News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Husband deployed to Turkey - Please help with Obion app/Droid 3 Disconnecting

Started by ckGA, July 03, 2012, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckGA

My husband is active duty military and is in Turkey:  my goal was that the Obitalk app would keep me in touch with my husband - I really miss talking to him.  I have called on my app from my Droid 3 (both using google voice) and so has he (same phone) and literally, every time we use it to call - doesn't matter the number, it disconnects after 9 mins 13 secs.  My router is AT&T's 2wire and I have made sure all the ports are correct according to the other threads.... I have uninstalled the obitalk app and unassigned it from the obi...then re-installed and still - same thing.

I can talk on my analog phone connection (google voice) connected to my Obi and I don't ever get disconnected...it's only when using the app on my Droid 3.  Someone really smart please help me...I miss my husband and want to talk to him - not get disconnected every 9 minutes when we do get to speak.

:-(

Stewart

Are you calling your husband on a regular landline or mobile number in Turkey?  If so, are you using Google Voice or another service?  Or, if he is connected by VoIP, pleae provide details.

Is your Droid connecting via Wi-Fi or via cellular data?  If Wi-Fi, does the problem occur on more than one network?

If you are calling a regular number in Turkey, a simple alternative is to dial your GV number from the Droid.  At the main voicemail menu, press 2 to make an outgoing call, enter his number, then press #.  Though this method does not use the OBi or the app at all, it will use your cellular minutes.  If your plan allows unlimited calling to specific numbers, you could add your GV number.  Or, if there is a fixed phone at your location, you could make the local call to GV from that.

ckGA

1.  We are both using Google Voice - and he is using it over Wi-Fi:  I am usually on my analog google voice/obi landline or my verizon cell when he calls...my end I'm typically never on wif-fi but I tried to use Wi-Fi here at home - hoping that was the problem and the same thing happened... so, wi-fi or cell coverage with Verizon I lose the call if I'm on the Obion app on my Droid 3 - but not if I'm on the analog phone connected to my obi I'm talking to anyone on a cell or landline with no worries.  But if either of the two parties are on the Droid 3 obion app...the call gets ended at the 9 min or so mark. (will get my son to download the obion app to his i-phone 4 and see if I can make calls through the obion without being dropped...to see if it's an android thing).

2.  As far as my Droid - I use both cell coverage and Wi-Fi - he's just Wi-Fi - and it still happens to me, regardless of whom I call...9min 13 secs and it ends the voice transmission - calling here in the US or if I call him.  Sometimes it leaves the call connected - but the voice conversation is over and you have to call again...if it (Obion) didn't just hang up and end the call.  
Part 2 of that:  It happens to both of us on any Wi-Fi network...he's tried several to see if that's the problem...same for me.  Regardless of the Wi-Fi - it ends the call.

Part 3:  When I use the analog landline at home to call anyone on another landline - it never disconnects (if I'm talking to someone on landline or cell) and I can talk for an hour... if I use the Obion -always disconnects at 9 mins or so.

Thank you!

ckGA

@Stewart ---- very interesting.  I just bought my son a Iphone 4.  I installed the obion app and called over wi-fi and cell coverage and was able to talk without the calls being disconnected.  Obviously this is not my router as both my home analog>obi and the iphone obion app...both work without any dropped or disconnected calls.

Any suggestions on what to do/update, etc. with the Droid 3's to make the obion app work without disconnecting the calls?

thanks - c

Stewart

Please confirm that you have the call drop problem even when your OBi device is not involved, i.e. you call directly from one Droid 3 to the other, using the 9-digit OBiTalk number or the corresponding speed dials.

Assuming that the above is true, you have some pretty strong evidence that there is a problem specific to the Droid 3.

My suggestion, at least for the short term, is to avoid that app and communicate some other way.

You could try a different GV app, such as Talkatone or GrooVe IP.  For either, you should use a separate GV account, because GV does not support more than one Google Chat client registered to the same account.

Alternatively, try a SIP app (decent free ones include CSipSimple and SIPdroid) with a free Callcentric account.  Though this is more work to set up, it's IMO likely to result in better quality, and is easier to troubleshoot, should you have a problem.  Set up the Droid 3 app first and confirm that you can call the 17771234567 CC test number.  Then, get a second CC account and set it up as SP2 on your OBi.  Call from one to the other and confirm that the calls don't drop.  If you get this far, set up a third account for your husband and tell him how to install and set up the app.

ckGA

Stewart - I literally just had a 45 minute conversation with my husband - soft phone to soft phone on each of our Droid 3's... it dropped the call every time at the 9 minute mark.  He called me on my soft phone through the speed dials within the obion and I called him the through mine on the speed dials -- just to make sure it disconnected us both at the 9 minute mark; it did.

I also just went out pulled out my old Droid - original.  I installed the obion app to it and made calls via wi-fi and the same thing happened - disconnected at the 9 minute mark.  I use my home/analog obi and phone a lot but only use the obion to call home and it's typically not for more than 9 minutes --- so either I never talked on the obion app long enough to notice the 9 minute disconnect or is it possible they just updated software, etc., and it is conflicting with something in the Droid 3?

How do I report this to Obihai?  I'm no where near being able to upgrade to a new phone and am stuck with my Droid 3 for now...and this could make for a long year if they can't help me get this solved.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Stewart.

Stewart

Quote from: ckGA on July 04, 2012, 11:02:46 AMHow do I report this to Obihai?
http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm.php

Quote from: ckGA on July 04, 2012, 11:02:46 AM
I'm no where near being able to upgrade to a new phone and am stuck with my Droid 3 for now...and this could make for a long year if they can't help me get this solved.
Try the suggested workarounds; there is no financial cost -- just some of your time.  (GrooVe IP is a paid app, but you can test quality and stability with GrooVe IP Lite.)

I would estimate that in about an hour, you can set up a new GV account and test it with both GrooVe IP and Talkatone.  It might take two to three hours to set up Callcentric accounts, install and test a SIP app, and get CC running on your OBi.

ckGA

Thanks so much... the SIP instructions are greek to me :-/  - thank you for all your help.

QBZappy

ckGA,

Couldn't you simply call each other via GTALK, or even Skype. I believe there are clients for your droids. There are very few configuration steps involved setting these up.

If he uses a GTALK client, you can give him the ability to call the OBi unit in your home to make it possible for him call other friends and family as well.

If the Obion doesn't work as expected on your droid then a GTALK client+OBi combination can offer almost every feature that the OBion can offer.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ckGA

Thanks for the response:

You can use google talk in Turkey if you have an activated, registered cell phone there; they have a law about that.  Otherwise, it blocks any kind of calls - including google voice, if it's not registered (since they actually ring your phone).  The obi slides under it using only data and Turkey does not pick it up as a call --so it will ring and work over wi-fi- via the obion app... where the google voice does not. 

The google voice worked  - rang, called, etc., until his phone was locked up by Turkey for not registering it and buying a plan with them...the plans are pointless for international calling.  Skype charges a fee and the call quality really sucked over skype for us. 

Honestly, the obi calls are far superior --- they just cut off after 9 mins.  :-/

Thanks so much.

I am confident that the tech staff at obihai will help me resolve this as I have submitted a request for assistance.  Any other ideas are appreciated and thanks again.

Stewart

You should give Talkatone and/or GrooVeIP a shot.  It's really pretty simple.  Start by setting up a new Gmail account and a new Google Voice account linked to the Gmail account.  Make a test call from Gmail on your computer.  Then, install the Talkatone app on your Droid and tell it to use the new account.  Make a call to a local friend and confirm that quality is good and the call does not drop after 9 minutes.

If you get this far, set up a third GV account for your husband, have him get the app, and you should be good to go.