News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Since 5/8/2012 night, GV stop working

Started by jjw1368, May 09, 2012, 03:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Given that it took a firmware fix, that implies to me that GoogleVoice made a change that blocked OBi.  That tells me that OBi is not working closely with Google on an ongoing basis.  That really concerns me, as a person that bought this device SOLELY to eliminate my landline and use GV.  OBi needs to:

1) Explain what happened and why it took 12 hours to fix.
2) Explain their ongoing relationship with GV and reassure their user base that going forward this should not happen again.

Or, tell us why it has nothing to do with changes that GV made.

yorktown

Just spoke to Obihai.    All phones will update manually.  If not, dial ***6.  The main portal site is up and working as well.

Also they implied that Google's change was sudden and they clearly did not expect it.  I did state the same concern as the previous post.  The only answer I got was a cool "It works now."

Hopefully this stuff doesn't happen again.

Rick

That's not an acceptable answer.  I hope OBi will reassure us all soon, because if they aren't working with Google hand in hand then it throws their box into the "nice, but I can't rely on it" category.

wpollock

I can't say if my service stopped during the night of 5/8 but did notice it this morning. Interestingly,I went to the OBITALK portal to try to log in but saw that the portal was temporarily down for "maintenance" and would be open soon. When I finally did log in i saw a icon prompting me that there was a firmware update for my primary number.I clicked and downloaded the firmware and lo and behold was able to place an outgoing call. I have had my device since late 2011 and other than the occasional echo and intermittent dial tone when first starting to place a outgoing call I have had no issues.

I would like to know if the port line indicator is supposed to stay solid green at all times or just when making/receiving a call.

Hope this helps.

RonR

Quote from: wpollock on May 09, 2012, 02:02:23 PM
I would like to know if the port line indicator is supposed to stay solid green at all times or just when making/receiving a call.

The LINE Port indicator should be solid when the LINE Port is not in use but is available/ready for use.  When it's in use, the LINE Port indicator should blink slowly.  When there is an incoming call, the LINE Port indicator should blink rapidly.

SeaObi

It'll be a bummer if Google moves to block Obi.  But I've gotten my money back many times over so I won't cry too much.  

What's everyone expecting?  That Google should give them free phone service for the rest of their lives, no matter how they use it?

Some of these responses just crack me up - it's as though some people believe there is an obligation by either Google and/or Obihai to provide them with free phone service forever.  What planet are some of you from???

I'll just port my number to Callcentric and still be ahead.

Ostracus

Quote from: Rick on May 09, 2012, 01:34:48 PM
That's not an acceptable answer.  I hope OBi will reassure us all soon, because if they aren't working with Google hand in hand then it throws their box into the "nice, but I can't rely on it" category.

Isn't all of VoIP like that?

RFord

I other individual with a warped sense of entitlement.  Only a moron would believe the nonsense you are talking spewing below.  Google Voice can disappear at any time as Google see fits.  If you brought the device thinking you will enjoy free GV calling into infinitum, only shows how foolish you are.  Google and/or OBiHAI owes you nothing and OBiHAI did not say anywhere that the device will forever offer free GV calling.  You better return the device if that is your expectation.  Enjoy while it last, because Google can stop GV at anytime or make it a totally paid service.  Your asinine comments just makes me want to puke.  BTW, where you the guy who wanted to switch over your entire Church Organization to GV/OBi?

Quote from: Rick on May 09, 2012, 12:29:43 PM
Given that it took a firmware fix, that implies to me that GoogleVoice made a change that blocked OBi.  That tells me that OBi is not working closely with Google on an ongoing basis.  That really concerns me, as a person that bought this device SOLELY to eliminate my landline and use GV.  OBi needs to:

1) Explain what happened and why it took 12 hours to fix.
2) Explain their ongoing relationship with GV and reassure their user base that going forward this should not happen again.

Or, tell us why it has nothing to do with changes that GV made.

RFord

Well said!!  GV is only a small part of this great ATA, something a few individuals fail to realize.

Quote from: SeaObi on May 09, 2012, 02:52:13 PM
It'll be a bummer if Google moves to block Obi.  But I've gotten my money back many times over so I won't cry too much.  

What's everyone expecting?  That Google should give them free phone service for the rest of their lives, no matter how they use it?

Some of these responses just crack me up - it's as though some people believe there is an obligation by either Google and/or Obihai to provide them with free phone service forever.  What planet are some of you from???

I'll just port my number to Callcentric and still be ahead.

Boston

Anyone still having an issue after updated the firmware?  Still getting the error when I dial a number.

BobTeatow

Of course I love to use GV for free, but I'm ready to pay IF their rates are competitive with other VOIP service like voip.ms and callcentric (I already have accounts with those guys for international, 411/911, and as a backup for times like this morning when GV/Obi was busted.)

dhobi

Obihai should start providing affordable VOIP service. Or partner with some VOIP provider for re-branded service. They understand that people who buy the OBi devices are cheap and want to keep costs down.

Ronio

Quote from: Boston on May 09, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
Anyone still having an issue after updated the firmware?  Still getting the error when I dial a number.

Yeah, mine was still broke.  I went in to check my unit, it was already on the newer firmware (They must have done a force push out) and my profile for GV was completely gone.  I had to rerun the Device Configuration from the Portal.

ronio

Rick

RFord:

Your comments are unacceptable on this forum.  Attacking people when you differ in opinions isn't ok, nor is use of words you used.

OBi is not a VoIP provider.  OBi produces a hardware box that they say works with GV.  While the free status of Google Voice in 2012 (which Google has committed to, so no, they won't just start charging) is only guaranteed until 12/31/12, no where does OBi say that there device may not work with GV at all.  Not a question of money, it's a question of functionality.  In fact, OBi says on their site: Free calls from your home phone with an OBi and Google Voice.  The asterisk on the word "calls" explains that the calls are free through 2012.  Nothing about the box not working with GV at all, which was the case.

If GV blocked OBi devices permanently, OBi would likely have major financial issues as many/most owners would seek to return the device, under warranty, for not performing as advertised.  So yes, I have an expectation that OBi has some relationship with GV that allows them to stay abreast of changes and keep functioning.  This 12 hour outage has me concerned.

synchron

What firmware update?  I woke up with green status off and service not available on SP1.  6 hours later when I came home light was back on and Sp1 worked fine.  I dialed ***6 and got 'firmware unavailable'.

So did the fw get auto updated unattended?  Or is this working just due to Obihai's end?  How do I find out what my current firmware is since it doesn't say in Obitalk?

Thanks, Synchron  8)

Luck1

Quote from: Ronio on May 09, 2012, 04:19:18 PM

Yeah, mine was still broke.  I went in to check my unit, it was already on the newer firmware (They must have done a force push out) and my profile for GV was completely gone.  I had to rerun the Device Configuration from the Portal.

ronio

Mind is still broke.  When I tried to use ***6, it replies "No update avaialble".  When I try download the firmware maually, the IP address that I obtained through the phone won't get me to the log in page.  I am still dead in the water.

crazyk4952

Quote from: synchron on May 09, 2012, 04:49:22 PM
What firmware update?  I woke up with green status off and service not available on SP1.  6 hours later when I came home light was back on and Sp1 worked fine.  I dialed ***6 and got 'firmware unavailable'.

So did the fw get auto updated unattended?  Or is this working just due to Obihai's end?  How do I find out what my current firmware is since it doesn't say in Obitalk?

Thanks, Synchron  8)

Yes, it seems that OBi has the power to push out firmware updates to the OBi boxes. They pushed it out to everybody (even those that had explicitly turned firmware updates off). This has a lot of people concerned and I think that OBi just lost a bunch of customers due to the now obvious mandatory tie to OBi servers....

yorktown

They told me on the phone that the upgrade was a 'push' and done by itself.

Also....if Google shut down GV (They do shut businesses with a shock on occassion) that only means one less VOIP provider.  OBI is multifunctional with different VOIP providers.  So I am not sure they would have to honor the returns.  The device would work, and GV is not Obihai, the decision by Google to shut GV would be beyond Obihai's control.

The larger concern here is Obihai can't afford to get caught like this again.  They need to make sure their developers are in constant communication with GV devs so they can expect, plan and adapt quickly to major coding changes like last night.

Boston

Quote from: Ronio on May 09, 2012, 04:19:18 PM

ronio

Thanks man that worked for me.

pc44

Quote from: SeaObi on May 09, 2012, 02:52:13 PM

+1 !!

Quote from: SeaObi on May 09, 2012, 02:52:13 PMSome of these responses just crack me up - it's as though some people believe there is an obligation by either Google and/or Obihai to provide them with free phone service forever.  What planet are some of you from???

+1 !!

I don't understand the demanding tone of some of us.  I believe Obi is doing the best they can without any input, interaction, or the benefit of advance notice from Google.  RonR said he'd bet the farm "there is absolutely no relationship nor any communication between Obihai and Google -- and never has been."  While he doesn't strike me as a Farmer, I think he'll get to keep his farm.  :D

If Obihai gradually improves their equipment, functionality, and customer service, eventually they might be that big company that either gets to work directly with Google or that gets bought by Google!  :)