News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HELP Pls! OBI110 keeps going offline, no ping response

Started by BossHoggUK, May 31, 2012, 01:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BossHoggUK

I've a new OBI110 which seems to work fine (registered SP1 with SIPGATE [registered] and SP2 with Google Voice [connected]) but after a few hours it seems to crash as it is showing Offline on Dashboard and I cannot HTTP to the webpage. It stops even responding to Pings on my LAN.

On the Phone side it does give dial tone (after a delay of about 2 sec) and ***1 does come up with the status messages, option 1 does confirm the IP address, and if I use option 9 I can reboot it and it will work again for a few hours.

It has hardware version 3.4, the latest firmware:1.3.0 (Build: 2711) Device serial is: 88B01NAZZMCJ OBI: 200 280 363.

I've given it a DHCP reservation on my router but this did not help, and I switched it to static IP mode also without it helping. Is it a faulty device or a feature of the new May12 firmware?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
BossHoggUK

Stewart

Try setting the Ethernet interface to full duplex as detailed by RonR in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2859.0

Also, confirm that the static IP settings are still present (have not been overwritten).

Otherwise, I have no idea what may be wrong; try another Ethernet cable, port on router or switch, etc.

If no luck, try a hardware reset (with paper clip).  If that also doesn't help, it's IMO a faulty device.

BossHoggUK

Thanks for the suggestion. I've set option 27 and rebooted for good measure.

I will see how it goes.

BossHoggUK

It's gone offline again. same symptoms...

• two second delay to receive dial tone
  • no response on http to web page
  • no response from ping to IP address
I'll try the hardware reset, and after that may need to request a RMA from Amazon :(

BossHoggUK

Well I pressed the reset with a paper clip, nothing happened. I then pressed it for 10 sec, then it started flashing the power and seemed to then do a full reset.

When I log into it's web interface it is showing as SP1 and SP2 no longer configured, The ObiTalk is showing status Normal (User Mode) and everything appears to have gone back to default.

On the OBiTalk dashboard it is showing as offline permanenly now. Also in teh Expert it is saying device not online.

Do I need to do something to get it to sync back up with it's settings on the OBi site?

BossHoggUK

I removed the device from dashboard and re-added it OK.

It's nore reconfigured with SP1 (sipgate.co.uk) and SP2 (GV).

Will see how long it lasts.

I do notice however that every few minutes the DECT phone I have connected to the Obi Device keeps flashign to say it has an external call, which goes away after a second. I presume that this is the OBi's way of checking to see if a phone is still connected - is that normal?

Stewart

Quote from: BossHoggUK on May 31, 2012, 11:44:11 AMI do notice however that every few minutes the DECT phone I have connected to the Obi Device keeps flashign to say it has an external call, which goes away after a second.
That does not seem normal.  Is the OBi rebooting? (Check the uptime in System Status.)

Possibly, it's a VMWI refresh.  If your phone doesn't support VMWI, or you don't care about it, try turning off 
VMWIEnable for the Phone port.

BossHoggUK

disabling that did stop the phone from keep showing 'incoming call' so I'll see if that stops the network stack from crashing.

If not it will be winging it's way back to Amazon :(

BossHoggUK

It's crashed again. The 'Phone' LED is out, but the rest are on (data flashing) but no reposnse to Pings.

I've raised a support call as Amazon can't to a replacement, only a warranty return for refund, and I'd like to get this darn thing working!

BossHoggUK

Been running syslog for several days now at OBI Support request, but all looks fine till unit randomly stops talking to the LAN. Presume that the TCP/IP stack has keeled over but nothing in the log at syslog level 7.

Even tried swapping out the PSU for a Netgear 12v 1A one as the supplied UK switch mode one was whistling away to itself. Still no joy.  :(

Stewart

IMO, there are four possibilities:

1. Defective hardware.  Since you have already eliminated the PSU, your only realistic option would be to return the unit and get a new one.  If we can eliminate the other possibilities, that would be IMO the next step.

2. Corrupted flash.  Although you have already done a factory reset, you might try reloading the firmware, then resetting again.

3. Incompatibility with router or switch to which it's connected.

4. Firmware bug, triggered by unusual traffic on your LAN or from your provider.

Can you connect the unit through your PC?  For example, PC connects to router via Wi-Fi, Internet Connection Sharing on PC of Wi-Fi interface to Ethernet interface, OBi connected to PC Ethernet port (via crossover cable if needed).

This would do three things:

1. It might stop failing, because it would see a different physical Ethernet interface.
2. It might stop failing, because it would be "shielded" from most broadcast traffic on your LAN.
3. If it still fails, you could easily capture traffic with Wireshark, which may show what kills it, or if any packets are still being sent or received, when in the crashed state.

sjn00b

I have the same problem now. This was not an issue on the older firmware though I am not certain the new firmware is the cause.

sjn00b

i reflashed to the previous firmware which caused the new firmware to get applied once more. i could not see a way to turn off the automatic firmware update. anyway, i will monitor once more to see if the device continues to be inaccessible.

sjn00b

obi was plugged into my switch. even after the firmware reflash, it went down after a few hours. i have since moved the obi directly to the uverse gateway and its up longer. will keep you posted.

sjn00b

well, apparently it went down once more. i have had the obi110 for a few months and this just started happening a few days ago. i hope obi has a fix for this very soon.

sjn00b

I changed the OBi to use 100MB Full duplex and the problem persisted. I have moved the Obi across different switches and routers in the house and still OBi was going down. I could not ping it until I restarted the router and then it would be inaccessible once more after some time.

Here is what I have done and it seems like Obi is still accessible and working for 7 hours already:

Previous config - Linsys e4200 and WNR1000 acting as wireless access point (all in 1 network 192.168.1.x):
Uverse gateway acting as DHCP -------Linksys E4200------Gigabit Switch-----OBi110
                                                     L-----Netgear WNR1000         

New config - Linsys e4200 acting as wireless access point (on 1 network 192.168.1.x) and Netgear running as DHCP server for new network (10.0.0.x):
Uverse gateway acting as DHCP -------Linksys E4200------Gigabit Switch
                                          L-----Netgear WNR1000-----OBi110

In addition, I had to do enable port forwarding from the Uverse gateway to the netgear and from the netgear to the Obi.

This probably isolated all the traffic going on in the 192 network that was causing the OBi to go down. Needless to say that the Obi is the only device that was having a problem on the 192 network. My suggestion is to have Obi be able to handle such traffic.

aharond

Quote from: sjn00b on June 08, 2012, 01:57:11 PM
well, apparently it went down once more. i have had the obi110 for a few months and this just started happening a few days ago. i hope obi has a fix for this very soon.

I hope so otherwise back to Vonage for me, and I was beginning to tell people about OBi, guess not any more