News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Power Outage Situation

Started by MurrayB, April 23, 2012, 05:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MurrayB

Interesting situation that I am trying to analyze. There was a power outage due to a storm. The FIOS battery backup only works for the phone service and the data drops out. The Obi 110 and the router is on a UPS which was operative and supplying power all lights were lit. I went to call the power company to report the outage on the 800 number with the default on SP2 Google Voice I got the male OBI voice saying no service etc., expected because I then realized that the data was not in service and the 800 call would be attempted to be transported on the internet due to the default. I hit the # key to get the PSTN dial tone which I frequently do to call people on local numbers I want my caller ID they would recognize and nothing happened - no dial tone. The PSTN line was working fine and I was able to call plugged directly into the PSTN jack. It did not occur to me to dial **8 in the heat of the moment operating by flashlight.

The power has returned and I get the PSTN dial tone with the # key.

I am looking forward to learning what I might be missing.

Ostracus

Might have a model with the missing relay.

Stewart

The default value for Line Port -> LineInUseVoltageThreshold is 25 -- I'm guessing that when on battery, the ONT supplies less than that, so the OBi thought the line was in use and wouldn't connect the call.  Test by removing AC power from the ONT and checking the OBi's Line Port Status -> TipRingVoltage.  If desired, set LineInUseVoltageThreshold to a few volts less.

Alternatively, for the Phone port, set EnableLINEPortBargeIn, which will allow # to connect to the Line port at any time.

Of course, the best solution would be to feed the ONT with protected power, but I've heard that VZ often makes that difficult by installing it e.g. in the garage.

I don't have FiOS, but have two systems that are somewhat similar.  One is AT&T U-Verse.  Though far inferior to FiOS in most other respects, they do provide a beefy battery that can power the entire iNID for several hours.  The other is Orange FTTH.  They have no battery backup at all, but run fiber as needed to put the ONT right next to your router, so it's easy to supply it with protected power.

Stewart

Quote from: Ostracus on April 23, 2012, 05:24:54 AM
Might have a model with the missing relay.
Not relevant in this case -- the OBi was receiving power from a UPS and would not have gone into bypass.

MurrayB

Thank you for the replies.

Stewart the voltage change is something that did not occur to me and the barge-in I will set. My FIOS is in the garage by my spec. it is adjacent to the the demarc for all my lines and the telephone system. I considered a UPS which would be easy to implement in the garage but it is really not critical. I have replaced the battery in the FIOS system if I recall correctly it is the same one in the security systems and in my APC UPS systems.

I have two Obi 110 two different builds the one in question is the newer build but with the UPS the lack of a relay is moot.

On another subject Stewart do you or anyone else have any insight on the use of the Obi 110 with a 1A2 system? I have one of my Obi in service with a 1A2.

Thanks Again!