worked - thanks a lot for the suggestions! Reducing the "RingVoltage" down to the lowest allowed value (55V; the default value is 70V) did the trick: from completely ignoring calls, now the PC modem does everything: records callerID, records messages etc. I was actually going to give up on this.