News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fork call caller ID problem

Started by Obvdobi, June 13, 2012, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvdobi

Hi,

My sister has an OBI110 installed in China. LINE port is connected to local PSTN line. SP1 is connected to Google Voice.  

Question 1: If I call from US on her GV number, I want the phone ring and the PSTN line to call her cellphone. How do I pass the original caller ID (any calls from GV interface)?
Here is what I have right now in SP's inboundroute:

{(xx.):ph,li($1>13141301010)}

Isn't $1 the original caller ID?

Question 2: I think it might not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If local PSTN call comes in, is it possible to forward the call to her cellphone via the same PSTN line?

QBZappy

Quote from: Obvdobi on June 13, 2012, 08:41:19 PM

{(xx.):ph,li($1>13141401888)}

Isn't $1 the original caller ID?

$1 variable only seems to work with Call Back feature of the OBi. I don't think it can be used in a dial plan as you intend it.

The original CID only passes when calling from OBi/OBiAPP to OBi/OBiAPP. All other bridging scenarios will show CID of 2nd leg of the call. This is a known limitation of the OBi. Some SP offer capability to spoof the CID, however GV does not offer this ability.

Quote from: Obvdobi on June 13, 2012, 08:41:19 PM

Question 2: I think it might not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If local PSTN call comes in, is it possible to forward the call to her cellphone via the same PSTN line?

Possible if the PSTN service can be set up to do it. The OBi can not bridge or CForward PSTN to PSTN calls.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

Spoofing caller ID on a PSTN call is not possible, even in theory, because the POTS protocol does not have provision for outbound transmission of caller ID.  The outbound leg could instead be sent via a VoIP provider (that does allow spoofing), but the call would of course not be free.  One possibility is Voxbeam ($0.0081 to $0.0152/min., depending on route choice and her carrier).

Alternatively, you could skip the OBi and call her via a "calling card" type of service.  With Localphone, once set up, you dial a local number from your mobile and it rings directly to hers; $0.015/min.  Another option is CallWithUs at $0.0095/min. (requires two-stage dialing, but you can probably automate that in your mobile.)

A third option is Rebtel.  You call her (it works like Localphone), but if she immediately calls back the number shown, the Rebtel call is free, though it uses her airtime.

Forwarding an incoming PSTN call back out the same PSTN line is not possible with the OBi.  (It could work with some devices, if the PSTN line has three-way calling or call transfer service.)  Instead, she could use a VoIP provider to send PSTN calls to her mobile.  If her PSTN line has caller ID service and she wants to show the caller's number on her mobile, Voxbeam would be suitable.  Otherwise, a Betamax brand would be less expensive.