News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Install problems - Can't get to admin page

Started by intersys, March 12, 2011, 11:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intersys

Just got the obi110 and having problems. I get a valid ip address but when trying to add device to obitalk or use with GV I get a no service message. I have a Dlink DIR655 router and set the Obi to the DMZ zone. Also tried port forwarding Port 5222. I will only be using it with GV once I get it configured. Any advice, please. Also can't ping the OBI so obviously can't get to the device web page. IP is set to 192.168.1.2 on the Obi which is within my network range.

Thanks

QBZappy

Quote from: intersys on March 12, 2011, 11:55:50 AM
Just got the obi110 and having problems. I get a valid ip address

How did you get a valid IP address and then you say "you can not ping it"? Not sure what that means.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

intersys

Dialing ***1 on phone reports IP as 192.168.1.1

I just succeeded in pinging - reset DHCP in router to full range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 and rebooted

Still cannot bring up 192,168.1.2 in browser nor get it recoginized in ObiTalk

Thanks for the reply -still trying to get set up

QBZappy

intersys,

What address is the gateway router. I think you left out the Obi address of 192.168.1.1
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

intersys

Router is at 192.168.1.1

Obi is at 192.168.1.2

RonR

Quote from: intersys on March 12, 2011, 01:43:40 PM
Dialing ***1 on phone reports IP as 192.168.1.1

Quote from: intersys on March 12, 2011, 02:40:41 PM
Router is at 192.168.1.1

Obi is at 192.168.1.2
This does not compute.

It sounds like you are setting a static IP address, and it got set to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.2.  If your router is 192.168.1.1 and ***1 reports the same, the two aren't likely to communicate.

You really ought to leave the OBi running DHCP and let it obtain it's IP address automatically from your router.

I would recommend you do a hardware reset on the OBi through the access hole in the bottom of the unit.  Hold it depressed for an extended period of time until the unit reverts back to factory defaults.  Then check its IP address with ***1 and leave it there until there's a good reason to set a static IP address.

intersys

Hi Ron

Thanks for the reply. Out of the box - the Obi - after I turned it on and connected to router reported 192.168.1.2

I mistyped if I said the Obi was at 192.168.1.1 - sorry. I was anxious to get it hooked up. Current status - after resetting to factory default is :

Obi is still at 192.168.1.2   Router is 192.168.1.1

I can ping 192.168.1.2, the obi is in the list of connected devices in the router, but I still cannot get to the web admin page - putting in 192.168.1.2 in the URL bar returns a could not connect. I do have 192.168.1.2 in the DMZ in the router. I'm a techie by trade so I'm dertermined to get this working.

RonR

You shouldn't need to put the OBi in the DMZ, and that doesn't affect LAN-to-LAN accesses anyway.  You also shouldn't need to change your router's default DHCP range.  Be careful changing a lot of things that don't need changing as it's easy to accidentally introduce new problems.

I would recommend resetting the OBi back to factory defaults using the internal reset button that's accessible through the bottom of the unit.  Make sure you hold it depressed for an extnded period of time.

Also, if have any programs that filter things to the browser (like AD removers, etc.), temporarily disable them as they can sometimes block more than they're intended to.

QBZappy

intersys,

Now that the IPs settings are cleared up, the next step:
Check your router port forward settings. See if you don't have any other service being port forwarded on port 80. Might be conflicting with the OBi web page which is also on port 80 by default. If you find you have another service running on port 80 you will have to stop that service before you can get to the OBi web page. Then you can either change the port config of the conflicting service or change the OBi default port number to something other than 80 once you gain initial access to the web page of the OBi unit.

RonR

Port Forwarding and DMZ only affect WAN-to-LAN operations in a router.  LAN-to-LAN is not affected by either.

QBZappy

RonR,

Hi,

I setup Adito SSL VPN a while ago. It runs on port 443. It wouldn't run until I disabled something else running on the same port. Just mentioned it as a possibility.

jimates

When you call ***1 for the IP, listen very carefully. It is very possible that there is at lesat one other number after the .2  (192.168.1.2X)
I missed it the first 2 times I set mine up. The last number sounds like it is the first part of the next statement.

I suggested they put some pauses in the attendants because there is no time between the attendants statements.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on March 12, 2011, 03:45:54 PMI setup Audito SSL VPN a while ago. It runs on port 443. It wouldn't run until I disabled something else running on the same port.
If all participants of the Adito SSL VPN was limited to devices connected to LAN ports on the same router, that should not have occurred.  From my quick read, it appears Adito SSL VPN allows you to remotely access things from the Internet.  Getting in from the Internet (WAN-to-LAN) often does require unique port forwarding entries in your router.  But PC-to-OBi is LAN-to-LAN and port forwarding doesn't come into play.  You should be able to trash about every setting there is in your router and still have LAN-to-LAN operations run normally.

MichiganTelephone

Another suggestion — once you sure sure you have the correct IP, try a different browser (for example, if you normally use Firefox, try Opera or Safari or Chrome).  Or if you have another computer on your local network, try accessing the device from there.  This will eliminate any issues you may be having with plugins or add-ons that you've forgotten about, or maybe even firewall issues on that specific computer.

The first thing you should see when you access the device is a login prompt, which in certain browsers might be considered a popup.  And also, you must have JavaScript enabled (come to think of it, if you don't have JavaScript enabled you'll have exactly the effect you're seeing - the unit will appear non-responsive). That last line was incorrect, sorry about that, and thanks to QBZappy for pointing out my mistake.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

QBZappy

Using Firefox, I turned  off javascript, closed firefox, came back to it and I could manage to log on to the Obi web page. Not sure it's that.

MichiganTelephone

Never mind, brain fart.   :-[  I can log in, but if I don't have JavaScript turned on the right side of the display is just a bunch of semi-garbled text. Some other things give me nothing but a blank white page if I don't have JavaScript enabled, but the OBi isn't one of them.  My mistake.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

intersys

@jimates - THANKS!!!

After listening 3 or 4 times I finally figured out that there was a 44 after the 192.168.1.2 so it is 192.168.1.244 -

A big DOH!!! for me. Wow - it's been a long day. On to the next step  :)

QBZappy

jimates,

Good call. Who would have known that little quirk of the OBi???

jimates

As I said, I made the same mistake twice.
I put in a request to add some time between the AA statements on the Obion app. It gives a command and by the time you get the phone back to your ear you have missed the beginning of the next statement.

I guess they could implement that every where in the AA, not just the apps.