News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

"No Service" but everything seems fine. Why no service?

Started by Engineering-Mom, April 26, 2012, 04:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineering-Mom

I set my system up and was connected and calling in no time. I set up a phone number with Google Voice. Today, and once before, the phone was not in service when I tried to make a call.  Here's what I did, and still get no service:

1. unplugged my cable modem, my router, and obi box
2. waited 1 minute. Then I reconnected, in this order, the modem, waited for status, then the router, waited, then obi. Obi is still a solid green
3. checked for firmware updates. We are up to date.
4. did a ***222-222-222 voice check from my phone. Worked fine.

This makes me think it's Google Voice that has an issue, but I don't have the foggiest idea for what to check for.

Anyone able to help?

RonR

Do you mean calls are receiving a "There is no service available to complete your call" announcement when you attempt to make a call using Google Voice?

If so, log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 (default username/password = admin/admin).

Does the SP1 Service Status shown on the System Status page show Connected?

If so, can you place a call using Google Voice by dialing **1 + number?

What is shown in the Call History for a failed call?

Engineering-Mom

I get a "There is no service available to complete your call" announcement when I try to make a call from the house phones attached to Obi. It's an AT&T branded base with 4 handsets. Base is connected to Obi properly.

If I call the Google number attached to the house phone, the house phone does not ring and I get voice mail....and an email in my Google Voice (GV) account telling me I missed the call.

Dialing ***1 from the obi-connected phone gives me a voice telling me the IP address.

Call history in my Google Voice account shows all calls in the past 3 days as "missed" calls....I guess it broke about 3 days ago.

I have checked the cables to the phone base from Obi and everything is connected properly. There is no reason for a catastrophic failure of the cables themselves, since they have not been moved since the break down.

>If so, can you place a call using Google Voice by dialing **1 + number?

No calls of any kind can be made. I get a no service message. Just the voice echo check and calls directly to Obi for IP address work. No actual, useful phone calls can be made.

This makes no sense. I guess I will need to purchase a simple phone to hook directly into Obi to see if that works, but I doubt it will. The Google chat box is checked/enabled/connected.

I changed my password on Gmail a few days back....but  that shouldn't make a difference, since there is no requirement for a password from Obi....there is something wrong with the Google Voice set up. I will go through set up all over again, but I don't think it will matter. I can't think if anything else to do except chunk the Obi and start with something that doesn't need Google Voice. I think that is where the problem is.

Help for GV is dismal. Lots of cute cartoon videos of how great GV is, but nothing to help you understand how this thing all works, technically, so you cannot make good troubleshooting judgements because there is no "manual." Damn software jockies never document their work; I appreciate hardware more and more; HW tends to get documented....I work in a job (I am an EE) that has me on both sides, strattling the HW/SW fence. SW is much, much more complicated.

RonR

Quote from: Engineering-Mom on April 27, 2012, 06:47:25 AM
I changed my password on Gmail a few days back....but  that shouldn't make a difference, since there is no requirement for a password from Obi.

You must update the password in the OBi:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)

Engineering-Mom

I just figured that out when I deleted the device and then added it again. Upon re-adding it, I had to reenter my password. I sincerely wish this had been in the set up instructions somewhere.

Lavarock7

Quote from: Engineering-Mom on April 27, 2012, 06:59:52 AM
I just figured that out when I deleted the device and then added it again. Upon re-adding it, I had to reenter my password. I sincerely wish this had been in the set up instructions somewhere.

It is mentioned in one of the documents, but is not as obvious as it could be:

http://www.obihai.com/itspConfiguration/itspConfiguration-googlevoice.html

Note about your Gmail username and password: This configuration utility is for easy placement your Gmail username and password information into the OBi device on a trusted network. Your Gmail password is not stored by Obihai or OBiTALK servers. Your Gmail username and password are used only by your OBi device to communicate with Google servers. Communication between the OBi device and Google servers is secured using HTTPS.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com