News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure Caller ID WITH NAME?

Started by babobi, May 24, 2012, 01:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: babobi on May 24, 2012, 09:43:33 PMIf not, guess I'll just have to wait for an opening from Simon Telephonics and hopefully it will be in the near future.  :) Thanks again!

I got an e-mail from Bill Simon yesterday, and without going into all the details, I'll just note that he said he estimates it will be open to new users again in about a week.  In fact, he said he might let a few in here and there this week, so I'd keep checking if I were you.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

avibp

I use 'Phone Tray Free' from ( http://www.phonetray.com/ ) to identify (and potentially block) all the phone calls I get.  I am in LOVE with the program and its free.   Apparently there is a pay version which I know nothing about.

The catch(es)?
You have to have caller ID coming in. 
You have to have a (windows?) computer with a modem
Have the above two plugged into each other as well as both turned on ;)

Now you can set the tiny program to handle all calls with "varying" messages by caller, or area code.  I use the disconnected message for 800 numbers and "Does NOT accept Private/anonymous calls"  for that type.  There is even a fun one to torment your friends.  ie monthy python, "you shall not pass".  If I'm not mistaken, you can add your own.  The best part is the tones that some of the messages have before the message( (do Do DO) "We are sorry.  the number you called is not ....."). These tones actually tell the computers that your number is disconnected or no longer in service.  .... and you don't even have to ask/tell/yell at anyone to do this.  Its automatic once you tell the proggy how you want "this" number handeled.  A person of course will stop calling when they get this as well eh?

Dixon

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on May 24, 2012, 07:27:56 AM
There's always this option, but it has its pros and cons.

How can I set this up properly?
I got my info and can dail out. But can't recieve calls. I put in server name, username and secret on the obitalk site.
I don't know where to put the Registration String or Dialing Format.
What are the cons of using this?

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Dixon on June 01, 2012, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: MichiganTelephone on May 24, 2012, 07:27:56 AM
There's always this option, but it has its pros and cons.

How can I set this up properly?
I got my info and can dail out. But can't recieve calls. I put in server name, username and secret on the obitalk site.
I don't know where to put the Registration String or Dialing Format.
What are the cons of using this?

That linked article tells you what you need to do (and also explains the pros and cons).  The Registration String is only for use with an Asterisk server, and is not used with an Obihai device.  The dialing format is simply telling you that calls must be sent to the server using a full 11 digits (if you set up seven digit dialing, the Obihai should send it to the server in the correct format when you dial a seven digit call).

I'm not sure why you aren't receiving calls, but make sure that you don't have your Obihai device trying to connect to the same Google Voice account that you are trying to use with the gateway (for example, don't have SP1 set up for GV and then try to use SP2 to connect to the gateway which you have set up to access the same GV account).  Make sure Google Voice is set to send your calls to Google Chat and that you haven't made any filters or done anything else that might cause incoming calls to be diverted. Make a test call to your GV number and look at your OBi device call history to see if there's any indication that it arrived.  Go back through that article step by step and recheck what you did.  And remember, this is Google Voice we are using, so occasionally things just don't work as you expect, and then a day or two later, they do again.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Dixon

Oh thx! I didn't get an email notification of reply.
All my setting are default. I deleted my GV account on SP and set it up there. Still have CallCentric on SP2 for 911. Also have the free NY phone number now and will be testing that method too.
I figured as much for the registration and dial format.
Not home ATM, I'll try when I get home later and post back.

Dixon

Still same. Can call out, no inbound. History shows no inbound, just outbound.
GV is forwarded to Gchat. No other forwards.
Simon is configured on SP1. Status shows "Registered".
CC on SP2 for e911
Thinking about deleting and re-registering.

Dixon

To be clear. the OBI history show no inbound. The GV website show the inbound.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Dixon on June 02, 2012, 01:14:01 PMThinking about deleting and re-registering.

I guess that would be the next thing I would try, though it mystifies me why it's not working for you.  This is the type of problem that's so frustrating (and makes me glad I don't work in tech support) — when you have a configuration that works perfectly for most people but doesn't for a few, and you have no way of knowing the reason why it won't work for those few.  It could be a Google Voice issue for all we know, but that's just it — we don't know!

Dixon

Deleting and re-regsitering is the same. No inbound calls or history. Yet outbound works fine.
Just wondering if you use it MT? Or anyone else here has tried this. Registration is temporally open again.
It's an easy setup. Not much a user could do to screw it up. Seems like if outbound is working, inbound should too as long as calls are forwarded to Gchat.
Seems like the problem may be on Simon's end, or GV. Could be somthing I am doing wrong too. I'm not frustrated or looking for support. I like to debug things.
I'll try the wife's GV next.

pc44

Hi Dixon,

If you are already using Callcentric, just thought you may want to be aware of this other thread.  It seems you can receive incoming GV calls via CC with free incoming Caller ID Name.  Just thought you might want to know.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.msg22338#msg22338

pc44

Dixon

Yup. I am using that trick already. Works well.