News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ultimate BACKUP option advise from the OBI experts

Started by rrolsbe, May 10, 2012, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrolsbe

Since I do not want to get on my wife's S**t list, I am trying to get my OBI VOIP backup options as sound as possible.

I am using my OBI110 with a Google Voice account.  I purchased a OBI100 to use in the event the OBI110 fails.  I verified the backup OBI100 using a different Google Voice account.  I also have a backup NAT router and cable modem.  I plan to connect all required hardware to a UPS soon; however, I don't believe Comcast uses any UPS gear for their last mile.  Since we had a Google Voice/OBI outage just yesterday that my backup strategy, discussed above, would not have covered, I have a few questions for the experts.  NOTE: Forwarding to my cell phone would have worked during yesterdays downtime; however, that would not have helped if Google Voice was truly offline.

If my primary OBI110 fails for any reason, all I need to do it put my primary Google Voice login/password credentials into the backup OBI100?  As long as both are not on the network using the same login credentials there is not any problem?

I am considering configuring an alternate VOIP provider on SP2 on both of these units.  Since this would be for backup purposes only (assuming Google Voice remains viable), I would like to keep the monthly/yearly cost to a minimum.  If the backup option provided e911 that could convince me to pay slightly more.  Any VOIP provider recommendations are welcome and any hints on how to configure a recommended provider would be fantastic!!!

If I configure an alternate provider on SP2 on my OBI devices, the only things that change are the following:

When an inbound call arrives from either VOIP provider, the phone connected to the OBI device will ring?

The phone number for the two providers must be different?

When I make a call, the primary SP1 Google voice account will be used for the outbound call?

If Google Voice/OBI were down, callers would need to dial the phone number for the SP2 alternate VOIP provider and I would need prefix outbound calling with some prefix prior to dialing the phone number.  This prefix would instruct the OBI to use the alternate SP2 backup provider for the outbound call? BTW, what is the prefix?

Thanks Very Much in Advance for any help/guidance!!!
Regards, Ron

ProfTech

I don't have a 100 but based on the fact that the 100 and 110 run the same firmware I would believe that the end configuration(s) would be very similar as long as you are not using the line port of the 110. Your assumptions should then be correct. As far as using the same DID phone number with 2 service providers I don't think that would be possible especially since one of them is Google. To use the second service provider / account on either the 110 or the 100 you would normally dial **2. Very simple. You can get pay-as-you-go service from Callcentric for $3.45 per month including 911. For purely backup purposes they might cost you a little more than some of the others but If you are looking for reliability & call quality I don't think you can beat them.

rrolsbe

Quote from: ProfTech on May 14, 2012, 09:01:13 AM
I don't have a 100 but based on the fact that the 100 and 110 run the same firmware I would believe that the end configuration(s) would be very similar as long as you are not using the line port of the 110. Your assumptions should then be correct. As far as using the same DID phone number with 2 service providers I don't think that would be possible especially since one of them is Google. To use the second service provider / account on either the 110 or the 100 you would normally dial **2. Very simple. You can get pay-as-you-go service from Callcentric for $3.45 per month including 911. For purely backup purposes they might cost you a little more than some of the others but If you are looking for reliability & call quality I don't think you can beat them.

Thanks for the post.  Callcentric is the provider I plan to use as a backup but a second opinion is always good.

ProfTech

If plan to try using Google as your main provider initially and use Callcentric for backup, it is a simple matter to configure both the 100 and 110 so you do not need to dial **2 for 911. Just dial 911. The best of both worlds if you remain happy with Google. If not you can always switch it so Callcentric is primary.