News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

utilize auto attendant to answer or barge into PSTN line from obi110 SIP caller

Started by rob613, May 14, 2012, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob613

Is it possible to use an Obi110 in my home that I can call into as a trusted caller from a SIP phone, to answer my ringing PSTN line or barge in to join an existing call on the PSTN line?

The barge in feature requires entering # from the phone attached to the Obi phone port.   The auto attendant uses # to terminate the dialing of a new number to call out to, and entering ## doesn't do what I am asking about here.

Perhaps there is a special code that I could specify in place of an outbound number that would have this effect?

RonR

While it's a simple task to bridge to the LINE Port from a SIP client or the Auto Attendant, LINE Port Barge In is a feature that's only available to the PHONE Port.  Attempts to bridge to the LINE Port from any other endpoint or trunk will receive a BUSY if the LINE Port is currently in use (the LINE Port is considered in use as soon as an incoming call starts ringing).

rob613

Is the line port considered busy, from the perspective a trusted SIP caller into the auto attendant, if the POTS line is ringing or was answered by an analog answering machine or phone in parallel with the obi on the home wiring?

That is the situation I am describing that I want to initiate a bridge remotely when someone has called my home.

QBZappy

rob613,

At the moment I think the only way you could join the conversation is if someone on the far end conferences you in. You would need a PBX or a sip account with at least 2 channels. If you are not at the far end, how would you ever know when to barge in?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: rob613 on May 15, 2012, 08:43:00 AM
Is the line port considered busy, from the perspective a trusted SIP caller into the auto attendant, if the POTS line is ringing or was answered by an analog answering machine or phone in parallel with the obi on the home wiring?

A trusted caller is simply an InboundCallRoute rule that routes that CallerID to the Auto Attendant and nothing more:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {12341234567:aa},{ph}

The CallerID '12341234567' is considered a trusted caller and is routed to the Auto Attendant.  There is no additional meaning or handling of a 'trusted caller'.

For additional info, see : Using Trusted Callers and Circle of Trust

The LINE Port is considered in use if:

1. It's ringing with an incoming call.

2. It has a call in progress on it.

3. An external device is off-hook.

rob613

QuoteAt the moment I think the only way you could join the conversation is if someone on the far end conferences you in. You would need a PBX or a sip account with at least 2 channels. If you are not at the far end, how would you ever know when to barge in?

Years before there ever was an Obi, I had a serial voice/fax modem listening in to catch caller-ID and a daemon polling it for updates.   I would thus see when a call came in, but also I was able to add to it to instant message me.  The technology for doing this should be even easier now.

I think we might have a modern and more typical scenario where someone at home answers a call and really another family member should join in on conference.   Contact the family member by a cell to cell family plan call to tell them to barge in, then let them connect in with full fidelity of a SIP phone call.

Bridging the call with 3-way calling to the cell phone might work with some fidelity drop as well as cell phone charges.  For the case where I have data bandwidth available and I can barge in I think its better all around and a worthwhile feature to consider having.

What is the limiting factor in the current system?

Since the auto attendant allows a trusted remote caller to place a call over the PSTN line, clearly the Obi hardware has the capability to join the virtual and physical ports.   Perhaps there is a code to "blind dial" (not wait for dial tone) a single digit that would provide this feature?

RonR

Quote from: rob613 on May 15, 2012, 12:06:26 PM
I think we might have a modern and more typical scenario where someone at home answers a call and really another family member should join in on conference.   Contact the family member by a cell to cell family plan call to tell them to barge in, then let them connect in with full fidelity of a SIP phone call.
What is the limiting factor in the current system?

Since the auto attendant allows a trusted remote caller to place a call over the PSTN line, clearly the Obi hardware has the capability to join the virtual and physical ports.   Perhaps there is a code to "blind dial" (not wait for dial tone) a single digit that would provide this feature?

Why call the third party and have them go through some strange procedure (which requires a yet unimplemented feature) to barge in on an existing call when you can simply conference them into the existing call yourself?

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Shiblee on June 05, 2015, 02:43:48 AM
Hi,

I have given {12341234567:aa},{ph} in my Obi200 SP2 X_InboundCallRoute. I have selected ObiBT as primary line for aa. I have changed aa digit map to (xx.)

I can connect to aa, enter pin & dial out number. After aa try to connect, it tells invalid number or routing not available.

What to do?

This forum section is for feature requests.  This forum topic does not relate to your post.  You have posted off-topic.  Try posting your new topic in a more related section of the forum.

OE