News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Andriod - Bria, Fire wall and Xlite with GV.

Started by DaGimp, May 26, 2012, 01:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGimp

I've had my OBI for a few years now. I'm using it with GV and my Andriod Cell phone.

I'm planning a trip over seas and would like to be able to use my OBI to make/get calls while I'm there.
I'm also installing Xlite on my laptop for making getting calls. I'll be staying at hotel that will have WIFI.

I've given my OBI a static IP and forwarded port 5060 (is that correct port?) to its IP, I've also requested a domain name that I should have shortly. Should I be forwarding that port to the computer hosting the OBITalk app that xlite is connecting to?

I'd like my Obi to ring on Xlite and the obi or bria SIP/VOiP app on my andriod phone. Right now I'm not able to have both connected at the same time. I have a OBI 110, is there a OBI that supports multiple connections?

I've read http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2129.0 this post that explains how to get multiple devices to ring on incoming calls. But I have the same problem the other user did, on reboot the settings are pulled from my account and the changes I made are over written. The instructions explain changing a setting on the Obi that I assume tells the OBI to not download those settings, my question is can you put those settings into your web profile?

TYIA

Stewart

Why are you setting up such a complex (and IMO potentially unreliable) system?

One possibility is running OBiON on the Android, with OBiAPP + X-Lite on your laptop.  This would not require a computer in the US, nor would you need any port forwarding or domain name.  As you noted, you can configure the OBi to fork incoming calls to both laptop and cell phone.  To avoid the reboot issue, you must either make all the changes in the OBiTalk portal expert configuration, or you can disable provisioning and make changes only via the OBi web interface.  You cannot mix the approaches.

More robust, albeit more expensive, would be to use GV from your laptop via Gmail (does not depend on OBi) and also forward GV calls to a free or paid DID that in turn forwards to your cell phone.  See my comments at the end of this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2504.0 .

What country(ies) will you be visiting?  Cell phone carrier(s) there?  Will you have a data plan?  Smartphone?

DaGimp

I wont be taking the OBI with me so I want as many options to use it as possible. If I dont purchase a tablet then I plan to take my andriod phone and use it on wifi only.

If I'm over complicating this then please let me know, this is a first shot at this.

My OBI will be staying home and its on a router, so I assumed to reach the obi I'd need some sort of way of finding my IP address (DNS) and then to forward packets to the Obi. Does the web service take care of all this?

Will my Obiapp on my laptop connect to the OBi if I'm not on my home network?

I'm having problems with the OBIapp on my andriod, if I just dial the number then no one can hear me and I cant hear them. If I connect to obi and then dial out then it work.

Also where do I find the expert configuration page? I'd like to change the settings in the obi web site, that way if I have to replace or upgrade the obi later then the settings will still be there.

EDIT: I found the expert config.

DaGimp

Oh, and I plan on getting a prepaid phone of some sort when I get there for limited local use. I dont know about options for  a data plan but I was planning on using the hotels internet.

I will be going to Thailand, Cambodia and possibly Vietnam. Future trips may include China or Japan.

Stewart

We have a winter place in Bangkok, so I know a bit about the services there.  Though there is very little free Wi-Fi, the carriers, especially True and DTAC, have a huge number of (paid) hotspots, access to which is included with many of the phone plans.  I'll try to answer any other questions you may have about service there.  I've never been to Cambodia or Vietnam.  My limited experience in Japan and China was before smartphones became popular; I used commercial callback services to make calls.  You can also set up the OBi to do callback, using any service you like.

If your Android phone is on AT&T or T-Mobile (i.e. it's a GSM model) and is unlocked (get unlock code from your carrier if you've had an account in good standing for awhile, or root and unlock it yourself), a SIM such as this may meet your needs: http://www.truemove.com/en/Inter-SIM-Prepay.rails .

Both OBiAPP and OBiON register to an OBiTalk server, as does your OBi device; the system does not depend on being on the same LAN.  You can test this by connecting at a friend's or at a local hotspot.  Possibly, your audio problem with one-stage dialing was related to trying to bypass the Internet and it will work ok when the clients are on a different network.

Alternatively, you can connect to the OBi via a SIP service; a free PBXes account may meet your needs. My setup has the OBi as a sub-PBX and can do one-stage dialing.  Also, PBXes can fork incoming calls to multiple clients.

For non-VoIP calls to your cellphone, you can have the OBi bridge the call.  Using GV to Thai mobile is $0.03/min.  There are of course lower cost alternatives, such as CallWithUs or a Betamax brand.

You might get a PSTN DID that forwards to your mobile, e.g. Callcentric, Anveo or Localphone, which would avoid dependence on the OBi, at somewhat higher cost.