News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use Line Port as a Second Line Voip?

Started by kleinberger, March 12, 2011, 04:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleinberger

Is it possible to hook up a second phone to the line port and have 2 different gv accounts incoming/outgoing separately. So, basically one phone would ring for one person...and the other for me? From what I've read...the FXO port does all sorts of other fancy stuff. I just want it to act like the phone port. Can I do this? Thanks for your help.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: kleinberger on March 12, 2011, 04:24:17 PM
Is it possible to hook up a second phone to the line port and have 2 different gv accounts incoming/outgoing separately. So, basically one phone would ring for one person...and the other for me? From what I've read...the FXO port does all sorts of other fancy stuff. I just want it to act like the phone port. Can I do this? Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but no.  The Line port is meant for connecting to a telephone line from a telephone company (or to some other device that emulates regular telephone service and gives you dial tone), which already has line voltage on it.  Therefore it cannot produce itself produce line voltage, nor give you the dial tone that a phone would need.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.