News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Since 5/8/2012 night, GV stop working

Started by jjw1368, May 09, 2012, 03:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhobi

For HD you will need an actual HD phone too and of course the other party needs to be set up for HD otherwise it's pretty useless. HD is probably not that useful at this point.

Wickabell

All my Obi 110 devices have been setup for months now and previously worked good.

One (1) OBi110 is located in Pennsylvania USA is connected through Comcast  and Echo test is working. I can call and receive calls from another OBi110

I have dialtone but receive "No Service Available" error

I have tried to upgrade software with *** 6 but says no upgrade available.

I have three (3) other OBi110 boxes in Europe and they are working OK and we have successfully upgraded firmware.

So what to do with box that still is NOT working?

ShermanObi

@Wickabell - Please contact Obihai support. 
They will help you troubleshoot & get your device working.

Support Request Form:  Click Here
Email:  support@obihai.com
Phone:  +1.408.634.5904

dhobi

Sounds like automatically pushing these firmware updates is not such a good idea as they can brick some units. Obihai can't make sure that the user is not fiddling with the settings at the time or just by pure coincidence unplugging the power, or suffering a power outage, etc.

A much better approach would be to notify the users (via email perhaps) that a required firmware update is available and let the user decide when to apply it. The notification should be clear about what has changed and why, in this case it should make it very clear that "GV service will not work until he new firmware is installed".

jxzz

I am glad yesterday one even outage event was helped out by my second line at Callcentric + ipkall number.

The GV was down in the morning, but the 2nd line with Callcentric free account worked and we were not affected as much as last time.

I don't blame Obihai too much on this as this events means that OBihai is good for a techie like me, but not ready for mass media.   Obihai is less reliable than vonage or landline cord, but similar to better than cell phone.

frankb

Quote from: dhobi on May 10, 2012, 10:21:30 AM
Sounds like automatically pushing these firmware updates is not such a good idea as they can brick some units. Obihai can't make sure that the user is not fiddling with the settings at the time or just by pure coincidence unplugging the power, or suffering a power outage, etc.

A much better approach would be to notify the users (via email perhaps) that a required firmware update is available and let the user decide when to apply it. The notification should be clear about what has changed and why, in this case it should make it very clear that "GV service will not work until he new firmware is installed".
Mine seemed to get bricked by just being on the phone at the moment.

dhobi

Quote from: frankb on May 10, 2012, 01:35:49 PM
Mine seemed to get bricked by just being on the phone at the moment.

Ha! There you have it. If that bricks it then it's really a poor plan for Obihai to push firmware updates. If there's a required firmware update just play a message when the user picks up the phone, send an email, etc. there are many ways you can let the user confirm the action.

goodobi

Does anybody know why this FW update was needed and jusified to be AUTOMATICALLY pushed?

I have my OBI devices for quite a while since 2011 and never needed to update the FW and it worked fine until now.
2 obi110 devices I have oversea failed to update as a result of this push and now cannot be used unless I fly over to fix them .

infin8loop

I'm certainly not defending the automatic push of the fw.  Just thinking out loud.  I wonder if Obihai got blow back from google because of all these Obi devices trying to register to google voice and failing for whatever reason (backing off).  The failure was probably a result of something google changed, but nevertheless the devices started failing to register, perhaps causing stress on google voice servers.  Result: Slam the fix in to appease google. This is just speculation. I haven't read all the posts, so if someone else has mentioned this possible scenario, pardon.

It's really going to get interesting if and when google decides to monetize their investment in google voice and domestic calls are no longer free.  This forum is more entertaining than most TV on my overpriced cable.  LOL             
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

dhobi

Quote from: infin8loop on May 10, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
  This forum is more entertaining than most TV on my overpriced cable.  LOL             

Yeah, we need a ObiTV box for free cable.

ShermanObi

@goodobi, @frankb

Please contact Obihai customer service. 
We can help you troubleshoot the issues associated with your units.

Support Request Form:  Click Here
Email:  support@obihai.com
Phone:  +1.408.634.5904

Ostracus

Quote from: dhobi on May 10, 2012, 06:35:00 PM
Quote from: infin8loop on May 10, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
  This forum is more entertaining than most TV on my overpriced cable.  LOL             

Yeah, we need a ObiTV box for free cable.

Roku. ;D

a10splayer

Like almost all of you I had issues with my OBI110 today. Can't quite remember if it was yesterday or day before that it was working just fine. I was not able to get the OBI attendant when I tried to dial from SIP client on my PC which had the OBI110 set as gateway. Upon checking OBITalk Web, both SP's were registered and working fine and OBI110 was showing as offline. When calling from attached phone I got the same message as posted by mvg1...
Quote from: mvg1 on May 09, 2012, 06:47:26 PM
I am unable to make or receive calls. Sp1 shows backing off. When I try to make a call male voice says "There is No service available to complete your call"

I have the latest firmware on my device and still the issue.

I also noticed the update firmware indicator next to my OBI device entry was gone. Can't quite remember if I had initiated the update, so decided to manually upload the latest firmware via the fw file thinking the pushed fw may have caused issues. This did not help either.. Removed the OBI110 from my OBI account and added it back, added both SP lines back and both connected/registered but then from OBI110's web interface I noticed the OBITalk Service Status (system status) was showing "Backing Off". I was now able to make calls from my GV account however from OBI110, but not using my SIP Client.

MY FIX (if this helps you): With all pieces mostly working and having removed and re-added the unit with my OBITalk account, I decided to remove it's gateway reference for the OBIApp device. As soon as I had done that, the OBI110 showed up as online on my OBITalk account. Tried to access OBI Attendant and confirmed it worked via the phone and when I added the OBI as a gateway again and dialing from OBIApp.

No I will have to monitor if when the fw is updated, I may need to remove any gateway reference to my OBI before rebooting it and/or letting it register with the new fw.

Rikin

Quote from: frankb on May 10, 2012, 05:27:54 AM
Quote from: Rikin on May 10, 2012, 03:37:06 AM
changing DNS to 4.2.2.2 fixes the issue.

either update your router DNS to 4.2.2.2
or
update DNS in OBi.
Follow the steps on page 13 of doc http://www.obihai.com/docs/GoogleVoiceOBiTALK.pdf
Are you referring to Lavarock7's problem?

I'm referring to:
"Backing Off ", Backing Off (0s):TCP connection to 173.194.79.125 failed