News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wall-mountable template.

Started by Ostracus, April 17, 2012, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

Actually my "feature" request is an example of how the simplest things get overlooked. For all the wall-mountable units Obi should include a template. That can be as simple as two marks on the edge of the quick-start guide.

Wilbour

I never looked at the bottom of my OBi but are there "key holes" for mounting on the wall? If so, I have in the past, used a piece of paper and rubbed a pencil or chaulk over the holes or just poke them with the pencil. Just remember that this template will need to be reversed on the wall. If there are not "key holes" then the last few sentences are irrelavent.

Shivers

I purchased my Obi110 in March, 2011 and the keyholes for wall mounting are upside down! Take a look at your Obi and see if you can wall mount it right side up. I can't imagine that after a year of production run this hasn't been fixed. I suppose I could rotate it 90 degrees from TDC and mount it sideways.

infin8loop

Quote from: Shivers on April 17, 2012, 06:36:33 PM
I purchased my Obi110 in March, 2011 and the keyholes for wall mounting are upside down! Take a look at your Obi and see if you can wall mount it right side up. I can't imagine that after a year of production run this hasn't been fixed. I suppose I could rotate it 90 degrees from TDC and mount it sideways.

My Obi110 (old style with relay) has the keyholes oriented so the cables will hang naturally from the bottom (back of the unit) rather than sprout from the top like flowers from a vase. True, the logo will be upside down in this orientation. Perhaps they should just leave the logo off the unit and save another nickel. I could probably mount a mirror at a 45 degree angle above the logo (like the mirror over a patient's head in an Iron Lung) and view the logo through the mirror. Fortunately for me, my two OBis lay flat. I haven't found anything that I want to put four screws into (although at times this Beagle...).   
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Wilbour

When you think about it, most manufacturers want the cables to hang down. This reduces the stress on the ports and keeps water out in the case of a disaster of sorts. All of my routers, modems ect. are on the wall behind a door. I like the hidden from view look.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Ostracus on April 17, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
Actually my "feature" request is an example of how the simplest things get overlooked. For all the wall-mountable units Obi should include a template. That can be as simple as two marks on the edge of the quick-start guide.

And then the printer prints the guide at a slightly different size than anticipated and your marks are a quarter of an inch off, and then people really get mad when they realize they've punched a useless hole in the wall!  :o

It isn't rocket science - the holes on the OBi110 and the OBi202 are 3⅝ inches (92 mm) apart.  You use this amazing device called a ruler (ask your kids, they probably have a few), and draw short vertical lines that distance apart (measure first in case they change the distance between the holes for some reason).  Then (optionally) use a level or a carpenter's square to make the horizontal cross lines (a rectangular piece of paper, held or taped so that the edge lines up with the adjacent wall in a corner of the room, can sometimes replace the carpenter's square in a pinch).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Ostracus

No MT it isn't rocket science. It's customer service. Companies do it all the time.

Wilbour

Quote from: Wilbour on April 17, 2012, 02:05:55 PMI have in the past, used a piece of paper and rubbed a pencil or chaulk over the holes or just poke them with the pencil. Just remember that this template will need to be reversed on the wall.

This guy has a great idea! No measuring required!

TheBigMonkey

Quote from: Wilbour on April 18, 2012, 07:40:09 AM
Quote from: Wilbour on April 17, 2012, 02:05:55 PMI have in the past, used a piece of paper and rubbed a pencil or chaulk over the holes or just poke them with the pencil. Just remember that this template will need to be reversed on the wall.

This guy has a great idea! No measuring required!

+1
That's always the way I do it.