News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Separate GV Account For Obi

Started by classpro, March 13, 2011, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classpro

Folks,

I am waiting for my obi gizmo to arrive, and I have a question.  I've read about problems with using an existing gmail account.  I'm wondering is I could setup a new gmail/gv account for obi, and list the new phone number in my old gv account as the ring-to number.  Would calls  to my old gv number ring on my obi?  I don't really care which number shows up on outgoing calls, but i want incoming calls with my existing number to ring on the obi.  Will it work?  I also have a sipdroid account on my current gmail, and I'm worried obi will have trouble working with it.  Thanks

RonR

I've done a considerable amount of testing here and I haven't been able to find any problems using my Google Voice account with my OBi at the same time I'm logged into my Gmail account.  Outgoing and incoming calls to the OBi have worked reliably in every case.  That's not to say this guarantees the same results for everyone else, but I haven't been able to reproduce any of the problems reported by a couple of people, so I don't consider those reports credible.

jimates

You can not forward one GV number to another GV number.

This is a mild concern with some people on the other forums and I am glad RonR reported here about his testing. I will refer to it when the question comes up again.

I have tested using the same GV number on two Obi units. The calls only ring on the last one that signs into the gmail account. I thought maybe it would be the same way for Obig/Gmail, but I guess not.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on March 13, 2011, 12:34:47 PMYou can not forward one GV number to another GV number.
Since when?  There shouldn't be any interaction between two different Google Voice numbers.  I don't have any problems with one GV account calling another GV account.  If you're using the same Google Voice account (and therefore the same Google Voice number) on multiple OBi's, then I'm not surprised if there are some restrictions and limitations.

jimates

Sorry RonR, I worded that wrong. But if you read what the OP said it should be obvious what I meant. Again, sorry.

I'm wondering is I could setup a new gmail/gv account for obi, and list the new phone number in my old gv account as the ring-to number.

you cannot use a GV number as a forwarding phone in a GV account.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on March 13, 2011, 03:09:32 PMyou cannot use a GV number as a forwarding phone in a GV account.
I don't believe that's true.

You certainly can't list a GV number in its own forwarding list (why would anyone want or try to do this?).  But there shouldn't be any problem having one GV number list another GV number as one of its forwarding numbers.  On outgoing calls, GV simply places the call or callback through the PSTN.  I wouldn't think it checks to see if that number is another GV number.  Why would it care?  It's just a call out through the PSTN.

I'll try to find some time later to actually confirm it works, but if I were a gambler, I'd bet it will.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on March 13, 2011, 03:22:37 PM
Quote from: jimates on March 13, 2011, 03:09:32 PMyou cannot use a GV number as a forwarding phone in a GV account.
I don't believe that's true.

You certainly can't list a GV number in its own forwarding list (why would anyone want or try to do this?).  But there shouldn't be any problem having one GV number list another GV number as one of its forwarding numbers.  On outgoing calls, GV simply places the call or callback through the PSTN.  I wouldn't think it checks to see if that number is another GV number.  Why would it care?  It's just a call out through the PSTN.

I'll try to find some time later to actually confirm it works, but if I were a gambler, I'd bet it will.
Try adding a GV number as a forwarding phone. "Cannot add another Google Voice number as a forwarding number".

It has always been this way. It keeps you from having multiple GV numbers to forward call to. it would be great if we could forward calls to both my GV number and my wife's GV number, but you can't do that, I have to list both our phones in the same account.

It has nothing to do with placing an outgoing call, it is when you try to add a GV number to a GV account as a forwarding number.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on March 13, 2011, 03:35:36 PMTry adding a GV number as a forwarding phone. "Cannot add another Google Voice number as a forwarding number".
You're absolutely right.  I've never had an occasion to try it before, but I wouldn't have guessed GV had such a restriction.

classpro

My obi arrived.  I set it up on a new gmail/google voice account (because I don't want sipdroid to interfere), and asked google to switch my phone numbers between the two accounts on the linked google form.  Until the switch is made, I'm in limbo.  But I have a question.

Can I provision for google voice on one account, and then change the google voice account and re-provision?  I'm using the on-line configuration.  Will it easily switch between gmail/google voice accounts?

I'm going to post a separate message about sipdroid and obi sharing a google chat account.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: classpro on March 16, 2011, 03:47:57 PM
My obi arrived.  I set it up on a new gmail/google voice account (because I don't want sipdroid to interfere), and asked google to switch my phone numbers between the two accounts on the linked google form.  Until the switch is made, I'm in limbo.  But I have a question.

Can I provision for google voice on one account, and then change the google voice account and re-provision?  I'm using the on-line configuration.  Will it easily switch between gmail/google voice accounts?
In a word, yes.  You'll just need to enter your new Google Voice account information after the switch is completed.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.