News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling in for messages

Started by flex25, June 06, 2012, 03:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flex25

I am learning to use my new Obi 110 with Callcentric on SP1 as my primary line, and GV on SP2.  SP1 rings my home phone, which has an answering machine attached.  The answering machine pickup time is less than the Callcentric voicemail pickup time, so calls that go to my home phone get picked up by the answering machine if nobody's home.  Currently, all incoming calls except blocked anonymous and toll free numbers get sent to my phone, and get answered by my answering machine.  Eventually, I'll be adding call treatments to deal with any telemarketers, robocalls, and perhaps unknown callers, not sending them to my phone, so I will eventually need to check messages on my phone answering machine and Callcentric voicemail in order to get all messages.  GV on SP2 is set to go to Google voicemail currently, but I will set it to ring my phone sometimes (when I am expecting a call from a delivery person, for example).

My question is, how do I call in remotely to check my messages on Callcentric and GV voicemails, if when I dial my Callcentric (or GV) number from a phone that isn't my home phone, my answering machine will pick up before it has a chance to go to Callcentric or GV voicemail.  I can listen to my answering machine messages by calling in, but I don't see how I can call in for Callcentric or GV voicemail from a different phone.  I know I can check messages by logging into my Callcentric and GV accounts online, but I like the ability to call in for messages, particularly when I am traveling (when I don't always have online access).  When at home, I like seeing the blinking light of the answering machine when I have a message--it gets my attention at any time, unlike checking online for messages or alerts, so I want to use the answering machine.

Thanks.

Stewart

For access to GV VM from specific phones, e.g. your cell phone or your office landline, set up a Group on GV that goes directly to GV voicemail.

You can then set a Call Treatment on Callcentric to send calls from your GV number directly to CC voicemail, and reach that by dialing your CC number via GV.  For a simpler path, get a http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number and set a Call Treatment that sends all calls to that number to CC voicemail.

If the above does not meet your needs, please post all the constraints in more detail.

flex25

Thanks Stewart.  I like your suggestions.  I will set up something like that.  The other thing I thought of, after posting my question, is that I can easily turn off the answering machine remotely by calling in and entering a code, and that would force my next call in to go to Callcentric or GV voicemail instead of the answering machine.  That's a lot of calling in to check messages on the answering machine and it off, then call in again to check messages on VM, then call in again to turn the answering machine back on.  If I travel, I will try to remember to turn the answering machine off so that I need to check only VM.  Or, set up a call treatment as you suggest.